Sunday 31 August 2008

An August Daring Baker's Challenge



Do you know what day this is? Not only is it the 31st of August and a Sunday, but it is also the day I get to reveal to you, my darling readers, the Daring Baker's Challenge for this past month and how I did with it!

Yes, not only am I a Dorieite, but I'm also a Daring Baker . . . a member of that wonderful group of bakers that rise to a SINGULAR baking challenge each month and when I say challenge I truly mean challenge for it has presented me with some of my greatest baking challenges ever. With the Daring Bakers I have been able to face many of my baking fears and conquer some of them if not all.

I'm afraid due to work commitments, weddings and vacations I have been a very bad Daring Baker for the past several months, but I'm happy to say that I am back this month having conquered one of my all time fears, and successfully too, I might add! Yes, the dreaded Choux Pastry! Our challenge this month was chosen by MeetK and Tony Tahhan , who chose a lovely recipe Pierre Hermé from a cookbook written by Dorie Greenspan: Chocolate Desserts By Pierre Hermé . I have long wanted this cookbook, but sadly have never been able to procure a copy. Never mind, I have finally been able to bake something from it and SUCCESSFULLY! (Did I happen to mention that I conquered choux pastry!)





As some of you may know, Choux pastry is an enemy to me. Something that I have struggled with from the time I was a tentative teen up until just recently when I tried to make a Choux pastry ring for my other baking group. I was not looking forward to this challenge and, indeed, if I hadn't already missed three (count them one, two, three) Daring Baker's Challenges, I would have chosen to skip this one as well. But since I love the group and I had no desire to be booted out I rose to the challenge and am I glad I did, because I finally managed to make some Choux pastry SUCCESSFULLY! (you better get used to that word!)



I have to say that the recipe was a very good one and quite easy to follow, but then that's no surprise considering that Dorie wrote it, and as you know I am a fan of hers. Anyways, I followed it step by step meticulously as I didn't want yet another choux pastry failure under my belt. I'm happy to say that I did it! YES!! I did manage to make some eclair shapes SUCCESSFULLY!

This eclair recipe had three elements to it. First there was the choux pastry of course (SUCCESS) and then there was a chocolate pastry cream and a chocolate glaze. However we were given a bit of leeway in order to enable us to show some creativity with the recipe:

1. The dough used for the eclairs must be a pâte à choux from the given recipe.
2. Keep one chocolate element in the challenge. The recipe below is for a chocolate glaze and a chocolate pastry cream. You choose which chocolate element you want to keep. Then feel free to mix and match flavors to the base recipe.
3. Everything else is fair game. Enjoy!



I chose to keep the chocolate glaze and decided that I would turn them into profiterole eclairs and use an ice cream filling instead of the chocolate pastry cream. I hope that this was ok and within the standards of the challenge, but let me tell you I was just so darned happy that I had managed the pastry that I couldn't think straight! (Not to mention time and me running out of it being a large factor!)

I had some delicious raspberry ripple ice cream leftover from one of my Dorie Challenges that I needed to use up so that was my filling of choice.



My chocolate glaze ended up being very shiny and I don't think it photographed very well for me, but that could be because I was not patient in waiting for it to set up.

The fabulous thing was that the making of these delicious delights coincided with the visit of my Visiting Teachers for the month so I was able to treat them, which they were quite happy with! Usually they feed my spirit and it was so nice for me to get to feed them for a change!



All in all I would have to say that I was quite happy with my results for this challenge, even if I did cop out and not make the pastry cream. I have always wanted to have a profiterole and never have so it was a first for me, and to have one that I baked myself and that was the size of an eclair . . . well . . . that was the icing on the cake for me! Oh, I do love a challenge and I do love belonging to this group. It enables me to stretch myself, and tread in places only Daring Bakers dare to tread!

Hop on over to the Blog Roll and see all the other delicious creations for the month! I am sure MeetaK will have the recipe posted on What's For Lunch Honey at some point today, but if not you can access it HERE !

35 comments:

  1. yum! Ice cream inside the eclairs. Congrats on getting them to puff so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so yummy. I want one! I used to have my advance cooking classes make cream puffs. I could never figure out why the pastry turned out perfect at times and not so good at others. I always demonstrated the same exact way every time.... and they followed my direction. (at least they always said they did)

    Have a happy Sunday.... I'd better get to bed or I'll be a grump... or worse yet...I'll fall asleep and fall off my chair in sac. meeting. Hugs as always, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Oh Marie they look great!
    I have not been successful in the past either..so these were a great blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How absolutely decadent~ You make my mouth water across the miles! what a great accomplishment for you to have come off the conquering hero...How lucky are your visiting teachers! Have a blessed Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Marie they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love an ice cream filled eclair! glad to see you back with the DB's and congrats on your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, how delicious!! Ice cream...what a great filling :o) And HOORAY, you got the pasty...Choux pasty is not something I've been to good with either. Such super results! Sorry not to have been by since end of last week...crazy-busy before we leave in a few day--LOL! We'll be home this evening, so hope we get to chat--missed you this week! Hope you & Todd are having a lovely weekend! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need one of those right now, Marie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMM what yummy looking eclairs - cngratulations on getting them so perfect!

    My Dad adores profiteroles and eclairs, and I have made them once before on a cookery course. However that was ages ago and it is high time i tried again. Now with your photos, what is their to stop me??

