Saturday 16 August 2008

We Need Each Other



“We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other. These friendships are a necessary source of sustenance.” ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Because of the job I work and where I live I am quite isolated from people and have not really had the opportunity to make a lot of friends down here, other than the ones I have from church. To be perfectly honest, I have not one friend in the village, but then again . . . I don't live in the village proper, and I work so many hours during the week that I have not had a chance to meet anyone that lives there anyways. I see my friends from church every Sunday of course and it's always really nice. Sometimes we see each other outside of church . . . at Enrichment Activities when I am able to go, at a monthly scripture study group we started that we hold in each other's homes, when my visiting teachers come to visit, the cooking club that I host every couple of months or so . . . and at other times when we get together . . . just for the sake of getting together.



A lot of my friends are what I call my invisible friends. They are you lot, My readers!! Although we have never met in person, I have come to feel very close to many of you and I do consider you friends. After all . . . friends are people who care about each other, who love and support each other, and we certainly do that in whatever way we can. I like to think we touch each other's souls and that's a very special connection indeed, or at least it is to me!

I cannot remember my mother having very many friends when I was growing up. I expect that she was too busy taking care of the home and us children. She would have the odd tea party from time to time, but mostly she just had us and my father. I have noticed in her older years now, she has quite a few friends and they talk to each other on the telephone frequently and go to dances together as a group on Saturday nights. Yes, my mother is 76 and still kicking up her heels at the local legion whenever she gets the chance! She's lovely!



I have always surrounded myself with friends, whether they be tangible or invisible. I am a woman who enjoys the company and companionship of other women. I’ve had many good friends through the years, some younger . . . some older . . . all dearly loved by myself. When I make a friend, I make them for life, and I cherish each one of them for what they are and who they are. After all, friends are family you get to pick for yourself!

I have often heard it said that in order to have a friend, one must first be a friend, and that is so very true. There is nothing less satisfying than having a relationship with someone who only takes and never gives anything back. There is something very special about the easy camaraderie of two people, who know each other well, and can give and take with the ease of knowing the other’s faults and yet loving the other anyways, despite their shortcomings. I expect people to take me as I am, and so, I accept them for who they are in return.



I look upon other women as fellow sisters and companions in this great adventure we call life. We are not in this to compete with each other, but instead to uphold, cherish and love each other. When we see one of us beginning to falter and fall back along the way, we have a duty as a beloved sister to grab hold and help the other to come forward and to support and uphold her in every way possible. You never know when you might need the favour in return. At the end of the day, I could live without the companionship of a man, but I would dreadfully miss the companionship, understanding and friendship of other women. We’re really are all in this together! We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give!



I love you
not only
for what you are,
but for what I am
when I’m with you;
I love you not only for what you
have made of yourself
but what
you are making of me;
You have done it
without a touch,
without a word,
without a sigh;
You have done it
by being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
being a friend means
after all.

~author unknown

Here is a salad that perfectly embodies all that is good about August. Rich, earthy new potatoes. . . crisp and deliciously green runner beans, combine and held together with the lovely garden flavour of a delightful fresh pesto sauce.



*Potato Salad with Runner Beans and Pesto*
Serves 4

I love the flavours of summer . . . new potatoes, runner beans . . . always a delicious combination,especially when paired a lovely Pesto sauce.

2 pounds of yellow fleshed potatoes (Yukon Gold or Charlotte)
1 pound runner beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup Pesto sauce (I like to make my own, but if you have to buy it don’t use the jarred kind, try to buy the fresh one, available in the refrigerator section of the store)
¼ cup finely chopped spring onions
4 TBS white balsamic vinegar
2 TBS toasted Pine nuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put the potatoes into a pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes or so. Add the runner beans and cook for about 4 minutes longer. Drain well.

Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl, cutting the potatoes into smaller chunks if large, and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Mix in the pesto and the spring onions, tossing to coat. Set aside to cool completely.

Just before serving, mix in the vinegar, pine nuts and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve at room temperature.



This is my entry into this month's Waiter, There's Something In My.... being hosted by Johanna of The Passionate Cook. It's an event that's going on until the 18th of August so you still have time to play if you want to! Hop on over and take a peek at the rules!

11 comments:

  1. You write so beautifully and I look forward to reading your blog. I love Sister Hinckley's quotes. Especially her book "Small and Simple Things". You are very inspiring and we are blessed to have you as our "friend".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true about women needing each other, even if they are invisible friends. I know all my Invisible Friends have definately boosted my confidence.

    I did get your text! I sent you one back. I guess it didn't go through. Darn.

    How did your birthday go? Did you have fun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree Marie! We definitely need friends. Like you, most of my friends are "cyber-friends". But I do have a few ladies I enjoy spending time with. Much love - RAquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also so agree, and feel the
    same way .as you in so many things
    I also love Sister Hinckley's words... I dont have that book, I'll have to have a look for it.
    The salad sounds lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loveliest post, Marie! Women need other women friends in their lives, it is sooo important. Like you I have few "real life" friends due to location and situation. And as I live overseas, my own family & many friends are in my homeland. I miss the and the closeness of getting together with them. So most of my friendships are online--via blogging, forums, etc. I feel a friend is a friend--be they "real life" or online. I feel so blessed by my online friendships...and so happy to have found you "out there"! Cheers to friendship! Happy weekend, sweet friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to friendship Marie!! We started out as invisible firends but now we are real friends...its just a shame we live so far apart, you are always in my thoughts tho-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having met you in person Marie, I am pleased to call you my friend. And hopefully my next trip home we can have another get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words are very true Marie,women need to be there for women! exellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having many acquaintances is fun - having a couple of good friends is wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Marie..

    You are such a dear.. one who is so courageous to proclaim.. all the important things in life.. about our faith, about our Lord, about love, about friendship, about being true to ourselves, about trying to live the best we can.. it is so inspiring (for me at least) to be encouraged to keep trying.. even when we fall, even when we hurt, even when sometimes, we're just so tired..

    I remember about a year back when I watched the play "Menopause".. about the struggles that we women go through as we approach menopause.. it was real funny and was so entertaining.. BUT I was abit choked up / emotional.. thinking about the lot of women.. the women of today and the women of my mother's time.. but sadly, I was misunderstood.. and was asked to lighten up!

    To quote your poem (Marjorie Hinckley}..

    "And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old."

    How true!! Thanks Marie!

    Angela KL

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know, potatoes are a staple food where i come from and despite eating them day in, day out, i have never grown tired of them. they are definitely my good friends ;-)
    love the salad, thanks so much for bringing this to our picnic!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!