Wednesday 3 October 2018

October days and nights . . .



I just love the grey-blue twilight's of October . . . these shortening days when I can sit at the dining room table, looking out the back window and watching the first stars pricking through the dusk . . . try as I might to capture the exact moment when night-time slams the window down on the day, it remains ever elusive . . .



All too soon . . . darkness has dropped it's raven cloak over the quiet fields and it is time then to draw the curtains in and light the lamps . . .

 

 This is the time of rediscovering the joys of autumn evenings . . . the pleasures felt in low rooms, with warm and cozy ceilings . . .  luminous nights filled with stars . . .  the gentle art of baking something sweet and homey as the light dips low in the sky . . . 


 

 It's the smell of apples in wooden bowls . . . and drying pumpkins . . . decaying leaf and molding flower petals . . . the sight of dew covered webs which spring up overnight between drying branch . . . and moss covered walls . . .

 

 Noontime picnics and evenings filled with the smell of smoke from apple-wood fires, a knitted throw cozily thrown over the lap, and a mug of something hot and sweet between your hands . . .


 

How soul enriching it is to once again hear the crackle of the hearth and see the blazing logs amidst the golden glow of candlelight which is reflected in the gleam of old oak and freshly polished copper . . .

 

 Time too . . . for moonlit walks when the moon hangs low in the sky . . . blue smoke and pearly haze . . . the crisp sound of leaves skittering across the pavement as the nip in the air carries them along . . .

 

Oh that I could only capture this feeling, these sights . . . this smell . . .  in a jar . . . a thousand autumn days . . . from the days of childhood . . . to the autumn of my life.  T'would be magical, oh-so-magical  . . . 


I did another change of my dressing last night.  I kind of took a shower first.  No, we are waiting on the Engineer to come on Friday, but what I did was I filled the bathroom sink with hot water and then (because our whole bathroom is a shower room)  I rolled up the bath mat and stuck it in a corner, got all undressed, put my shower boot on over my foot and just doused myself with cups of water, washing my hair, etc. as I went along and then rinsing everything off.  Then I got dried off, dressed and came downstairs to take the old dressing off, soak my toe in salt water for 5  mins and replace the dressing.  I could tell that it had been bleeding a bit since the last dressing change.  Hmmm . . .  hope that is not a bad sign, and it is somewhat sore this morning.  I kind of wish that they wouldn't be in such a rush to get you off their books and do dressing changes for you for more than one time.  There is an emergency clinic you can go to on Friday mornings between 9 and 12, but we have to wait in for the shower engineer. So I am hoping all is okay with the toe. We will see.  

I've been given the talk my RS Lesson will be based on. It is going to be based on this talk by Sister Arbuto from the April, 2018 conference.  I am excited about that, as I love Butterflies and I love Sister Arbuto.

And with that I will leave you with a thought to carry with you  . . .


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛
"The Lord is in the details of our life."
~Thomas S Monson    •。★★ 。* 。 




Baked Mac & Cheese with a Crispy Crumb Topping 

In The English Kitchen today  . . . .  Mac & Cheese with a Crispy Crumb Topping . . . a once in a blue moon treat!

Hope your Wednesday is filled with love, light and laughter!  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!


8 comments:

  1. The feeling of winter coming. I love the time when one can snuggle down and rest knowing that home has withstood storms and winds and will keep you covered. How lucky are we that our homes are safe and well built?

    I don't do many hot drinks but they are nice at times. I love books and wish for a fire to sit beside while I read. It is way too hot her for a fire. Some people do have them but the house is soon too hot for my tastes. When it gets really cold I solve my dilemma by staying in bed. Our coldest morning was 0.9 this year and I can guarantee that only short workers experiences it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a hot drink now and then when the temps lower, Suzan, but I can imagine in the type of climate you have it would be a very rare occasion you might enjoy on. We are indeed blessed to have safe, warm and dry homes! We must never take them for granted! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I hate worrying about medical stuff..hope it settles soon for you.
    Well it's been a rude awakening leaving bright blue skies..warmth and no humidity to feeling chilled all the time:( Not humid at all in Provence..your skin show it though..get wrinkled up fast..but yikes it's dready and damp here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its REALLY damp here in the UK. Its really hard on the old bones. Oh, how I love the South of France. Would live there in a heart beat. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I do hope the toe will heal soon. Although it is a worry, it just sometimes takes time. I loved all the pictures and descriptions of October days. They are full of some enchanting times. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pam! It’s really sore today! I hope I am not going backwRds with it instead of forwards! It was doing really well, but I am probably not changing the dressings properly or something. I am trying. I may have to make an appointment and go in to see them next week. Happy Wednesday to you! Xoxo

      Delete
  4. I must say that you are so good at describing feeling for the season. I hang on and relate to every beautiful word yo write. You are so talented at writing.
    I am very happy you were able to find away to do a shower. It sounds hard. I will pray that you toe is OK. Do be careful and maybe not be up on it a lot. Maybe keep it elevated a little too.
    I know you will love putting your lesson together from her talk; it was an excellent one.
    Sending prayers, loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pampering it as much as I can LeAnn. I said to Todd yesterday I have probably been up on it too much. You are right, that was an excellent talk. I love Sister Arbuto. Have you watched the videos on her life? She is an amazing woman! Love and hugs to you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!