Monday 22 October 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 



I caught the wild geese flying over head on their journey south a few days back.  It is hard to put into words what the sound of that does to my heart.  It is haunting and at the same time soul-enriching.  It says that all is okay and everything is in its place.  It is a sound that has embroidered all the autumns of my lifetime  . . . it is a sound that has embroidered all the autumns before I was born and will still embroider autumns long after I am gone.  Home, home, it cries . . .  home, home. It is one of the eternal songs of autumn . . . . life going on as it always has and always will . . . . harsh and exciting, it announces my place in a beautiful and vibrant world.  



We had our Stake Conference at church this past weekend.  Leaders at the local and stake level spoke to us for 2 hours on Saturday evening and 2 hours on Sunday morning.  It is always a great chance to see friends you haven't seen in a while and have a bit of a catch up with each other.  We saw the Browns who we hadn't seen since our Mission, which was really lovely. The talks we listened to were really special however, and inspiring and uplifting. Poor Todd couldn't hear them for the most part on Saturday evening as he had forgotten to wear his hearing aids.  My friend Lesley's husband is deaf and it is always exciting to see the signer signing the talks for him, with enthusiasm and great gestures. (Lesley is in another church Ward so we don't get to see that very often.)  Some people find it a bit distracting, but I don't.  I just think it is amazing that we live in a world where everyone can know and "hear" what is going on!



Being able to help out a friend.  That always lifts me and helps me to feel like I have done something productive and meaningful. There is nothing better for bringing joy into your life than reaching out to help another in need. 



Answered prayer  . . .  my prayers are always answered, one way or another.  I love that I can trust in that. I might not always like the answers, but anwers always come. 


A life filled with enough.  Enough to eat. Enough to drink.  Clothes on my back to keep me warm. A roof over my head.  Relatively good health. Enough love and loving. My faith, the word of God, inspiration, peace . . . calm . . . life is good.  


  

I've said it before and I will probably say it again.  I really love our bedroom.  Its my favourite room in the house, and the only room which is exactly as I want it to be.  


A home filled with laughter.  With Todd, with Mitzie.  Enjoying a good conversation filled with laughs over the telephone with my mom and sister.  It really buoys me up! 



Toasted crumpets. snuggles and something good to watch on the telly.  Home sweet home.  


And those are my small and wonderful's for this week. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.
Scriptures are like packets of light,
that illuminate our minds
and give place to guidance
and inspiration from on high.
~Richard G Scott   •。★★ 。* 。 


Bavarian Sauerkraut 

We celebrated Octoberfest at the weekend with a tasty German meal of Bavarian Sauerkraut, Bockwurst and boiled potatoes.  It was delicious! 

I hope the week ahead for you  is filled with lots of small and simple things!  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!



 

 


5 comments:

  1. I love a dinner like the one you had for Octoberfest. All cooked together makes it a very tasty treat for sure. They say that happiness is homemade and I think you do a great job of it there. Life is just to short to be anything but Happy! Hope you have a wonderful Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a friend that helps out..even w/ advice:) And caring:)I can see why your bdr is your fave..in Provence the home we had has 2 bdrs..one w/ a king size bed..facing north..and a room a beauty fo a room w/ you beds stuck together like yours filled w/ sunshine..this time we used that one..I love that when one moves the other is not bothered:) That's 45 yrs of marriage for you;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love having the twin beds for exactlymthat reason. We are together but each have our own space and nobody disturbs the other. It’s very European! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your small and wonderful things post today. You always write such descriptive thoughts about autumn and I like this one on the birds flying home.
    Stake conference is a fun time. I love seeing friends I haven't seen for a while. Even in an area like this when we all live close we still don't see many in the Stake. I do love the counsel given.
    Helping a friend is the best and feeling of happiness always accompany service.
    We have so much to be thankful for and a home filled with happiness and silly moments is the best.
    Blessings, love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!