Friday 18 June 2010

For I am fearfully and wonderfully made . . .



The roses under my window make no reference to former roses or better ones; they are for what they are; they exist with God today. There is no time to them, there is simply the rose . . . it is perfect in every moment of it's existence.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oftimes I look in the mirror and I think to myself, if only I was prettier . . . I don't think I really have ever been what you would call pretty, and it seems as I get older, the hope of ever being pretty fades with every day that passes . . .

I'm sure that each of us on occasion wish we were other than who we are. We might like to be taller, or shorter . . . slimmer, or even a bit heavier (I wish!) . . . We might wish that we had a different colour of hair, or straighter hair, or curlier hair . . .



We might wish that we had different colour eyes, or fuller lips . . . longer legs, or narrower hips. Thinner thighs . . . or smaller ears . . .

We often spend an inordinate amount of time worrying over what is, at the end of the day . . . only a tiny fraction of our lives.

When we look at a rose . . . we only see the rose . . . each one a picture of beauty, created uniquely and in the manner which our Heavenly Father wishes them to be. A bud is beautiful . . . the full blown flower is beautiful . . . the petals that fall . . . yes, beautiful . . . even the stamen left behind is beautiful.



Every rose is different, no two are exactly the same. They may look similar, but . . . each one is unique. Each one has it's own beauty and so it is with all of God's creations . . .

The world would tell us that in order to be beautiful we have to fit within a certain mold, be a certain weight . . . look a certain way. It is false . . . there is no truth to it . . .

How could any daughter of our Heavenly Father be less than beautiful . . . and what could be more beautiful than a woman who has taken the time to develop and nurture her spirit . . . that very part of her which comes from God, and is divine.



True beauty comes from within . . . not from a jar, or a bottle . . . or in a particular size or weight . . . or wearing a particular piece of clothing . . . it is not a lie, or false, or fading . . . it exists with God . . . today.

I need to remind myself of this today and praise my Heavenly Father for what He has created, and remember who I am . . .

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. ~Psalm 139:14

We have friends arriving today from Kent. Jo and Colin. I am really excited about their visit and can't wait to see them! We'll be touring Chester this afternoon and then going out for an Indian meal at an Indian Buffet place we discovered recently. We haven't eaten there, but the reviews are good. Then tomorrow we will be taking ourselves off into Wales for the day to do some walking and to check out some of the beauty there. I hope the weather holds out!!

Here is a delicious quick supper that always goes down well with my Todd. He is a man of simple tastes, and you can't get much simpler than this! Quick, easy and very tasty!!




*Bacon, Egg and Cheese Toastie*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is a wonderful way to have your breakfast, all stacked together in one delicious pile! Every forkfull brings you a taste of bacon, egg, cheese and toast, all together in one lucious mouthful!

4 slices of thick country style white bread
12 slices of dry cure streaky bacon
8 ounces medium cheddar cut into slices
1 TBS butter
4 large free range eggs

This is my secret way of cooking bacon so that there is no grease on top of your stove and no messy pan to clean up afterwards. Preheat your oven to 220*C/425*F/Gas mark 7. LIne a rimmed baking sheet with aluminium foil. Lay the bacon slices out onto the baking sheet without overlapping. Pop the pan into the heated oven and bakc for six minutes. Turn the pan around 180 degrees and bake for another four to seven minutes, depending on how crisp you like your bacon. (For this recipe you will only want it medium done and not too crispy as it will be going under the grill after.) Remove the bacon to a plate, lined with paper kitchen towelling to drain. I then blot the top with more kitchen toweling. You can then just pitch foil wrap into the bin and you have a clean oven tray to continue with the rest of the recipe!

Heat your grill while you make the toast. Toast the slices of bread until they are medium toasted, not really dark as they will be going back under the grill and you don't want too crispy a slice. Once toasted, lay each one out onto the baking sheet and cover them equally with the cheese slices. Divide the bacon equally amongst them and lay it on top of the cheese.

Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat and pop some butter into it. When the butter is foaming, crack in the four eggs. Turn the heat down to medium and cook them slowly for a few minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are as done as you like them. If you don't want them sunny side up, you can flip them over if you like. When they are done to your taste, turn out the heat and remove the pan to the side while you grill your toasties.

Pop the tray with the bread, cheese and bacon on it, under the grill and grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling, and the bacon is as crisp as you want it to be. This should only take a few minutes. Remove from the grill and place a fried egg neatly on top of each. Remove to heated plates and sprinkle each with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.



