Thursday 14 August 2008

A Tale of Encouragment



An old man showed up at the back door of the house we were renting. Opening the door a few cautious inches, we saw his eyes were glassy and his furrowed face glistening with silver stubble. He clutched a wicker basket containing a few un-appealing vegetables. He bid us good morning and offered his produce for sale. We were uneasy enough to make a quick purchase to alleviate both our pity and our fear.

To our chagrin, he returned the next week, introducing himself as Mr. Roth, the man who lived in the shack down the road. As our fears subsided, we got close enough to realize that it wasn't alcohol, but cataracts, that marbleized his eyes. On subsequent visits, he would shuffle in, wearing two mismatched right shoes, and pull out a harmonica. With glazed eyes set on future glory, he'd puff out old gospel tunes between conversations about vegetables and religion.



On one visit, he exclaimed, "The Lord is so good! I came out of my shack this morning and found a bag full of shoes and clothing on my porch."

"That's wonderful, Mr. Roth," we said. "We're happy for you."

"You know what's even more wonderful?" he asked. "Just yesterday I met some people that could use them."

~author unknown



This little story reminds me of one Christmas a number of years back when my ex husband and I were doing really poorly financially. We had had to sell our house unexpectedly and as a result we experienced a huge loss on the sale of it. After struggling for some months afterwards, we had been forced to declare bankruptcy, not something we had really wanted to do, but with five children to feed and take care of, we hadn't really had much choice. One thing we had always done at Christmas was to make up a basket for someone in need and then, as a family, deliver it up anonymously to their doorstep on Christmas Eve. This was something that we had all really enjoyed doing each year and it was an important way of teaching our children about the joy one can get from reaching out to others in their need. In face we had always gotten so much out of that simple act of kindness that it was probably the most enjoyable part of our Christmas's together. It had become somewhat of a Christmas tradition for us all. There was no way that I could let the kids down that year . . . no way I could tell them that we didn't really have the finances to be able to do it that year. It would have been such a disappointment to each one of them.



I still don't know how we did it, but somehow we managed to scrape together enough money to buy a small turkey to put into the box, along with enough items from our food storage to make up a pretty decent box. Along with a few extra trinkets and our last bit of cash tucked inside in an envelope, it made a pretty picture sitting on our dining room table on Christmas Eve afternoon, all decorated up in some fancy Christmas paper with a ribbon tied on it's side. We had already decided on a family in the local town that we would be giving it to . . . a family who's father had lost his job just a few months before. We all felt in our hearts that this was the right family to give it to. And so . . . off we went in the car to deliver it. We parked down the road and quietly crept up to their doorstep and then left it right where they would find it the very next time they opened their door.

That evening, Christmas Eve . . . I sat in the darkness of my kitchen looking out at the snow softly falling and thought about the many blessings I had despite our losses in the previous few months. We had our health, and we had the children and a roof over our heads. We had managed to be able to get them a few gifts for Christmas, and I knew they wouldn't be totally disappointed because we had never been the type of parents to over shower them with gifts at Christmas anyways. We might not have a turkey for our Christmas dinner, but I had managed to get us a nice big chicken to roast and we would have a delicious dinner anyways. The important thing was that we would be together. Life was good.



Imagine my surprise when just a few minutes later I saw a car struggling up the drive to our doorway. I watched it approach . . . and then, much to my wonder, I saw one of the elders from the church that we attended slip up to the doorway carrying a huge box in his arms. Inside that box was a turkey and enough vegetables to create a Christmas feast the next day and for a few days afterwards, some gifts for the children and an envelope with no less than $100 tucked inside. My eyes filled with tears, and they still do when I think back on that snowy Christmas night. Despite our not having had much, I hadn't realized that we, ourselves, were seen as a family in need. It was, for me, a very humbling experience.

Happy is the man that, despite his own need, is still able to reach out and give to others . . . that is where real joy comes from.

Every once in a while I like to make these delicious veggie sausages for our supper. They're kind of like a Cheese croquette, and to be perfectly honest we never really miss the meat. They're a wonderful testimony to the thrift and ingenuity of the Welsh people as that's where the recipe originated from.



*Glamorgan Sausages*
Serves 4

Glamorgan sausages are the poor man's meatless substitute for the real thing. These are best made with stale, crusty bread rather than chewy, sliced bread. I like to put them together a day in advance, so they have a chance to set up nicer and firmer, and also so that the delicious flavours have a chance to deliciously meld together!

275g day old white bread, crusts trimmed off, cut into chunks
1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
225 g caerphilly cheese or lancashire cheese, grated (caerphilly is a mild but tangy cow's milk cheese)
(If you can't get either of these cheeses, a good strong cheddar works well)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 eggs (divided)
8 tablespoons flour, to coat
3-4 tablespoons olive oil

Blitz the bread in a food processor to make fine breadcrumbs. Place in a bowl and set aside.

Blitz the onion, parsley and thyme in the processor until finely chopped and then add the cheese and mustard and process until finely chopped.

Scrape the cheese mixture into the bowl with the bread crumbs. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk, reserving the egg white for later. Stir well.

Use your hands to form the mixture into 8 to 10 sausage shapes.

