Thursday 21 August 2008

Making Time To Moodle



"Develop Interest in life as you see it; in people, in things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls, and interesting people. Forget yourself."
~Henry Miller

Spending time regularly on your own, pondering on and thinking your own special thoughts often seems an incredible indulgence. Spending time on your own to explore and nurture your own God given talents seems downright impractical most of the time. We lead such busy lives and there never seem to be enough hours in the day as it is, let alone to find some that we can indulge ourselves in having fun just for ourselves! Fun just for having fun's sake!

Somewhere in the last twenty years or so, we seem to have misplaced a very essential part of ourselves . . . our Joi de vivre, as the French would say . . . our sense of zest and exuberance. We've spent most of that time nurturing family or careers, both of which, while very important, are not the be all and end all of what can help us to lead fulfilling and zestful, happy lives. There seems to be a piece of the puzzle missing, that heartfelt pleasure that comes when we discover something that brings us keen pleasure. Something that belongs to only us and is uniquely ours. Selfish as it may seem . . . we all need a hobby!



But how do you discover what that may be? The writer Brenda Ueland tells us our imaginations need . . . "moodling" . . . or in other words, we need to take the time to putter, dawdle, idle and daydream in order to flourish and discover which solitary pleasures bring us the most joy.

I, for instance, had not picked up a paint brush in many years, up until just a few months ago. My days were largely spent in work at work . . . which means cooking and cleaning up at the big house . . . and then I'd get home here, to the cottage, and I'd do it all again, cook and clean . . . with a little bit of telly and walking thrown in for good measure. Don't get me wrong here, I do enjoy cooking and cleaning, well at least the cooking bit . . . whether it be up there or here at home . . . but there seemed to be a little something missing.



Before I became a working woman, I used to spend quite a few hours every day fulfilling my creative nature . . . knitting, sewing, embroidering, painting, putting up preserves . . . to name but a few things. I used to really enjoy those hours spent and there was a wonderful sense of pride in each one of my accomplishments . . . these were activities that were uniquely my own, singular pleasures that brought me great joy and fulfillment. Rewarding reveries. It had been a long time since I had spent any time at all in pursuing any of these activities.

and so . . .



One afternoon I picked my paintbrushes up again, and I painted a silly little picture. It was just a little chef's head and a few lemons. Quite simple, nothing too exciting. "That's quite good." said my Todd. I looked at it and thought to myself, actually . . . it is not too bad. I thought about how much joy I had gotten out of just those few minutes that it had taken me to paint it and how much I had missed doing something just like that. I realized right then, that I really needed to take time out once in a while to pursue this solitary pleasure and feed the creative me that had been left idling for so long . . . and so now I regularly take out my brushes and I paint. I can often be found doodling sketches when I find a stolen moment, and I have a huge stack of ideas and pictures that are just waiting for me to make them real and tangible. And . . . I am loving every minute of it.

I realized that once my hobby, which was cooking . . . had become my job . . . I really had needed to find something else to take it's place . . . and, as much as I still enjoyed doing it . . . it was now work and no longer play. We all need to take some time to play, time to explore our interests and singular pleasures. "Me" time. "Play" time. It's not selfish. It's not indulgent. It's a part of what brings our life into harmony, and helps to make it richer and more rewarding. As children we knew how to play . . . now, as adults . . . we need to remember how to play, and then sometimes we need to . . . play.



I've been really busy this week putting the finishing touches on my cookbook. I have some big decisions to make regarding it. Photos or no photos is one of them. I have a folder just bulging with really nice food photos that I have taken but am wondering if I should include them. Including them means that the book will cost more . . . a lot more . . . not for me, but for the people who choose to buy it. I know myself, I find a cookbook infinitely more interesting when it includes delicious looking photos. It's nice to be able to see the finished project and get some idea of what it should look like. So, here's my question to you all . . . Would you settle for a cookbook that was stogged full of lovely recipes, but no pictures . . . or would you rather have a cookbook that had fewer recipes but lots of lovely photos??? I don't know . . .

Here's a delicious snack that can really be quite low in fat, depending on whether you choose to use low or no fat cream cheese instead of the full fat one. There's not a lot you can do about the sugar content though. It's using real sugar that makes this taste all caramel like and indulgent. Apples are healthy and very good for you . . . you know . . . an apple a day and all that . . . combining them with a luscious caramel like dip, well that's just genius!