Over on The English Kitchen this morning, a delicious Three Grain Salad!



16 comments:

  1. I saw a picture of you as a bride and you were very beautiful! We all age but we still can be a beauty...even a dried rose is beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words and oh so true, Marie! We girls must always remember that God made us each in His image. We are perfect in His eyes and we must try to accept that and live that truth! Thanks for the gentle reminder!

    The toast looks wonderful. I love eggs. Hope you have a lovely visit with friends...rain or shine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way...I just wanted to tell you how adorable your sweet dolls are. I was just browsing your etsy shop....you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words overflowing from a beautiful heart. I've not seen your picture, Marie, but I know you are a beautiful person inside and out!

    It's been a while since I last visited. I'm glad I did today. You always have your way of blessing people's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many times do you have to be told Marie you are beautiful.My teddy bear is 61 yrs old and I still tell him he is beautiful as raggedy and old as he looks.A little like myself many days when I look in the mirror as you do heeeeeeee.So this is the last time I am telling you,you are beautiful as in the song.In fact God gave you extra beauty Marie you are one of his special roses.I hope you have the most wonderful time with your Dear Friends and just said a short prayer for you all,some lovely sunshine and safe journeys.I am away now to make myself a very large bacon egg and cheese toastie Mmmm he-he.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Dear Marie! What a sweet post, my friend... It's funny, we all wish something different for ourselves in our looks. Not always easy to remember we're each made unique for a reason. Beauty inside is the best beauty of all. :o) Enjoy a lovely time with your friends to visit--such fun! Egg, bacon, toast cheese--nice comfort food. Happy Days--LOVE YOU LOTS!! OXOXO ((BIG HUGS)) P.S. your Etsy shop is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beauty always comes from within no matter what age a person is in life. You can't help but be attracted to a beautiful soul.
    That's you Marie. You give yourself faithfully to all your friends and readers every day that God sends and help to light up their day.
    Hope you have the best of times with your friends from Kent.
    I know you will find loads of beauty spots to bring back inside your camera to share with us soon.
    Hugs to you.
    Jeanie. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a subject near and dear to my heart. We as women really tend to beat ourselves up over this one. On the one hand I have seen very beautiful women that were very unhappy over some minor flaw and then there are the others who never develop their spirits or character because no one can ever look past how beautiful they are.

    How would it be to wonder if every time you got a job or met a man that liked you or were treated extra special you had to wonder if it was genuinely something you deserved or just because of your looks.

    On the other hand I saw a woman in a store I was in yesterday that was very overweight and not very attractive at all. To compensate or punish herself or something, she had these hideous tattoos all over her arms. She was actually an employee of the store and I just felt so sorry for her because you could just feel her misery. It was like she was saying.."You want ugly, I'll give you something ugly to stare at...!" And then she has all these grotesque tattoos done to prove she didn't care. But of course it was painfully obvious she did.

    It is a complex issue. I have seen my beautiful daughters suffer needlessly over it and now I have five granddaughters to worry about as well. In my eyes they could not be more beautiful. Society puts a lot of pressure on us. We have to rise above it somehow and it is not easy sometimes. Knowing that we are daughters of a perfect God and beautiful in his eyes is a good start. Thanks for the thought provoking post, Marie! I love the analogy of the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how true. We worry so much about those things that really don't matter and worse still we are so hard on ourselves. I wish you a wonderful day with your friends and I hope the curry house is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just thinking of this yesterday, as I chose a pear over cookies. We need to try our best to be our best, and realize that we are truly beautiful inside and out for we are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us! Thanks for taking the journey with us as we welcomed our Elder home! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just thinking of this yesterday, as I chose a pear over cookies. We need to try our best to be our best, and realize that we are truly beautiful inside and out for we are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us! Thanks for taking the journey with us as we welcomed our Elder home! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love food on toast. Meatballs, meat sauce, eggs, tuna salad...

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are beautiful, then and now! i always wished i didn't have so many freckles and that i had straight hair. and had pretty nails. and pretty dainty feet. but as i've gotten older i've realized, thats me! nothin i can do about it but smile:) thats how i was created so its got to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Julie Harward.... I saw that same picture of you and you were beautiful..... and you still are. Your inner beauty shines through and makes you glow.
    Your beauty is evident to all those who know and love you.
    Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  15. This Bible quote is one of my favorites! It is true that we all forget that the true beauty comes only from within! Beautifully said and thank you for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!