Monday 23 October 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



 

Sunday supper at Cindy's.  I love that I am included in this family ritual every week.  It is nice to feel a part of a family and to spend this time together.  I am grateful for a sister who always thinks to include me.  I love these family times. I missed them so much when I was living away. Yesterday Dad had forgotten to put on his hearing aids, so everything had to be twice repeated.  Turns out he also had his reading glasses on instead of his regular glasses as well. I am surprised he could see to drive home, but somehow he did. I think the day is coming closer that he will be moving into Cindy's.

Family times are the best of times.



Going to church on Sunday, getting to partake of the Sacrament, renew my covenants and take the Saviors name upon me. I  love doing these things.  I love that Sunday is a day of rest and a day when I can just remember my Lord and Savior in such a special way. I have always been a church goer. 

It was a bit harder when the children were young.  Although my oldest son remembers me doing Sunday School at home for them.  My husband was often away from home with the army and he always took the car with himself when he went, so it was hard for me to get anywhere, especially with all the children. We did worship at home, evening prayers together, etc.

Some of my fondest childhood  memories are of going to Sunday school and of going to church with my father.

 

All the world is ablaze at the moment. The colors are stunning, even though the trees are quickly emptying. They will soon be totally bare.   How blessed are we to be able to live in a temperate climate where the seasons change regularly and bring their own individual joys to our tables.


 

Pumpkins.  I love seeing all the pumpkins.  Many people have them decorating their front gardens and porches.  A lady a few doors own has lots in her garden with little scarecrows.  So pretty. Dan is all ready to carve his. I love his enthusiasm for all of the holidays.  He makes our lives so full and interesting.  I love Dan.  He's a great guy!


 


Soup season. I love that we are coming into comfort food season. The season of soups and stews. Belly and heart warming.  They are not something you cook so much of when you are living on your own I guess. I did a lot more of it when I had a family to cook for.  But I do love both soup and stew.

 

Warm socks to keep my tootsies from freezing.  When my feet are cold, I am cold, so keeping my feet warm is important.


 

Patterns of light.  I am going to go out on a limb and say I love that the days are getting shorter. I get to enjoy more sunrises and sunsets.  In the summer months the sun rises too early most days for me to really enjoy it and it sets after I have gone to bed.  Now on these shorter days, I get to enjoy both the rise and the setting and the light which plays across my walls an floors  . . . 





I actually got in some paint time this weekend. And the cats left me alone to do it. I was surprised. I finished off these two pages in my flower journal that I started back in 2019. There are four more pages of sketches to paint in, but I will get there eventually.

It felt good.


 


My life is a wonderful balance of all that I need, emotionally, spiritually, physically. I have been through the tunnel and come out the end. I have experienced grace beyond belief.  I am loved. I have enough. Of everything. I am at peace. I am truly blessed.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。
*The cure for boredom is curiosity.•。★★ 。* 。
There is no cure for curiosity.•。★★ 。* 。
~Dorothy Parker•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。


 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Creamy Italian Sausage with Bow Ties.  I used some of the Italian Sausage that Cindy and I made together on Friday. Delicious!


I hope your day and week ahead are filled with abundance. May you have all that you stand in need of.  Anything else is a bonus!  Be happy and be blessed, and don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!       
 



4 comments:

  1. Yum...bowtie pasta dishes!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post….church, soup, socks, family, art ….and pasta!
    All the best for a Monday morning🍁. Happy day, V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very light frost when I got up, now lovely and sunny, trees look spectacular in the sun. Love your painting, you need to set aside a bit of time each day to do more. Enjoy Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!