Monday 21 June 2010

The Simple Woman's Day Book



FOR TODAY, June 21st, 2010...

Outside My Window...

The sun is up and shining gloriously. This is the longest day of the year! Tomorrow the days will start drawing in again. That is something you don't notice at first . . . . funny how that goes . . . then all of a sudden you seem to realize . . . the days are getting shorter and it's getting dark earlier!


I am thinking...
About how changeable life is. You never know what lies just around the corner. It has it's ebbs and flows, does life . . . tis filled with plenty of good, with a measure of bad thrown in. We need some of the bad though, for if we didn't have it, how could we ever begin to treasure all that is good. Good would just be normal . . .

I am thankful for...
Loving parents that did a pretty good job of bringing me up I reckon! You don't really appreciate all that your parents are when you are growing up. It's not until you get older, and, perhaps not even until you have children of your own, that you begin to appreciate all that your parents actually did for you. I'm so very gratefull for all the love and care that my parents gave us. No, they did not take us on fancy holidays, or buy us lots of things . . . but they taught us the right things, and loved us, and were always there and still are there for us . . . no matter what, no matter when . . .

From the kitchen...
There is an incredibly delicious Cherry Crumble Cake, but that's about it. I need to bake some cookies I am thinking . . . a cookie would be nice!

I am wearing...
Pink and black pajamas. The nights are still fairly cool, which I don't mind. I don't like it very much when it's too hot and humid at night to sleep. You just kind of lay on top of the covers . . . feeling miserable, and hot and sticky . . . I'd rather feel a bit cold, coz you can always snuggle down under the covers and get warm. When it's too hot, you could take everything off and still be hot and miserable . . .

I am creating...
I have lots of ideas mulling around in my head. I need to get started on them. I will be taking my sketch book with me on my holidays for sure. I have pretty much got the barebones for the Primary Presentation sorted, now just have to start working on filling it out. I will probably be bringing that with me on my holidays too!

I am going...
I have a Primary Presidency meeting to go to Wednesday night and then there is a special, directly afterwards with all the teachers. I have been charged with baking scones for it, as they are serving scones, berries and cream. Sounds tasty!

I am reading...



Ragtime, by E. L. Doctorow

In Ragtime, E.L. Doctorow recreates an America on the brink of entering the modern era-a time when the United States begins to shed its Victorian values to accommodate and recognize its multi-ethnic diversity. Two families-one "Yankee," the other Jewish immigrant-provide the contrast that reveals this emerging America.

In an intriguing blend of fact and fantasy, the lives of these family members intertwine with some of the leading figures of the time, including J.P. Morgan, Emma Goldman, Evelyn Nesbit, and Harry Houdini. In words simple and spare, Ragtime portrays a mythical America confronting its reality. I remember seeing the film a very long time ago, and enjoying it, so when I saw this book, I knew I had to read it!

Excerpt

The following Sunday, Coalhouse Walker did not appear for his visit. Sarah returned to her room. It was now clear to Father that the situation was deteriorating. He said it was ridiculous to allow a motorcar to take over everyone's life as it now had. He decided to go the next day and talk to the Emerald Isle contingent, especially to Chief Conklin. What will you do, Mother said. I will make them see they are dealing with a property owner of this city, Father said. If that doesn't work I will quite simply bribe them to repair the car and return it to my door. I will pay them money. I will buy them off. Mr. Walker would not like that, Mother said. Nevertheless, said Father, that's what I'm going to do. We will worry about explanations later. They are the town dregs and will respect money.


I am hoping...
That we have a fairly pleasant week weatherwise. I have not checked the forcast to see what is in our future . . . most days I just like to leave it to chance, each day like a gift that is waiting to be unwrapped. Sometimes though, if we have special plans, I like to know what to expect.

I am hearing...
A ticking clock, the tapping of my fingertips on the computer keys, birds singing in the garden . . . the fridge humming in the kitchen. These are every day sounds . . . early morning sounds . . . my life sounds. I miss Jess . . .

Around the house...
I have a basket of ironing to work my way through. (The ironing is always there isn't it!! Just like the laundry!) Of course there is dusting and hoovering etc. to do as well. I don't mind. I rather enjoy loosing myself in the mindlessness of it all . . .

One of my favorite things...
Is going for long walks with my Todd. I have such a great love of nature that each time we walk it is like an adventure to me. I am always discovering new things and seeing something that I haven't seen before. I love our easy companionship that we share . . . we have so much in common, and enjoy so many of the same things. I am ever grateful for this love of ours. It has been an unexpected blessing in these later years of my life . . .

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
We need to begin organizing ourselves for our trip to Canada. It is coming up rather quickly now! We need to sort out our suitcases and the other bits and bobs of planning a trip. I have a sharing time to prepare for Sunday morning, which will be fun. There is such a vast difference in age that I will need to prepare two separate ones. I haven't done this in a while, and I've never been in a Primary that was large enough that they needed two separate sharing times, so it is a bit daunting!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



This how I feel sometimes . . . like I've just been through a storm and am now perched on the precipace of something exciting and new. Will I spread open my wings and soar? Will I sit for a while and ponder . . . until all the rain from the storm disappears and the sun begins to beat down on my head again??? It remains to be seen . . . like a hidden adventure waiting to be discovered . . .

