Wednesday 18 October 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Have you ever eaten a Persimmon?  I find myself wondering what they taste like this morning.. Although I have seen them in the stores, I have never eaten one.  I have read that they are very healthy to eat.  High in fiber and antioxidants. I'm not even sure what you would do with one?  How you would prepare it, etc. I am persimmon curious.




I am going later this morning to have my car safety done and to get the winter tires put on. I will make an appointment when I am there to have it serviced and winterized.  Dan and Cindy came over early last evening so that Dan could put the winter tires in the back for me.  Then he will come over tonight and take the summer tires out for me and put them into the garage for the winter.  I am so grateful to Dan for all these things he does for me. Cindy too.  I really don't know what I would do without them. I suppose I would be asking people from church to help me, and I know that they would. I am just grateful to have family who are so willing to go the extra mile for me. That is an extra special blessing.


 

I ended up having a road trip with Cindy yesterday.  She needed to go and get Dad some cough medicine and so I went to pick her up. I needed to go to the Post Office as well.  First we went to the Chemist and I actually got some cough medicine as well, just in case.  I get the one for Diabetics so no sugar.  


I also got some Fisherman's Friend lozenges. I like them. I was surprised at how many different flavors of them they have now. I had always just gotten the original ones. I did pick up a small package of those, but I also got a package of orange spice ones as well. I like orange spice ones.


Then we went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store which is a few doors down from the drug store.  I had never been there. Cindy needed to get some books for dad. He must read at least 3 books a week. He loves romance novels.  I know, that is kind of weird for a man to love romance novels.  He especially likes Danielle Steel. I suppose they are easy reading.  I picked up a new plate.  Well it is an old plate but I thought it was particularly pretty.



It will be good for taking food photos.  I like old china like this. There were some other pretty plates as well, but, dangit, Cindy saw them first! haha


After that we went to Foodland as she needed to pick up some water and then we went to the library to get some new covid tests. I am so grateful that we can do this and that they are free.  We have been trying to book covid booster shots online, but there are still no appointments available.  I need my flu shot as well.


We thought we might go to that Pierogi place in town and have some lunch, but I really wasn't impressed with it when we went inside. It looked and felt dirty to me.  So we asked them if they had any cheesecake (We knew they didn't and only get it on Fridays) and said we would be back Friday to get some. It smelled funny in there and there was clutter all over the place. I just didn't feel right about eating there. I am really fussy that way.

THEN, we went to the post office.  They are digging up the sidewalks and street on the side we usually park on so we had to park out front.  

By then we had decided that we were going to drive down to Brickton and try out a newish place there called the Perky Loaf. 



Its near where Cindy used to work. Its also a bakery. Cindy said the guys she worked with used to go over frequently and get sandwiches. It was really clean, especially in comparison to the other place. They had lots of baked goods and a menu which included all day breakfasts, lunch items and even dinner items.  We each decided to have the soup of the day and a grilled cheese on their homemade bread and it was really good!  The soup was a Tomato and Zucchini Soup and I had my grilled cheese on a loaf of their whole wheat bread and Cindy had hers on Rye bread. The breads were amazing.  The soup was delicious.  I couldn't eat my whole sandwich so brought half of it home with me. 

Best part of course was getting to spend the time together.

By then it was starting to get late and we came back to town, Cindy picked up Dad's lottery tickets and I dropped her off home and came back here.  The cats were ravenous of course. You would think they never get fed!  Haha  No, they were just really happy to see me. They always are.  It is nice to come home to someone who loves me as much as I love them.

Apparently my cousin's cat had some more kittens.  She didn't even know she was pregnant but woke up to the sound of mewing and saw that Willow had had three kittens in the night. She had another one after. No, I will not be getting another cat, lol. Two are quite enough for me. 

I did notice that the new lady across the way has a tuxedo cat. I saw it sitting in the window yesterday as I was leaving to go get Cindy. That was the first time I had seen it.