*Caramel Apple Dip*
Makes about 1 ½ cups

One might think that this would be too sweet, but it is lovely and mellow and beautifully caramel-like. It’s a bit like having a caramel apple without any of the fuss! Actually I retract that, it’s even better than having a caramel apple!
1 250g package of cream cheese, softened
½ cup soft light brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
½ tsp vanilla
5 to 6 apples washed well, cored and then sliced**

Put the cream cheese into a bowl and then stir in the sugars and vanilla, mixing it all in very well until smooth. Scoop into an attractive serving bowl and then cover and chill for several hours before serving with the sliced apples for dipping. I like to use a mixture of good eating apples, such as tart Granny Smiths and Golden Delicious or like we had yesterday, Pink Ladies. I am thinking sliced pears would also go very well with this dip.

**If you are not serving the fruit right away and you are cutting them up a bit ahead of time as I did yesterday, squeeze the juice of a lemon over the pieces and give them a bit of a toss to coat them all with it in order to keep the fruit from turning brown.

26 comments:

  1. Photos are a must for me, wouldn't buy a cookbook without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a cookbook has to have photos - it makes such a nicer experience when you snuggle down to read it and pore over all the goodies inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moodling...I like that! Hubby & I have a similar word--Noodling...yes, noodling! Just noodle around...tinker, potter, whatever--LOL! Funny that...Time to oneself to enrich one's own inner life is as important as what's happening on the outside bit. Time to explore, dream, create...it helps is find out who we are, what we want to do, where we want to go, who want to become. You have many gifts, Marie. You painting/illustrarion among them. Such fun to see your illustration here! You are great at taking photos too. And photos would make a splendid addition to your already wonderful recipes. I'm one who goes more for the cookbook with recipes, even a few, than no photos at all. There's just something about the experience of seeing the photo with the recipe that inspires me even more to try the recipe, to see what my result will look like. Hopefully very close to the photo! ;o) VERY excited to see what happens with your cookbook! Love today's recipe. I've wanted to try something like this fruit dip...Happy Day, dear friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dip is phenomenal. I think you should do photos. I know it will cost more, but being a magazine editor I've learned most people are visual creatures. It doesn't matter how brilliant the words are, if there's no pictures most of them won't pay attention. If it's getting too big for you, maybe you could split it into two editions like LFB to keep the price down.

    I can' believe you just got back into your art a few months ago! You're such a natural talent!

    I've got to e-mail you later. I'm having a creative meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please include photos in your cookbook, especially if it might be some of your beautiful artwork? I love cookbooks with the author's artwork. Those are the ones I treasure most:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moodling - I love it! Definitely need to allow time for creativity - imagination! As for the cookbook, I like pictures, and you can always do volume II! Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photos. I'll make the recipes with photos before I'll make the non photo ones. I just love the quote you started with today. I'm writing it in in my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie
    I am so glad you mentioned Brenda Ueland. I love her word moodling. I was trying to think of that word just the other day but I couldn't remember it. I so agree with you in the importance of time just to be creative and think and daydream. The times when I have been most unhappy in my life were when I was denying that creative part of me. Now I cut fabric up and sew it back together and make quilts and I have never been so contented in my life! I know that making time for that isn't selfish, it's necessary, like breathing. I've dabbled a little in watercolors and am feeling the urge to putter at that a little too.
    Thanks for your wonderful words of encouragement every day.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again
    I like photos in cookbooks and would pay more just to have photos. Can't wait until your book comes out. I know it wil be excellent.
    Rhondi xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I love photos, I've cooked for so long that I can picture the outcome. I'm all for lots of recipes to try. I'd be more apt to spend if the cost was less without the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your post today! I am a creativity needy person. Sewing, cooking, quilting, tole painting, scrapbooking...Each has taken a front running place in my life at one time or another. I too have to make time for it. I think blogging right now is one way for me to fulfill that need.
    Cookbook with pictures, a must for me. I put a cookbook down, when there are not enough pictures. Sign me up for yours;). Your recipe today will be one for my weekend tasting, maybe even sooner, as i have all of the ingredients already. Thanks for the lovely start to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree - I would be drawn into a cook book with photos - without photos I don't think I would even look at it. It needs to catch the reader's eye. Just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cook books with photos, though I do own a few without. I can spend hours with a cookbook even the ones I have had for years, its like a good novel to me.

