Monday 9 October 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.






Thanksgiving Dinner with my family.  Cindy cooked a beautiful turkey as always.  We had all the trimmings. She had made the most wonderful cranberry sauce using this recipe. It had a lovely hint of citrus and contained dried figs. Of course she made mom's bread and potato stuffing. I made roast potatoes and brought dessert. It was all delicious. Best part of all, spending the time with my family.  Family times are the best of times.




I am so grateful to live in Canada. It is a peaceful country. We have our problems like most countries today, but as a whole this is one of the best countries to live.  We are safe and we enjoy a lovely temperate climate. We have free education, free healthcare, etc. In all of my life I have never known the terrors of War, or hunger, or real deprivation. We are blessed.




Facetime with family.  I had a lovely facetime with our Doug and his family yesterday. Kayla was busy getting Thanksgiving Dinner ready with her mom and dad. The boys were  all doing their own thing, but I got to give my wishes to each of them and to spend some time talking to Doug.  It was lovely.




Sunday church and being able to partake of the sacrament, etc. I love being at church on Sunday mornings.  It is the best place for me to be. I love to hear the talks and sing the hymns, to renew my covenants that I made at Baptism and to take the Savior's name upon me for another week. There is no place I would rather be on a Sunday morning.  The rest of the week, the days all blur together. It is nice to have this one day that is distinctive from the others.


 


We have had a relatively beautiful autumn so far.  Not a lot of rain, very warm temperatures.  The leaf color has been amazing.  There has been nothing to complain about really.  Like Anne I would have to say, I am so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It just might be my favorite month, but then again, I love all the months.  


 

Wooly sweaters to keep me warm.  I am grateful for a reliable heating system, plenty of blankets, etc.  I know the temperatures will start to drop now and I am grateful for ways to keep warm.




I am grateful to have enough. I have no needs. I have enough of everything, and then some. I truly am blessed.  

But best of all  . . . 



I am loved. By family. By friends. By God and Jesus.  I am loved.  To be loved and to know that you are is a priceless gift. 






Having a place to call home. I am so blessed to have a place to call home.


And those are my small and wonderful things for this week. I am just living the best life. I don't want to pinch me and wake myself up for fear it is all a dream. 


A thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Be a lamp, or a lifeboat,
or a ladder.•。★★ 。* 
~Rumi•。★★ 。* 
•。★★ 。* 





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Traditional Scottish Tattie Scones. A delicious thing to make with leftover mashed potatoes.


I hope you have a lovely day.  I am picking up Eileen and Tim later on to bring them over for a bit. I think they are bringing their friend Calvin with them. They are going to help in the garden and I am going to make us a simple supper of Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. Tim is super fussy so it is one of the safest things to make.  Happy day to you all, don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!       
 



6 comments:

  1. We were together too..I LOVE THAT.We are so lucky.The word love is that to me.
    That cranberry sauce looks delish.Figs..Good add-in.Have fun with your family/garden helpers today.It's raining..poured the last 2 days..Needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent Cranberry Sauce Monique! Nice and tart and not too sweet. I love the citrus flavor addition as well! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Autumn weather has set in, much cooler overnight, about 8 Celsius, windy and chilly today. Simple meals are the best and so enjoyable. Hoping the garden works get done today. Happy times with daughter today and family over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went very well thanks Linda! We had fun and that is what counts the most! xoxo

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful list - of so many "small things" that really are the best things. The big things even! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family - nice that you had a wonderful day together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer! It is the small things that matter most! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!