Tuesday 9 October 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

FOR TODAY, October 9, 2018 


Outside my window ...
Its dark, dark, dark.  I have been getting up a bit later at six instead of five.  Must be the light that wakes me up in the summer months!  

 
I am thinking ...
I found some handy teaching tips a week or so ago on a site called The Exponent. I thought it would be a great resource so I signed up to get notifications of the posts, thinking it was a teaching helps blog.  I could not have been more wrong.  In the intervening weeks I have received several notifications of posts which appear to be knocking the leadership of our church and other negative things.  The latest one was comparing how many women spoke in our latest conference as compared to how many men. It mentioned even the amount of minutes that the women spoke as compared to the number of minutes the men spoke. The title of the post was "Where are the women?" I thought it was a very petty post.  Surely we all attend conference to be enlightened and receive revelation for both the church and ourselves??? Does it really matter who delivers it???It doesn't to me, and I'm a woman.  I listen to the talks and I am inspired. I like/love being a mom and a woman. Having and raising children was one of my greatest accomplishments, and one which I treasure deeply. I love my Heavenly Father and Saviour . . . . and I love the church. All have helped me to be a better me and brought great joy into my life.  I would probably wager that most of the women who were posting comments on that post were young women, who have bought into the media and world's ideology of how things should be.  I think they are so wrong, and bring so much unhappiness into their own lives.  Misery loves company and so they try to spread it.  I think its all very sad. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to belong to an organization you dislike so much?  What's the point?  I have stopped following. 


In the kitchen ... 
 

Cowboy Casserole 
 
Cowboy Casserole. Cheap and cheerful and a family favourite. Like a Shepherd's Pie with tater tots on top instead of mash.  

 
On my "To Cook" list ...
 
Sausage and Gravy Casserole from Written Reality.  Oh my goodness, this looks good. I would have to top with biscuits from scratch however as we don't get canned biscuits here.
  
 
Good to know ... 
 
 
Instrupix.  
 
I am creating ...

 
Happy in Red.  10 beautiful crochet edges for blankets, etc.  
 
 
A Cupful of kittens.  Inspiration only. I could find no source.
 
  
 
Ravelry.  The Lydia Shawl. 
 
 
Tipnut.  Free vintage Embroidery Patterns.  Its finding the white tea towel cotton that is the problem!  
 
 
Apartment Therapy. DIY Sewing kit from a small suitcase.
 

 Oh My Goodness  ... 

 
Tina brought back one of my jam jars filled with these.  Oh, MY . . .  yummy yummy!
 
I am reading ... 
 
  
 
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman 
 Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive – but not how to live Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend. Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything.

One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted – while searching for the courage to face the dark corners she’s avoided all her life. Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than… fine?

I am really enjoying this! 
 
Looking forward to ...
Talking to my mom on the phone tomorrow. 
 
Dreaming about ...
 
Kate Winslet's cottage in The Holiday . . . 
 
  
 
Tucks, gathers and 3/4 sleeves in linen  . . . 
 
  
 
A coat of many colours  . . . 



Rings on her fingers  . . .



A cross over cardigan in white  . . . 

Something to watch ... 

  

Keeping Up Appearances.  It just never gets old  . . . 

Makes me smile ...

  

Bunny whiskers  . . . 


A Quote for the Day ... 
 (¯`v´¯)
  `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
              ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 
A year ago, you did not know today,
you did not know how you would
make it here . . . ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 
But you made it here, by grace,
you made it here.
~Morgain Harper Nichols✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 
  `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ. 

Corners of my kingdom ...

  

Whale Tail and The Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, Lancashire, England. Pleasure Beach is one of the oldest and most famous theme parks in the UK.

And that's my daybook for this week!



  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 



Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   
 

14 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie. I am drooling Over the cashews and they are not my favourite nut. As for the tiny kittens in the cup I adore them. So dainty and so sweet. An old family friend compared my mother to Mrs Bucket. She was not impressed. Sadly I can see some behaviours match.

    Now to rings on her fingers and bells on her clothes. Yes, whenI taught blind children mum sewed bells on my dresses. The children could hear me coming.