Place the egg white in a bowl and whisk with a fork. Measure the flour onto a large plate. Roll the sausages in the egg white and then in flour to coat them well.

Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the sausages in it until they are nicely browned all over. Serve hot with some grainy mustard on the side.



PS - Thanks so much for all your lovely Happy Birthday wishes. I had a lovely day yesterday despite having to work. I got some beautiful cards both in the post and at work, and Todd took me out to lunch at the local pub where we both feasted on some delicious fish and chips!

24 comments:

  1. Good Morning Dear Marie,
    Have you discovered what I came over and helped myself to at Oak Cottage yet? I think that I was quite clever.

    I am glad that you had a nice birthday. We had fun celebrating here with you vicariously.

    I can relate well to this post. We were in a similar circumstance when John had been out of work for quite a while. I was humbled but grateful to whoever left us surprised Christmas goodies on our door step.

    Is your birthday on the 12th or the 13th? I want to lock the right date in my feeble little brain.

    Thanks again for the award you sent me. I appreciate it. I already passed it on and linked to Tammy.

    Have a great day. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Marie.

    Great read this morning, you have a way that makes everything I read go straight to my heart. Love the sausage recipe too!
    Glad you enjoyed your birthday!
    From your foreign lady - Julio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearten story..love it and love that dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Glamorgan sausages are just what I've been looking for. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting here crying...that is an incredibly moving story, Marie. How sad I am experienced such hard times, but how glad I am you were blessed with much kindness when in need. People are sooo good! Love this recipe! I have tons of veggie burger recipes, but not many veggie sausage recipes...can't wait to make these. So great to chat with you yesterday--a treat in the middle of the week. Happy Day, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely story I had tears in my eyes when I read it.we have had to battle all our lives on a pension but you always manage to make ends meet.and if you have love in your family its the best thing.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those would beat the cheese sticks at restaurants any day!

    What a cool story. That's so kind that ya'll did that every year. So many people just throw money at a situation, but you chose to address individual need. That's very remarkable!

    I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday Marie :) Hope I hope that it was happy for you and the hubby and Jess too! Thank you for todays story, I really liked it and touched me. Blessings* Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday!

    That is a beautiful story & a beautiful experience you shared. Love always returns to us.

    We are here, but I've been slack about following up on your blog. . .how funny is that. Now that we're on the same side of the pond I'm trying to get adjusted. I think making that recipe will be a great way to introducing myself to Welsh food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday,late! I hope it really was lovely. I always (since my thirties)celebrate a birthday week. More fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story . You could have warned me about needing a kleenex first. Isnt God awesome he cares enough about us to send us a turkey on Christmas. What an awesome God we have! Thanks for sharing this story it truly blessed me this am. Hope you have a great day. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post and lovely blog you have! I love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice birthday. And what a beautiful story! You need to submit to the Ensign.
    I'd love those meatless sausages since I eat very little meat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm Welsh and feeling very homesick so it's Glamorgan Sausages for dinner tonight!

    Thanks for reminding me about these yummy things!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Marie...I am honored for your visit to my blog. Lura has told me about you and I have visited, but not sent any comment before. You are amazing, and gifted and inspiring. I love your stories and recipes. I am going to be a daily visitor, and get to know you better. My heritage is English and Welch, my maiden name is Pitt. I can't wait to try the sausages. Thank you again for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that post!!! Beautiful story. God is soooo good to us and let us indeed, not be weary in well doing for others, because he blesses us right back! Much love - RAquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you visited my blog and got entered in my fall giveaway, good luck! Your blog is lovely, such a treat! Do you live in that cottage in England? It's darling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like that family tradition, I think I might steal it from you. My hubby and I just got married, so now would be the perfect time to do it :).

    I like the story you started out your entry with, what a sweet one! :)

    I'm saving your veggie sausage recipe! Who knew you could get veggies in such a savory little sausage of meatless deliciousness? :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a heart rendering story Marie. It just goes to show you can't out-give God because whatever we give to others, God gives back to us 10 fold.
    I've not eaten Glamorgan sausages before, but your recipe makes me want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marie -- You are so wonderful. Your post made me cry. I love coming to your site for inspiration and guidance. Thank you for your beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are an awesome woman and I'm so grateful for having met you even if it is through cyber space. I love reading what you write. Your recipes are just amazing. Do you have a cook book somewhere perhaps I'm behind on it. I'm attempting the cinnamon toast tomorrow morning with my grandsons. Be kind to yourself and thank you for sharing your wonderful talents.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always I am always inspired when I come here.
    Everything you say seems to touch my heart....just want to say Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marie,

    What a lovely, lovely story.. truly it is. It is so touching and inspiring and I am thankful that it has affirmed me to be thankful for all the blessings in my life.. for all the things that I have and I have alot. My husband was just telling me that when I moaned about life to him and yes, I have agree to with him.. to look at the glass half full instead of half empty. I have so much and I have to start being thankful for them and start LIVing!!!! Thank you Marie for the nudge; for helping me along to change, be joyful, thankful and start living!

    Angela KL

    ReplyDelete
  24. o many of your posts bless me but I just had to say... Thank you for sharing this story!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!