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

Faith blossoms in the strangest soil,
Where once was doubt and unbelief,
A seed of faith takes root and grows
Out of an old and bitter Grief.
And flowers of faith are loveliest
Where there has fallen a dew of tears.
God raises up His sweetest blooms,
Out of the sorrows of the years . . .

And there you have it . . . my day book for the first week in June. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)

The name for these delicious potatoes may not be all that appealing, but trust me when I tell you these are totally addictive! A simple dish, easy to do, but always well received!




*Road Kill Potatoes*
To serve two, but easily adaptable for more
Printable Recipe

Everyone always loves these potatoes. They aren't really road kill, but I guess they resemble road kill somewhat, ceptin they are a lot more delicious and appetizing! People can't get enough of these, so I am thinking you will probably need more instead of less. At least that is the way it's always been in my house.

2 medium potatoes per person
garlic granules, sweet paprika, mixed herbs, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
olive oil for drizzling
8 ounces of strong grated cheddar cheese
4 spring onions, chopped fine

Put the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until just barely tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Drain well and set aside to cool completely.

Preheat the oven to 205*C/425*F/ Gas mark 7. Line a shallow oven tray with some parchment paper.

Take each cooled potato and smash it down onto the tray (hence the road kill) with a potato masher, without totally obliterating them, but leaving them merely with a flattened, nicely roughed up texture. Sprinkle the spices and herbs over top to taste. Drizzle them liberally with olive oil and then place the tray into the heated oven. Bake them for 35 to 40 minutes, until they begin to get all browned with nice crunchy bits. Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with the grated cheese and chopped spring onion. Serve immediately.




And on The English Kitchen today??? A delicious Cherry Crumble Cake!

11 comments:

  1. Good morning dear Marie,
    I hope that you are feeling well today. I bet you are tired from all of your traveling around with Jo and Colin but happy with the sweet memories of being with friends.
    It is past my "should be in bed" time but I wanted to say hello. I have Austin and E.J. tonight and I was afraid that I might be too busy to get to the computer tomorrow. My jury duty was put off for one day so they wanted to spend the night. We have had Claire 2 weekends in a row so I couldn't say no...nor would I want to. However, they are early risers so there is no chance of me sleeping in tomorrow.

    I'm glad that you have already put together the outline of the primary program. That was fast work.

    Enjoy your longest sunny day. I am dropping off to dream land now. Perhaps I will dream of you and we can have a lovely visit together.
    Many hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    Lovely post as usual. I hope you manage to get all your holiday stuff sorted out without too much stress!
    Aah Roadkill Potatoes! Ever since I made the first lot of these my family expect them at every get-together now....and there's never enough! Thank you Marie! ~~~ Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, dear Marie! Your Monday post always lift me! And at the moment, what with my father being ill really humbles a person...there is much to be thankful for--the gift of life, and this day! You week sounds very full, but very good. Hope your Primary meeting goes well... and with scones too, it is sure to! ;o) Very excited for you about your trip coming up--just days now! Happy Week to you both, my friend--LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be so exciting for you knowing that your trip is just ahead and then you'll be seeing your family. I'm thinking we will need some cookies here at the campground next week so I'll be baking those later in the week. Maybe you''ll be sharing a good recipe for some. I hope your Monday is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Marie - this was a great post, as usual. The potatoes sound wonderful. I have some that need to be cooked soon so I'll try this recipe when I cook next time. Since we're eating in the cafeteria during the week that's a few days away. Your cool nights sound blissful since it's in the 80s at night here and close to 100 in the daytime! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie,
    I made the asapragas tart last night for Father's Day! You're right... it is very easy but looks very elegant. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake looks so good! I liked the closing thought too. A trip to Canada..that sounds like fun too. You must be in the Primary presidency...I loved that, did that on a ward and stake level for years, it is truly a sweet calling! I like that you guys take walks together..so nice. Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your post once more Marie.Yes you will be counting down the days shortly to your trip home to Canada.I don't suppose you did the ironing today in the heat we have had did you? he-he if so you deserve a medal LOL!!Phew it's been hot here.(Not complaining though) we have waited so long.Enjoy your evening Marie.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just everything we love most in this house: cheese, onions and the humble spud! Kove it, love your posts and love you.

    Big hugs,
    Angie,xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading your daybook very much. It was quiet and thoughtful.

    Don't you love late Spring weather, when the evenings are still cool...They don't last forever, but feel like a revelation, every single one.

    Are you celebrating Midsummer Eve? Do you know anyone who does?

    I think those scones, cream and berries sound divine. Makes me want to make some..

    Good luck with your Primary activity. We are in Primary, too, my husband and me. We teach wiggly, giggly 5 yos.

    Have a lovely, lovely first day of Summer!

    God bless,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie
    I enjoyed reading your daybook today and I have missed visiting you. I am so happy that you get to go to Canada and see your family. It is an answer to prayer isn't it? You must be so excited.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!