Monday 28 June 2010

thoughts . . .



Take my pen, Lord,

Help me to write the words within my heart,
Guide my hand across the empty page,
Take my thoughts and harness them with love,
Let the lines be comforting and warm,
And so reach out and touch a seed of hope.
Take my pen, Lord,
Let the words illuminate the dark,
And like a little candle, light the night.
~Author unknown

I never know what I am going to write when I sit down at the computer in the mornings . . . I sit and ponder and then I just write what lays on my heart . . .

Perhaps my words will come from the inspiration of a poem I have just read, or maybe something that I have seen, or heard from a friend . . . or then again . . . it could be my thoughts . . . I am a deep thinker.



Always, I hope that I will be able to touch someone else's heart in a special way . . . that somehow my words will be uplifting to another . . . or a little ray of sunshine in someone else's stream of darkness . . .

Sometimes my words are few . . . sometimes they are plenty. . . perhaps even too much . . . always they are mine, and I can't help but share.



I sit here, each morning, before the computer screen and the sounds and life around me inspire my thoughts . . . right now I look and upon the wall just beyond the screen lay the dappled reflections of light from the early morning sun as it shines through the blind at our front window . . . it gently flickers across the wall paper and makes my heart swell with gratitude . . .

I do not know why that is so . . . but I am overwhelmed with feeling. I guess I have a grateful heart . . . a tender heart . . . and . . . I am thankful for that . . . and for this opportunity I have to share with you each morning. It is a blessing to me. It helps me to begin my day in a thoughtful way . . . much nicer than having to jump into the deep end of the day with both feet all at once . . . this is a much gentler, softer slipping in to my day.



I have come to realize in these recent months, even more so . . . what a gift each day is, and how very precious . . . how fragile the future is, even at the best of times. Uncertain and unknown, as apt to change drastically as it is to stay the same . . . and so I cherish even more the here's and the now's . . . the gentle soft spoken gifts of each day . . . small and simple pleasures and treasures.

My day is full of them. Thank you for being a part of my days . . .



Here's a quick and easy lunch or light supper. I always try to cook something simple on Sundays. Oh, sure . . . there are weeks when I long for the pleasure of a roast dinner, but I know that with the busyness of our lives on Sunday's, it just isn't practical. It's nice to know though that I have tasty little gems such as this up my sleeve, that are not only quick to prepare, but rather tasty as well!



*Macaroni and Cheese Frittata*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A frittata makes a lovely light lunch or starter. I particularly like this version because I love macaroni and cheese anyways!

3/4 cup of uncooked macaroni
3 ounces diced pancetta
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
6 large free range eggs
3 ounces of Parmesan Reggiano, coarsely chopped
a large handful of fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
freshly ground black pepper

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil on top of the stove and cook the macaroni, according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain it well, rinse, then drain again. Set aside to cool a bit.

Heat a 10 inch non-stick pan with an oven proof handle. Fry the pancetta in it for a few minutes, until it begins to crisp up. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds longer, without browning it. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them well together. Remove the pancetta from the pan with a slotted spoon. Stir the pancetta into the eggs, along with the macaroni, the cheese, basil leaves and a good grinding of pepper. Put the skillet with the garlic back over a medium heat and once heated, tip in the egg mixture. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until almost set.

Heat the grill to medium and slide the pan under it. Grill for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until completely golden brown. Remove from the grill and let it sit in the pan for about 5 minutes, then slide it onto a chopping board. Cut into slices to serve.

Serve warm or at room temperature with a garnish of extra basil leaves and a salad on the side.



Showing on The English Kitchen today, a delicious Angel Pie!

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet post Marie! I so enjoy reading your blog and the encouragement that comes from it. We tender hearts must stick together. Have a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we have been through difficult times, the value of each moment does increase. The lesson learned is not one that is soon forgotten either. When I was younger it seemed that I took the days for granted, but not so any longer. I hope your Monday is a wonderful one...it is raining here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mission Accomplished, Marie! You do inspire, uplift, teach and give hope every single day. It is truly a talent to give that gift of the contents of you heart to others. My cousin, Bill, the artist who died recently said..."I did not choose painting, it chose me." So it is with those who can write. So it is with you, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a sensitive soul myself, I can very much relate, Marie! Visiting you here is such a highlight to my days/weeks... I treasure your friendship so much. And I find much comfort, wisdom, insight and fun here at your blog. Thank you for all you share! LOVE your mac-cheese dish today...mmm... We had a VERY busy weekend here with family party, so for once I'm not feeling like cooking...LOL! Making easy bean, rice & corn burriots tonight. Must see about that Angel Pie... Happy Day, dear friend! Just days until your trip now--hooray! LOVE YOU BOTH LOTS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. such lovely words Marie. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your sweet words...and the red flowers...and that dessert...my oh my, that looks so good to me! Our words do have a great affect on each other, thats for sure..good thing this bloggy thing is so full of good women and good words! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wishes have come true, for reading your entry this morning put a smile on my face. Life is short, as I tell people. It is wise then to create wonderful memories. I can tell you have thousands of them. Have an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and by the way, could you email me directions as to how to place pictures where I want them on my blog? I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic blog Marie - I found you by accident but now Im hooked - I was feeling all monday night glum but now im glowing - thankyou...i'll definitely be back for more!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!