Wednesday 4 October 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 



Well, my brother left to go back to Ottawa yesterday. What a wonderful week together we have had.  We  met together at my place on Monday night for one last supper splurge.  It was nothing fancy because my father doesn't really like anything too much out of the ordinary.  Just Shake & Bake chicken (we did wings) and mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, some mashed sweet potato and yellow beans. A few pickles on the side and some biscuits.  For dessert I made those TikTok cinnamon rolls. Everything went down a real treat and was enjoyed.  So much so that my brother felt he had to walk back to my sister's when all was said and done. He wanted to burn off some of the calories. I applaud him for his efforts.  He tries very hard to keep his weight down. So does my sister. We do tend to put on weight easily in my family.  I am the black sheep and a poor example to us all.




We had some really fun filled days and the time went far too quickly. One week seemed hardly long enough.  I am sure he was anxious to get back to his family however.



He did get to go flying one day with his old high school buddy Phil.  That red arrow is pointing to the house we grew up in once upon a time. He loves flying. As you may remember my brother has his own glider.  He loves to be up in the air.  I think its really neat that his old friend also likes to fly and flies a small prop plane.  That is a great interest they have in common. Its too bad they live so far away from each other, but its good also that after all these years they have managed to remain good friends.


My sister sent him home with a jar of our homemade crabapple jelly. I wonder if they let him through the airport security with it. I sure hope so!


 

I had the second of my Twinrix shots yesterday, only one more to go. The nurse said she would call in about 5 months time to set up an appointment for it.  I should have had it on Friday, but with all of the excitement around here I had forgotten all about it until past the time I should have been there.  They were okay about it, saying it was a lot easier to re-schedule a nurse's appointment than a doctor's.


The leaves are changing rapidly now.  I notice a huge difference with each day that passes.  I love all of the brilliant colors.  Our little valley here is being painted with a magic brush. Every season has its own glory,  each month it's own personality.  October is quite dramatic.  We get the lovely sunny days, which still hold quite a bit of warmth, but the nights are lovely for sleeping.  The leaf color dazzles, with the maples giving forth light like closer suns.  The oaks glowing brilliantly with a garnet fire and all the thickets coming ablaze with scarlets, golds and cinnamons, as we await the first frost.


I have seen it snow here in October, although that was many, many years ago now, when I was a teen. Halloween's are always crisp and pleasant, but first . . .  Thanksgiving. 


 


Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays to celebrate. It seems odd to me that we in Canada do it in October and the American's in November.  I feel the November date is nicer in a way as it seems to usher in the whole Holiday season with Advent and Christmas, etc.  But its nice to have it in October as well.   My sister is cooking the turkey this year.  None of my family have plans on coming over. I am going to do the potatoes and the pie.

I think turkey dinners are my favorite of all the dinners. I loved my mother's turkey dinners.  Oh boy, the smell of that turkey cooking all day was so tantalizing. By the time we got to dig into it I was more than ready for it.  Oddly enough I seem to be the only one who really likes turkey?  I don't know why!

My whole immediate family loves turkey dinners. When the children were growing up we used to buy our turkey's in the US. We would pop over once or twice a year and pick up several.  At one time you could bring back a turkey for each person in the car. For us that meant quite a few turkeys! And they were always a lot cheaper there than in Canada.  And  sooooo delicious. I don't know why theirs always tasted better than ours.  But they did.

My sister is going to make the stuffing. She makes my mother's stuffing and it is really delicious. Mom always did potato and bread stuffing. I loved it then, I love it now.

Its almost my favorite part of the meal.

 


It was the Autumn sessions of my church's bi-annual General Conference last weekend. I have not been able to listen to all the talks yet, but most of the ones that I have been able to listen to have been truly inspiring.  I can't wait for the printed versions to arrive, so I can dig even deeper into them. In the meantime I will play catch up with the ones I have missed.

So far my favorite talk has been the one that President Emily Belle Freeman gave. Walking in a Covenant Relationship with Christ. You can find it here. It was excellent.

 


I have always loved the way that Emily loves Jesus. She loves him like I love him.  She is just a lot better a putting it into words.  I wish I had that talent.




In the meantime, as I await season 4, I am rewatching The Chosen series on Amazon Prime.  I love this series so much. I think I have watched it from beginning to end about 4 or 5 times now and each time I watch it I get something new from it. I think Jonathan Roumie was an excellent choice on the part of the producer to portray the Savior.   He portrays Jesus with such a loving heart.  He brings Him to life in a way I have never seen anyone do.  If you haven't watched it, you really should. Its excellent.


 

I don't know if I have mentioned it before or not. One of my mother's friends, Wil (shore for Wilomena) lives a few doors down from me. On fine days she likes to walk up and down the road with her walker. She really gets going. Yesterday was garbage day and she was walking down the road in the direction back to her place and the big garbage truck started to back down the road towards her. I do not know if it knocked her over or if she fell over  trying to avoid it, but in any case, she went down.  Jane from the end of the road happened to see what was happening and was able to quickly come and help her up and brush her off. The garbage man popped out of his truck to make sure she was okay. 


I am sure he was pretty shaken up as well. Just a young fellow and all on his own with nobody else. (Usually there are at least two,  one to drive and the other to pick up the bags.)


Thankfully all was well in the end.  I may pop down to see her today to make sure she is okay.  My sister is going to bring my car back later. Maybe we can go together and pay her a short visit.

The other day I was checking my mail and I could hear her hollering to me, Alice, Alice!  (That is the name my family uses for me. It is my second name. Marie Alice.)  It was Wil.  She had thought I moved because everyone had told her "Marie" lived in number 3. It was cute.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.A man should choose with a careful eye
the things to be remembered by.•。★★ 。* 。
~Robert P.T. Coffin •。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。





Over in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Amish Breakfast Biscuits.  That should cause a lot of controversy on my EK Facebook page. It always does when I post a biscuit recipe. I get a lot of flack from certain people.  I never knew biscuits could create such controversy. There are a lot of really narrow minded people in the world who live in  very narrow world.

I hope you have a beautiful day!  Back to normal here now.  Be happy, be blessed and don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful visit with your brother. Hope that Wil is okay after her fall. I have a turkey to cook for Thanksgiving and I'm going to be making your potato & stuffing as well as a sausage meat stuffing. The biscuit recipe looks delicious and I will try it, substituting gluten free flour. It sure is foggy this morning, and we set a temperature recored yesterday for heat, about 27n Celsius. I remember snow on Hallowe'en many years ago, and also remember it being wet and rainy. Enjoy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful visit for your family, I love the dinner photo! October is a lovely month, enjoy and keep smiling. Hope Wil is okay! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky in California4 October 2023 at 20:13

    So glad to see you back, Marie! You were missed! But your brother's visit sounds like a special time for you all.

    The meal looks delicious, including the biscuits! I do love biscuits. Hate to think of anyone being critical of you for not being British enough. Perhaps one of these days you can just rename your blog "Marie's Kitchen" and no longer feel as if you have to deal with those kinds of comments! Then you can feel more free to include recipes from the world over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could make a whole meal out of stuffing, too! Except that here on the American South, we always called it "dressing." I do notice that fewer younger people use that term, as the world gets smaller and smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!