    God bless you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore cashews! They are my favourite Nut Suzan! That was a kind thing for your mum to do! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. I think today, in most, if not all, kinds of worship groups, things are changing...women our age have probably accepted mostly having men in leadership...but more and more it is coming out how many bad things are happening in the area of sexual abuses...and some women who have had such a bad time of that, simply really need just women to learn from. Generally my experiences in life show that most men cannot learn from women either...so there is a problem isn't there? I wonder if your denomination might at some point consider having more women speakers available at least online for those women who have had bad things happen to them? My dad was high enough up in the church I was raised in, that NO ONE to this day would believe what all we had to endure at home. I can learn from men, though generally I trust few of them. I do not agree with mob rule and cannot agree with all that women in USA are currently doing...but there is such a big problem with abuse...and it is coming out!! I personally have nothing to do with facebook...in our family it would only cause me pain. From several sources. So hubby and I are knowingly and willfully ignorant. It is more peaceful this way. The internet has been helpful in ways, but I for one am not sure it is worth all the pain it has caused in other ways...I wonder... Take care, Marie...do what brings you peace dear.
    HUGS, ELizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mob rule seems to be ever more prevalent in these modern times. They shout louder! I see a move towards us being more spiritually and temporally self reliant as things gear up towards the Second Coming! Xoxo

      Delete
    2. Yes, one wonders about that, Marie...
      By the way, those rings are so pretty...I buy them sometimes but rarely wear them...and don't wear necklaces hardly ever anymore either...but I do admire them!!
      XOXO Elizabeth

      Delete
    3. I have my wedding rings and a small sterling silver pinkie ring that I got when I was first separated from my ex which became a symbol of freedom to me, and I got myself a cross ring a year or so ago so I could have a reminder of Christ with me at all times. I never wear any other jewelry for the most part and earrings only when I am going to church or somewhere special! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi, Marie! Oh, how very disheartening that site-- that was meant to help you--turned out to be! :( It is sad how things get torn apart, isn't it? All this comparing, and counting, and men vs woman, etc. I feel sorry for those women who have nothing better to do than complain. You were wise to leave that site, and more away from that negativity! I hope you will find something better, more positive, that will help you with your teaching. Oooo... your granny blanket looks lovely--I like a simple edging like that. How CUTE are those embroidered kitties in a tea cup?! MEOW! ;) LOVELY those vintage embroidery patterns. You're right, it's hard finding that thick cotton/linen for making vintage-y tea towels. LOVE that little suitcase sewing box!!! Your current reading does sound so good...I must look for that one. Ooo... I want to live in the cottage from The Holiday--home sweet home!! *swoon*... Those rings are gorgeous!! Keeping Up Appearances--that was such a great programme--a classic now! :) Happy week, my friend... LOVE YOU SO MUCH!! ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do admire pretty things Tracy. It is possible to enjoy from afar without having. I see beauty is lots of places. I have a grateful heart as I know you also do! Love you. Love and hugs to all of you! Xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love your finds..always so inspiring!
    A new blankie? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that jar of cashews does look delicious! I will be on the look out for some. So does that cowboy casserole. I love tater tots and always keep some on hand. There are so many ways to use them. I also make a dish with beans and wieners covered in them. Yum! Hope you have a terrific Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are almost TOO good Pam! You should like the casserole! I am sure I would love your beans and weiners one! Happy Tuesday! Xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hi Marie~

    Oh boy, I have heard about the, Exponent...not good! I always amazes me how people can find fault in good things, there is just no pleasing some people...so sad.

    I love all of your finds today - and I especially loved the, coat of many colors. I remember during my junior year in high school, some of my friends and I got into a 40's craze. Somewhere, I found a beautiful pink coat from the 40's, and that coat reminded me of it. We all wore red lipstick everyday, and one girl almost got expelled because of it...can you believe it!

    I love, Keeping up Appearances! I never get tired of the silly things they do on that show, it always makes me giggle!

    Biscuits and gravy is one of my go-to meals, especially on Sunday!

    Have a wonderful week, sweet Marie! XOXOX

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Barb, it is so NOT good, that sight. On that one particular post I dared to suggest that it was all in perception and that Conference was about receiving inspiration and revelation, end of... and that it didn't really matter whose voice delivered it or their sex or colour of skin. It was all Heavenly Father's voice. Boy was I shouted down. Nasty people! What a beautiful sight I am picturing right now, you in a bright pink coat with red lipstick! I had a bright pink Swiss Dot wrap around dress I made myself. I used to love the Style patterns, and Bonnie Bell makeup! Love the idea of Biscuits and gravy as a Sunday meal! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!