Monday 16 October 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 

Its a bit chilly in here this morning, so I am thankful for my heat pump. Its giving a bit of warmth to the place. I am not sure that I totally know how to work it properly.  I need lessons.  I had to fiddle with it a bit this morning to get it to send out some heat.  But it seems to be working now.  Yea!  I think it is time to dig out my flannel nighties.



Those little toe hairs. Love, love them. Notice the white paws on the floor?  They are never very far away. Love my little companions. 


 

I wish I was a better knitter. I would knit myself a shawl. I like this color, but not the border colors. I would like it all in one color.  Now that I live near my sister, maybe she could help me. She is an excellent knitter. At least compared to me anyways.

 

Sunday dinners together as a family. I love these moments. My sister is so good to include me every week. I don't take it for granted, and I am grateful. Dan has all of his Halloween Decorations up now.  The yard is filled with headstones, and ghosties.  I love the enthusiasm he shows for all the holidays.  It makes me smile.

 

Sweater weather. It is upon us now. On Wednesday I am having my snow tires put on and my safety for the car. I hope it passes.  I need to make an appointment for it to be winterized as well. Have the oil changed, fluids checked, etc.  These are all jobs that the men in my life used to do.  I have to be the man now. I am learning.

 


Candlelight. I love it.  So warm and cozy, and if they are smelly candles, I love that as well. I especially love candles that smell like baking or spices.  I am not that into the florals. My apple one is almost burnt out now. That one I loved. I should have bought two.


 

Autumn leaves.  I love to watch them dance down the street and across the yard. My leaf raking days are over. Nobody here seems to do it these days. I can remember doing it when the children were young. They liked to play in the piles of leaves.  We used to bag them and put them out by the road and the bin men would take them away. I am not sure what people do now.

 

Warm quilts  . . .  lap quilts to throw across your legs when you are sitting and reading or watching television. I have the fabric. I just need the time. 

 

Faith. It is a guiding principle in my life. I'm struck by the thought the only guarantee in this unpredictable world is the extent of my faith in God. I say this with respect to those holding different beliefs, but I've learned for myself this is my steadiest footing: to believe in Him with a resolution that allows me to be grateful when my prayers are answered according to my requests, and to turn to Him for greater strength when the answer brings disappointment or breaks my heart for what it is unable to grant. 

My heart grieves for the world. I don't know the answers or how to fix all the pain.  I cling to my beliefs and pray for better days, and have faith that they will come.

 

As Cindy and I were leaving dad's on Saturday we she spied two perfect little wooden benches by the side of the road. Doll sized and in perfect condition.  Throwaways.  We grabbed them. One for her and one for me. They would be cute in the garden stacked with pumpkins and squashes. I have no steps. Had I, they would be stacked with pumpkins and squashes. 

I don't have a lot else to say this morning.  So I will leave you with a thought now for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。
*Dwell on the beauty of life. •。★★ 。* 。
Watch the stars and •。★★ 。* 。
see yourself running with them.•。★★ 。* 。
~Marcus Aurelius•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。*




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Dolbury Pudding.  A quintessentially British dessert.  Steamed pudding, custard sauce.  Simply delicious.

I hope your week ahead is filled with loads of small and wonderful things. Be happy, be blessed and know this to be true.

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!       
 

2 comments:

  1. I got my candles out yesterday. Great roadside finds. Sweater weather for sure, quite chilly overnight. No frost yet though. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the little bench the right size for Diadamy? Loved all your fall features. I just made your "Mostly Apples Cake" in the microwave in a smallish pyrex casserole dish. It took 2 1/2 minutes. I'm waiting for it to cool so I can ice it with your maple frosting. Thanks for the recipe, Marie. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!