Tuesday 12 August 2008

I scream, You Scream . . .



WE all scream for ice cream!

I am Marie Rayner
I run Rayner‘s ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
five divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:
Beezleberry jam crunch
scrumptious noodle soup
black bananas in a bunch
strawberry goop
dingleberry loop de loop
I am Marie Rayner,

I run Rayner's ICE CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.
~by Me

I know, it's a silly poem. I found this page where you could make up your own ice cream poem. , and I thought why not! After all this is my Tuesday's With Dorie post and it's my blog and if I want to start it off with a silly poem, then what the hey! What's a little silliness amongst friends!



Yes, it's Tuesday's with Dorie Day and as you might have guessed by that bit of silliness at the front . . . this week we are doing ice cream, and more specifically Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream as chosen by Dolores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity. You can find the recipe on page 434 of Dori Greenspan's lovely book, Baking From My Home To Yours. If you don't have a copy of it already, you really should get one. It's well worth the money spent! I have loved just about every recipe I have baked from it! You can pick it up here, for as little as $7.43, a real bargain, if I don't say so myself!!!



I was thrilled when I saw what the recipe was going to be this week. I love ice cream and I love blueberries! I bought myself an ice cream maker about 3 years ago now, and I am ashamed to say that I have only used it once. Well twice actually . . . but we won't count the first time when I ended up with vanilla soup because I didn't realize that you had to put the insert in the freezer overnight to freeze before you tried to make ice cream with it. I plugged it in and had it going for hours before I gave up on it and thought I had bought a dud. I forget now who it was who told me that you had to freeze the container first. DOH!



Anyways, I did try using it again and had great success with it. My only problem is that I rarely have enough room in my freezer to put it and so . . . it sits on the shelf gathering dust. Never mind . . . I made special room in my freezer this past week for it and am I glad I did!!!

I loved this recipe! (I know!! I say that every week!) Seriously though . . . I DO LOVE IT! It was so easy! There was no real cooking involved, except for the initial cooking of the blueberries. The blender did the rest, oh . . . and the ice cream maker of course! I tried to take a film of the ice cream maker in action, but it was largely boring . . . so you won't get to see anything but a still shot of that . . . but you will get to see the finished product.



I decided that I wanted something a little bit more exciting than just a plain ice cream and so I added white chocolate chunks and a ripple of blueberry preserves running through the middle and then, just to make it really decadent, I did a White Truffle Chocolate Sauce to spoon over the top of the finished product.



THIS ICE CREAM IS TO DIE FOR! Even without the chocolate chunks, jam ripple and sauce. I could have eaten the custard right out of the blender, without even freezing it. RUN to the store RIGHT NOW and buy yourself some blueberries and MAKE THIS!! NOW! You won't regret it . . . although . . . your hips might . . . just a tad . . .



If you would like the recipe, hop on over to Dolores' page. It should be posted there at some point today, and in the meantime be sure to check out the blog roll and see all the other delicious versions of this same recipe!! Looking doesn't make you gain weight, or at least I don't think it does! Ohh, I have me a little bit left in the freezer and I am thinking that fruit and dairy are really a good breakfast choice. After all . . . it is two of the four food groups all in one go isn't it, that is if you don't count the chocolate and make it three. Chocolate is one of the four groups too . . . yes it is! Because I said so!

So there!



*White Chocolate Truffle Sauce*
Makes Approximately 1 1/4 cups

6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
2 TBS butter
1/2 cup heavy cream

Heat the white chocolate and butter together in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until melted. It may look thick and grainy at this point, but don't worry.

Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream until smooth. Cool to room temperature before using.

You can keep this stored in the refrigerator for several days. Just warm it in the microwave for about 20 seconds before using.

54 comments:

  1. Mmmm.. the ice cream looks yummy!! Please link the recipe :P
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, your ice cream turned out wonderful! I absolutely love the look of the white chocolate sauce, I've taken a note of the recipe to try one day. What kind of white chocolate did you use? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum !!! My mouth is watering all over the place ... it looks so yummy !!!! Thank you also for sending my little girl birthday wishes... that was so sweet and she was happy for them. Hugs to you dear friend.. Mica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marie - that looks soooooo seriously delicious! When I finish with all this baking I am definitely going to try this recipe! Hope all is well - just popping by to catch up with your blog after far too long - alway so lovely to read your news
    Hannah
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sauce looks soooo good! I love white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Icecream and sauce look yummy I am hungry now.Hope you have left some for all us girls we will pop in and share with you LOL.
    HUgs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poem is fun, Marie! And this ice cream post is dripping down to my elbow good...so delicious!! That sounds sounds heavenly...mmm...NOt even lunchtime and I want ice cream--LOL! Happy Day, sweet friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blueberry ice cream with white chocolate chunks sounds so good and the sauce makes it look even more awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing. I would have made ice cream soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so creamy and smooth.
    I sent a copy of my version of the ice cream poem to hubby at work to cheer him up - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. good heavens, i'm crazy about your additions! your final product is exactly my ice cream of choice right now, all the way from the swirl to the white chocolate chunks. my next experiment will definitely be this amazing white truffle sauce--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. White chocolate sounds lke a great addition! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow!! Your ice cream looks divine. The sauce running down the ice cream...LUSCIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was going to try mine with white chocolate! I'm glad you did! It looks absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your poem and I am right with you in only using the ice cream maker once or twice! Your ice cream looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marie that looks decadent!! The color is beautiful! I just said to my hubby lastnight we need an ice cream maker and he said we have one! I totally forgot it was in the basement! we will be making some ice cream this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ive only used my ice cream maker once or twice in 27 years! In fact I thought it was gone, but just found it yesterday.