    Love the dip, nice way to get to eat more fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Marie
    Thanks for your visit today, much appreciated.
    I love Cookbooks, and the 'pictures' after all we eat with our eyes.Think most would prefer to pay that litle extra. Good luck with it anyway. I'm off to make Lemon drizzle Cake!
    Aileen....X

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear Marie, nice post, dear I think a cookbook need pictures I ahd many lovely antiques books without pictures but in this world that we live, the people need to SEE I understand this when I begin the blog the pictures didn`t matter to me but with the times the people need this, We know the recipes are wonderful! (how yours) but they need to see is all.

    This Dip look absolutely yummy!!!!
    About your post always think is important make nice things how knitting, embroderied, I love to read too and in the Spring I love to work at garden. The other time I read is SO important to the pople work with their hands, because is healthy, many people work at office only work at PC or similar but make something with the hands is so special. I love your picture is so beauty!
    M.Esperanza when is sad love to draw or paint how you, if we go out always take a notebook an their pens box, is so nice! huggs amiga mìa! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marie - oh yes, I vote for photos. There was a time when I'd buy cookbooks without photos, but no longer. Maybe blogging my own blog and having to take pictures of all my food has enhanced that since I always want to know what it's supposed to look like. And, I understand completely about the painting - I watercolor, and am always glad for the days or hours I spend at it, but I just must make myself devote the time to do it. Keep up the good work.
    Carolyn T at tastingspoons.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marie, defineately photos. Can't wait to buy it, I just love your recipes. I know I dont leave a comment very often but I read you everyday. Many thanks for your wonderful inspiring entries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Marie! Where have I been? Your artwork is beautiful, and I adore your Etsy shop. Will be back over for certain.

    I am really excited about your cookbook. I want to be one of the first to purchase it.

    Thank you for the reminder to pursue the things we love for OURSELVES. Everywhere I've turned recently that is the message, and I have been making some big changes in my life thanks to all the nudges.

    I am so honored to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that word - moodling! I must use it more in day-to-day conversations! I loved your post today about taking time for yourself. I also love to paint, but it seems that life gets in the way. You have inspired me to take a little time for myself and work on my painting! I just love the paintings that you have done!

    I am excited to hear more news about your cookbook! You should definitely put some of your wonderful pictures in your cookbook! Have a wonderful day Marie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would rather have more recipes and a few pictures... although I can see I'm in the minority with that :) I just dont need pictures to try a recipe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marie you are the best. I would love photos and it helps to see like you said what it should look like not that I always meet with success in that department. I think some of your artwork witin the pages would be cute too like the divisions if you have them of categories~Main course etc. And can I just say I'm so excited and can hardly wait for you cook book to come out. I'm placing my order now so please put my name down for when it's available. Do you think it will be done before Christmas? I'm so excited for you.

    Moodling that's such an awesome word. Your right I do feel most happy when I'm able to apply my talents to good use. Thank you for that sweet reminder.

    Your photos are so beautiful. I'm so jealous are these flowers all around your cottage it must be breathtaking at times. love cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  22. You take such beautiful pictures I would want them in the cookbook! How wonderful your making a cookbook! I'll be in line to buy or order it.!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. #1 You are an amazing artist! Love it!

    #2 You gotta add pictures! That a deal breaker for me and my cookbooks!

    #3 Do you know how many of us out here in cyber world would buy one of your books? A LOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marie, I know what you mean about pictures in cookbooks. I have to say a book with great pictures will entice me easily to buy it, but I have also bought books that have no pictures or just a couple of line drawing if they contain great recipes, which I'm sure yours does! Maybe you could go for a compromise and just have a few pictures. I have just bought a couple of books from the Avoca Cafe in Ireland. They have fantastic recipes but not that many pictures. I'm so pleased for your that all your hard work is paying off now and you are finally able to put the finishing touches to your book!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Marie,

    Wow.. you can paint too!! That is a nice piece of art. You are so talented and hmmm.. I'm feeling so inspired here.. like what you said in your post, I must indulge myself and develop an interest.. it would be a shame since I have so much time for myself.

    Re your cookbook.. personally, I would not buy a book without pictures!! Pictures makes a cookbook (or blogs etc) much more interesting!

    Have a nice weekend!
    Angela KL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Caramel apple dip sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!