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yeah, the ice cream in the choux is awesome! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I once forgot to put the egg in some choux pastry. What came out of the oven was some perfectly round little discs from which most of the fat had cooked out. As they were they tasted a bit Yorkshire Pudding-y but sprinkled with a bit of icing sugar they were lovely little bites! Who said mistake?

    I do like your shiny finish.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great! When you complete your culinary empire, you should open a shop in Texas. Then I can eat your food all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yummo! I have been thinking of making eclairs for my daughter's baptism in November. Seeing this just made up my mind - all signs point to yes! lol! But I will have to do them small (many people to feed after all - plus they are Mormons - enough said lol) and I will will them with custard - I got my hands on four boxes of the stuff when I was in UT this summer. And chocolate on top is a must :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ice cream was a brilliant idea, and your eclairs look absolutely fabulous. Hurray for your success!

    It has been so interesting to read various individual's food blogs. We all have our skills, don't we? I mean, I see some of the recipes you whip up with ease, that I feel so intimidated by, but choux paste has been easy (and successful!) for me since I first made it in a Home Economics class over 30 years ago.

    I love the science of this recipe: properly made, the little puffs of dough go into a hot oven and then MAGIC happens! Simultaneously the water turns to steam and expands, the gluten you've developed by your mad stirring stretches, the egg protein stretches as well and holds it all together until the shell can crisp up and permanently hold the lovely shape. The butter, emulsified by the stirring, is distributed nicely throughout, giving you a wonderfully tender product.

    Because of the science, choux paste is possibly one of the most precise recipes you'll ever make. The proportions of water, flour, butter and eggs, and the oven temp., have got to be right for success. Everything has got to be measured out before you start, and you have to follow the directions to a T and above all work efficiently. If you lose too much water by evaporation, the proportions will be off. So use a small (to minimize surface area) heavy(to retain heat)saucepan and bring the water and butter (cut into chips so it will be all melted when the water starts to boil) to a boil quickly, then remove from the heat and add the flour and stir like mad. Because eggs are of variable size, I sometimes beat the last one in a dish and then add only spoons of it, until the dough is of the right consistency. (Soft peaks bending on the end of my spoon. Not too stiff, not too floppy, haha, how's that for precision?) And if the oven is not hot enough when they go in, they won't puff right. And then be sure to cook them long enough: a couple of carefully supervised extra minutes in the hot oven will make a huge difference in crispness, and you can also turn your oven down or off and replace the eclairs after you've poked vent holes into them to help dry them out so they don't go all flabby on you.

    I apologize if I sound too "teacher" here, but I love choux paste! It is really so easy to make (when you get the details down!), it is extremely versatile and they never fail to impress. Hhave you ever stirred grated sharp cheddar or other assertive cheese along with some minced chives into the paste and made bite-sized Gougeres? Because of the fat in the cheese, these don't get as crisp and hollow, but they make lovely hors d'oeuvres.

    Happy baking!! and huzzah for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY for you Marie...nirvana in the land of eclairs!! Fingerlicking good...wish I was visiting too! Great challenge girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!!!! Marie, you finally did it! Those look absolutely fabulous, and I love the idea of the raspberry ice cream! Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh marie they look yummy! Congratulations on conquering your fear!! They look perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the ice cream filling! Your eclairs look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oohhhhhDear Marie you ALL make fantastic and georgeous!!! are absolutely beauty and yummy!!! I love Pierre hermé too, to my birthday I asked Hubby if he give me a Pierre Hermé Book and he give me!!! (here are so cost) I love to see the pages and the recipes.
    I know him thank to a lovely friend I have in Spain and make delicious recipes!!! Muchos cariños amiga, y besitos para ti y Todd (maybe you have to buy a spanish englis diccionary??????) Look in Geogle is easy!!! hugggsss!!!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your site through Kevin's Closet Cooking site. I was thrilled to see that you and I share the same faith! I can't wait to read more of your posts.

    Way to stand for what you believe in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Marie! They look beautiful and yummy! The ice cream filling sounds sooo good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The ice cream sounds delicious in your eclairs! They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy that you could conquer the pate a choux. Ice cream filled eclairs seem like the perfect summer treat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooooh ice cream filling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice! And you didn't "cop out." We were given the freedom to decide and that's what many people did. Congrats on the choux turning out. It's always a great feeling to have something work out so well. Love the new look of your blog! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ICE CREAM!!! What a cool (HEEHEE) Idea. These look lovely and delicious. Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. With Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream??? I so wish I could order this from the Oak Cottage cafe. On a side note, I've been spreading your bat story to anyone who will listen. It's so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay, ice cream! Great idea, I love ice cream. Your first eclairs turned out wonderfully, great pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job! And ICE CREAM....oh!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your ice cream sounds delicious! I'm glad the choux pastry finally worked for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ice cream and Eclair's! They look so lovely Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The recipe was definitely well-written and I was able to follow it easily. Your eclairs look delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful eclairs Marie! My favorite dessert too. I also like your "how to" graphics. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, an ice cream eclair on a hot summer day sounds perfect. Congrats on getting your choux to puff! Your eclairs look great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooo... ice cream filled eclair with a chocolate glaze!! I can taste it now... *drool* Way to go on this month's challenge, you rocked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!