Monday 29 October 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 



It started Friday night and it is now Monday morning, but thank goodness I am finally starting to feel human again!  Whew!  A case of gastroenteritis which left me feeling blah, blah, blah.  I haven't felt that ill since I had food poisoning several years back. There was one point where I told myself I would rather be dead than feeling like this. Doesn't everyone get to that point when they are feeling really ill?  Anyways, I got through it and lived to see the other side.  Whew!  



The kindness of others.  I was contacted by a young mum from church yesterday, who has two very active young boys and is pregnant for a third time.  I hardly know her really, but to say hello to on Sunday mornings.  She had made a huge pot of soup for her family and wanted to send some over to me because she knew I wasn't feeling well and that you don't feel like cooking when you aren't well.  The kindness of her action really touched my heart.  Pride wanted to say no, she lives quite a distance from me and I know she has a busy life herself, but then I remembered that by turning down the kindnesses of others you are depriving them of the opportunity to serve, and so I said yes, thank you very much.  It touched my heart that someone who barely knows me would want to do such a kindness for me. Sharing your light with others when they are struggling with showing any light at all . . .  it a very good thing. 


Sunday calls with my mom, and Wednesday calls also.  I am so grateful for those minutes spent where I can hear my mother's voice and make her laugh and talk about thing we share together . . .  about the things that have woven together our family history, about our love for each other, memories . . . good times, bad times . . .  just family.  Family really is everything.   If you know someone who doesn't have a family . . .  why not try to include them in yours.  That would be the greatest thing you could do for someone who is alone in the world.  



We have discovered the cutest show on Prime.  Called Katie Morag, its actually a children's show by Ceebeebies, but it is also very entertaining for adults.  Each episode is only 15 minutes in length.  It is  based on the Katie Morag books by Mari Hedderwich and is about the adventures of a little girl called Katie Morag who lives on the fictitious Scottish Island of Struay.  Katie's life is full of stories of jealousy, bravery and rivalry and peopled by an annoying little brother, busy shopkeeper parents, a perfectly perfect best friend and a couple of grandmothers who between them know everything about everything. It is thoroughly delightful and we have enjoyed every minute of what we have seen thus far.  It makes our hearts smile, and we often find ourselves at the end of the fifteen minutes disappointed that it is finished already! 



My favourite moment of all the Gilmore Girls episodes, the first kiss of Lorelai and Luke. That was the episode we watched last night.  I am sure it must be the fourth time we are going through the series and it is as much a thrill watching it for the fourth time as it was the first time we saw it. This is a beautiful feel-good moment in time.  Tender and sweet.  I find myself holding my breath every time I see it.  


My other top favourite moment of the Gilmore Girls was when Luke and Lorelai dance at Luke's sister's wedding.  Its also tender and sweet and the song is perfect, which also happens to be the same song that is played when they finally eventually get married, way down the road.  Love this show.
 

   

I can't believe she is three months old already.  This little sweetheart has me wrapped around her chubby little fingers.  She is so pretty and such a thinker.  You can just see the wheels turning.  We just love her to bits.  She's a little charmer. So grateful to be a part of her life. 


 


Jakey.  This kooky grandson of mine that has me in stitches every time I speak to him. It will be his birthday soon and I have a card ready to go.  I am not sure what he is doing here, but knowing him, he is up to some sort of mischief.  Full of life, with a great sense of adventure.  He is the one who is the most animated when I facetime with them, and the one who is the most eager to share with me.  I love those moments we have together.   Of course I love all of my grandchildren. This is such a great photo! 


Although we struggle each month, somehow we always managed to have all that we need to be able to pay the rent in full every time rent due date comes along. Whew!  Oh, I know the church would help us if we needed it to, and we are grateful for that as well (its nice to know the umbrella of care is there), but we are just happy that we somehow manage to be able to make it each month.  I know we get housing benefit, which covers 2/3 of the cost, but we still have to try to come up with the other third each month from Todd's basic state pension.  Somehow we always manage it, and that is a great blessing to us.  God is good.  


  
(not my feet)

My toe is still healing nicely and I am hoping that soon I won't have to have a bandage on my toe at all and will be able to go back to wearing shoes fulltime. Now that the weather is getting colder, it would be nice!  Still, happy that my toe has healed well!  



Each and every one of you.  You will probably never know how much it cheers my heart that I have you to share with each day, or at least each day that I can.  Oh, I know, I would probably share even if you weren't there, but you make it all so much nicer.  I can feel you out there and I think of you when I am writing.  My posts really do feel like conversations with good and kind friends and that is largely due to YOU.  Love you all and thank YOU! 

And those are my small and wonderful things for this week.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.
Sometimes you don't feel the weight 
of what you have been carrying 
until you feel the weight of its release.
~unknown   •。★★ 。* 。 


 Quick Cinnamon Apple Nachos 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Quick Cinnamon Apple Nachos.  Yummo! 

I hope the week ahead for you  is filled with lots of small and simple things!  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!















6 comments:

  1. So glad you are finally feeling better! Hope this week is better than the last one for you. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I do too! Although this morning the cramps are back! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Glad you are mending so well..I love things that take care of themselves..:)You feel like a million bucks after!
    Lots of grateful thoughts in your post..Happy:) Jakey is so cute!And that wee one..oh I miss thighs like those..:) her eyes are getting round and big and beautiful..she will be a beauty..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Monique, she will be a beauty just like her mum! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to know that you are feeling better. I loved that this sweet friend brought you some food. We do need to let others serve us at times. That pride thing really does get in the way.
    Keep on enjoying those calls with your sweet Mom. What precious moments they must be.
    Your shows sound fun. I heard that the Gilmore Girls were a fun one.
    That sweet baby is so adorable. I can just imagine how much fun you are having with her.
    I love the adorable photo of your grandson. I am so happy you get to facetime with them.
    Today’s world is so expensive to live in. I’m happy you can make your rent. I worry that our money will last as long as we do.
    Your photo of your feet is cute. So happy that you are healing well and should be back in shoes soon.
    Sending love back to you dear friend. So happy that we have become friends through the years. You always brighten my days.
    Sending loving thoughts, prayers and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few things a bit you know with the Gilmore Girls, such as premarital sex, but they don't show any of it and its discreet and there is no swearing. Its just a cute show. I think you would like it! Love and hugs to you always LeAnn! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!