    Your ice cream is lovely - and so creative. Your cats + my dogs would be interesting!

    Nancy
    The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you just trying to torture me??? Chunks and a ripple and truffle sauce. Oh, why do you have to live an ocean apart if you are going to churn out stuff like this!:)
    I love the poem, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the reasons I love to make ice cream is that you can play around with the flavors and additions. I had the same problem with my ice cream maker gathering dust until I just forced myself to make a permanent spot for it in my freezer. I think I've got some bags of frozen fruits and veggies sitting in the center of it so at least it's not completely wasted space. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marie This Ice cream is really to die for look absolutely yummy!!! Have a nice day!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! You sure took the recipe to the next level. It sounds amazing. What a great job you did. I can't wait to try that white chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have to agree with you on this one-yummy! It looks delicious and decadent with the white truffle sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ice cream, blueberries . .. what more could a person ask for? Chocolate, but you took care of that one! Looks fab, Marie! Although I think I will give the black bananas in a bunch a miss!

    Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  24. you're sooo excited! haha. The icecream looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your ice cream puts mine to shame. The white chocolate truffle sauce looks to die for. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. that poem is so cute-great job! and that icecream turned out perfect! i LOVE icecream. couldn't live without it! we traditionally make our own icecream on the two general conference weekends of the year. the kids love it! (and me too!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow that seriously looks tasty!!

    have a delicious day :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. White. chocolate. truffle. sauce?? I am sold! Great job!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  29. OH! OH! OH! White chocolate! Blueberry Swirl!! Truffle Sauce!!! MAAAVALOUS! Absolutely the best mix yet! Fantastic Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your whimsical little poem! I also adore all of those stunning photos! The first one with the cats is absolutely priceless!

    Oh yes, and I thought the ice cream was wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That white chocolate sauce is to die for! I rarely have enough room in my freezer as well, but I do try to find a place for my ice cream maker once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! I want to climb into the screen and devour this right now for breakfast!!! :-O

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Excellent pictures! I love your ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your ice cream looks wonderful! I love that you used that white chocolate sauce. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW, with that sauce, it looks even better...and it's mighty great looking on its own. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yum!! I want to take a bath in your white chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  37. 38 comments... wow... people must love your blueberry icecream idea... it looks so good...especially on this hot August day.
    My little 6 year old granddaughter, Claire is spending a couple of days with us. We have had a fun morning making heart shaped blueberry waffles and going to a fun movie. We are home now to swim and then plant some more flowers in the patio. It has been so hot that my sweet peas all died....and so did the pansies.... so sad.

    Maybe we can make your icecream later today if I can go get the ingredients. We could have it for our tea party.... because no day is complete without a tea party.

    Claire and I send love. Grammy Lura

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great additions! I wish I could have a scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my, oh my oh my! Would you look at that ice-cream color! Love that you added white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Dangit - blueberry ripple, seriously?! What, are you trying to get me to make this again?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Marie
    You have the best looking food on your blog!! That ice cream looks so yummy. I like the poem too.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  42. Truly decadent...I think you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. The sauce looks amazing.. almost like the custard from the galette a few weeks back, but thicker.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  44. LOL, I hear you! I was eating the just blended "soup".

    Your version sounds fantastic... and FANCY! The possibilities are endless with ice cream, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Those ice cream shots look so wonderfully creamy...!!! Mine was more like sorbet cream. I love the white choco truffle additions..woo!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Must have been absolutely delicious! Love the kitten picture and the cute poem.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love this ice cream as it is, but your additions make it even more fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous! I love the idea of adding white chocolate. I saw that on someone else's blog too and thought "duh, should've tried that myself". Well, that's just an excuse to make it again. Don't hate me but I have a full-size freezer in my basement and keep 2 freezer bowls in it at all times. You just never know when you will NEED to make an ice cream, or 2.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!