Sunday 7 October 2018

Ponderings this day . . .



October has always been known as the season of the Hunter's Moon, a name given to it by Native North Americans . . . long, long ago  . . . not that we get to see a lot of it over here in the UK, but when we do, and it is full . . . it casts a pure brilliance over the countryside.  You could sit in your bedroom in the dark and almost be able to read by the light it casts through the bedroom window.  The light of this Hunter's Moon gives a special glow to all below, gilding the falling leaves.

I hold a particular fondness in my heart for the smell of fallen leaves . . . musty and damp . . . it is a smell peculiar to autumn and one that I love dearly.  It mingles with the smell of blue woodsmoke from fires that are now lit in the cooling evenings . . . and the smell of burning coal.  This was a smell I had not truly experienced before I moved over here to the UK . . . but a smell I am most familiar with now, and a smell I have come to love and appreciate almost as much as those of fallen leaves and woodsmoke. 



Back home we would be raking and piling leaves . . . often damp and heavy from an autumn rain . . . scraping them into the compost pile, or banking them against the foundations of our house as further insulation against the winter's cold and snows that surely must soon follow.  I have fond memories of childhood autumns just such as this . . . embroidered too with the smell of burning leaves wafting through the cold damp air.  October truly is the jewel set in the hands of Father time . . . 




The month of Thanksgiving . . . and Halloween . . . of Harvest Home and the Hunter's Moon.  A walk in the woods brings with it the crunch of fallen acorns cracking beneath our feet . . . hard little nobbles that almost hurt as we walk upon them.  The hedgerows abundantly filled with the chatter of birds in the Spring . . . are now silent, and except for the crows which soar over our heads and call back and forth to each other  from the tops of the emptying trees . . . there is not much sign of life to be seen . . . except for the odd rustle beneath the fallen leaves of tiny woodland creatures hurrying home at the end of day.
 



 We do not  migrate as the birds do . . . but I notice a big change in the rhythm of our lives when the summer season ebbs . . . along with the cooler nights and that autumn haze in the air, comes a sense of urgency . . .  a quickening in the blood, a certain restlessness.  There are projects now which must be completed . . . which I have come to think of as our own form of migration . . . the stacking of the firewood, kindling chopped and waiting at the ready, foundations banked against the impending cold weather . . . summer screens are removed and glass takes their place.  The garden is cleared of dead plants and debris . . . broken flower pots discarded.  We wait for sunny days and then work diligently . . . for one never knows when another one will gift us.  I understand now that old saying . . . "Make hay whilst the sun shines" . . .
 



This is the time when suppers change.  Gone are the salads and cold plates of summer.  In their place are hearty soups and stews . . . warm puddings, and apple pies.   I love these autumn evenings . . . sometimes we walk, and our hearts are cheered by the golden glow we see beaming out from the windows of our neighbours . . . and, if we are lucky,  the brilliance of the Hunter's Moon.  Afterwards we fall into our chairs, tired and replete with the ministrations of our days.  It is a good tired we think, as we warm our toes by flickering flame of fire.  There is that sound of wind echoing down the chimney into the room and we think to ourselves . . . life is good, so very . . . very good.

May I always feel this way.

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
"Have regular hours for work and play;
 make each day both useful and pleasant, 
and prove that you understand 
the worth of time by employing it well.  
Then youth will be delightful, 
old age will bring few regrets, 
and life will be a beautiful success."
~Louisa May Alcott   •。★★ 。* 。 


Apple Jack Cookies 

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Apple Jack Cookies.  Scrummy yummy!

Have a beautiful sabbath day!  We will be watching more of conference.  We've been well fed already, and I am looking forward to more spiritual enlightenment today.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


12 comments:

  1. Marie your post is poetic. I can almost smell the smells and feels the leaves.

    God bless you today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes may you always feel this way.The greatest gift.When it ebbs..it's like your showers..you never take it for granted again.
    You write so well!!
    Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Monique! Happy Thanksgiving! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I think it would be good to migrate like the birds. I could go south and visit with 2 of my sons and their families for the winter, but then I'd be missing the comforts of home too. I guess I've adapted too well to living alone. It's nice to take a short visit, but home is still the best. Hope you have a lovely day there. We started with lots of rain early but it has stopped now and looks to be a good day here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally Pam. I like home best myself also and things being the way I like them. Visits and visitors are always nice, but being just the two of us in our home is nicest of all sometimes! God bless! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Marie!

    I love this post, takes me back to my childhood as well. We spent most of the fall months at the cabin, and it was a time of catching up for sure. Wood stacked and covered, everything taken inside and tucked away. The smell of pine smoke just hung in the air...oh, the memories.

    I have so many photos of the hunters moon as, Bob and I hunted! That's in the past now, too old and achy for that.

    I loved the pictures as well, so pretty!

    I have so enjoyed General Conference, and will be sad when it is over for another 6 months. Enjoy this beautiful day sweet friend!! Much love sent your way!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! I have enjoyed General Conference also. I am so grateful to belong to a church which communicates with its members in such a personal way twice a year at the very least, and often in other ways! Love you! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh sweet friend, another deliciously written post on Autumn, October and the preparation for winter time. Your thoughts were majical in many ways. I think you are such a wonderful descriptive writer. Thanks for the warm feelings that come to me as I read your thoughts. Sending warm love and hugs your way!
    I’m doing that 10 day fast so I won’t be by for a while. I will miss our daily chats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the 10 day fast but on Social Media LeAnn, so no facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I will still be writing here as it is such an integral part of my life and how I journal. Love you and will miss you! xoxo

      Delete
  6. "We wait for sunny days and then work diligently." Just what I took advantage of this evening. On spur of the moment I decided to clean up some dying plants (the impatient plants are still providing color)and trim the peony plants. Yesterday three of our teenage grandchildren helped replenish our basement with firewood which we are going to need very soon. 😊 Little by little we are preparing for colder days. ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's autumn Elaine! I love that your grandchildren are at the ready to help you out! Bless! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!