 

I came home and got my work done for the day and then my friend Christine called and we had a nice conversation. I have known Christine for about 25 or so years now. I introduced her daughter to her husband. He was a friend of mine from Georgia.  They met, fell in love and have six or seven children now.  They are a lovely family. Anyways, I always love spending time with Christine, in person or on the telephone. She is so wise and so kind. I worked with her in Relief Society many years ago now.  It was one of my favorite callings in church.


 
(source)

We are winding down our studies of the New Testament now. We only have a few more books to go. This week we have been studying 1st and 2nd Thessalonians.  What a loving heart Paul had towards those that he taught.  I have really enjoyed studying the New Testament this year. I find that every time you study a cannon of scripture you always come away with a new and deeper understanding of it.  

Next year we will be back to studying the Book of Mormon and I am excited about that.  We change our curriculum every year, each year spending time in studying one of our cannons of scripture. We have four.  New and Old Testaments, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants/Pearl of Great Price. I love all of them.  There is so much wisdom to be had in the pages of scripture. So much help for modern day life.  They are timeless really.



This week I have been watching the Bridges of Madison County. My sister reminded me of it last week when we were out driving. I don't think I had watched it since it originally came out all those years ago. Two of my favorite actors. Based on one of the best selling books of the 20th century. I think it is nice to revisit these older things now and again. 

I can never sit and watch a film all in one go. It is very rare that I do. I just don't have the attention span. I always end up falling asleep and so I tend to watch films in bits and pieces.  I am recognizing late in life that I am probably adhd, which explains a lot.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。•。
 *.˛.I have not failed.。★★ 。* 。•。
I have successfully。★★ 。* 。•。
discovered twelve hundred。★★ 。* 。•。
ideas that don't work.。★★ 。* 。•。
~Thomas Edison。★★ 。* 。•。
。★★ 。* 。•。



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Molasses Corn Bread.  This is quite simply fabulous.


I hope you have a lovely day today!  Wish me well with the car safety!  I really hope that I don't need any work doing and if I do that it is nothing huge.  Fingers crossed!  I would normally be going out for supper with my dad today, but I am skipping it this week so I don't catch his cold germs.

Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

13 comments:

  1. Your road trip sounds like so much fun. I used to do that with some of the kids, but they have all moved out and away. I may need a day like that with someone soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nice to get out and just be with someone else Kristina! I enjoy my sister's company so much. I think we enjoy each other, which is great! We have been good medicine for each other these past couple of years I think! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have had persimmons, a fruit, sweet and a bit of honey taste. When I worked with special needs kids we would go shopping each week and buy a different fruit or veggie to try, always a fun activity. What a lovely day you had yesterday, fingers crossed that your car is just fine. Good idea to stay home and not expose yourself to any germs your Dad might have. Have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious Linda! Next time I see them I will have to buy one to try! It sounds like you have had a very satisfying life in one way or another! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hope your dad feels better soon. I love your pretty new vintage plate. There are treasures to be found in thrift stores. Sounds like you had fun with Cindy. Hope your car passes its well-baby checkup. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! So far he is feeling better today than he was yesterday. My car did very well thanks! Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Glad your sister is there to help both you and your dad. It does make a difference ! My family helps me a lot so I know how important people like that are in your life. Hope your dad is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really are blessed Pam! I don't think I could manage very well on my own. Thanks! xoxo

      Delete
  5. sorry I mean to let you know that it is 'ma' posting a comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the car….and hope your dad is feeling better soon. What a lovely day with your sister!.…I will have one tomorrow with mine, it’s her birthday…I’m taking her for a similar day! Happy Wednesday to you, xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V! I hope that you, likewise, had a lovely day with your sister! Happy Birthday to her! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Hi Marie~ Sounds like you had a fun day with your sister! I love the plate! The flowers on it are so sweet and beautiful. I'm taking a friend to lunch today who is alone for her birthday... homemade tomato soup would be wonderful! The Bridges of Madison County is one of my favorite movies... I cry everytime I watch it ;0) I have ADHD. It's so hard to focus, hence my lack in posts. I hope your dad starts feeling better, and I hope your car passes all it's tests! Have a great day, Marie. Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful day you will have Barb! How sweet of you to remember a friend who is all alone. My car passed with flying colors! Thank goodness! Hugs and love, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!