Saturday 21 October 2023

All Things Nice . . .

 

You can smell October
In the misty air,
Bonfires in a vacant lot,
Blue smoke hanging there.

You can feel October,
In your blood and veins,
Creeping down the little streets,
Hiding in the lanes.

You can hear October
Rustling through the town,
Stirring up the crimson leaves
Bringing ivy down.

You can sense October
In your heart's deep core,
Like a lovely guest who knocks
At your kitchen door.

You can taste October,
Sweet as wine and clear,
Brew of all the golden days
Lived throughout the year.
~Edna Jaques, October
Back Door Neighbors, 1946

We do not migrate as the birds do, flying South for the winter, but I notice that there is a change in the rhythm of our lives when the seasons ebb and change.  Nights are cooler, days crisper, blue edged.  Our blood quickens, we become restless. There are suddenly a ton of projects which need to be done. Perhaps this is our equivalent of flying South for the winter.

Wood to be stacked, kindling to be gathered into the woodshed.  Windows checked for any leaks that might allow in the cold winds of the impending winter. Leaves raked.  The debris of summer cleared up in the garden plots. Weeds and raspberry canes, burned along with cornstalks to destroy any lingering pests. 

Blankets aired out on the line in the October sun and wind, leaving them fresh and prepared for stuffy winter rooms. 

For some reason I feel the need to gather in supplies for the pantry, just in case we get snowed in, and I can't get the car out  for shop runs for a number of days. Potatoes, onions, apples . . . I store them in the garage where it is dark and cool, but not cold. In the old days I would have stored them in the cellar. I make sure also that I have plenty of flour and sugar, butter in the freezer. I miss the days of glistening sparkling row of preserves and pickles lining my cupboards, but there is no one to eat them now. The circle of life  . . .  





I looked over last evening and this is the picture which greeted me. Cinnamon lost in lala land on top of the cat tower. Have you ever seen such a picture of comfort and ease?  I just wanted to snuffle her belly, but I resisted.  It would have not been appreciated and disturbed what looked like some very luxurious relaxation.

Cats can twist themselves up into the most incredibly shapes, almost like pretzels, and yet still maintain an air of totally ease whilst doing so. Cinnamon is especially good at doing this.  Oh how I love them both.




 

Dear God, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for another day that I get to see and spend time with my loved ones.  For the food that I eat and the clean water I drink. For this safe roof over my head.  For  the clothes on my back and the chair that I sit on. All good things come from thee and I just want you to know I am grateful for each and every one of them.

That is my prayer as I begin each day.





Cindy and I spent a good few hours yesterday making sausages. We started around 11 in the morning and finished up about 3:30 in the afternoon. I think there was at least 10 pounds of ground pork.  Anyways, we made three different kinds.   Sweet Italian. Cumberland. Apple.


 
(This is a picture from the last time we did it.)

I was going to take photographs, but it is pretty near impossible, even with two people doing it. That's a whole lot of sausage.  We tested little bits in the skillet as we went along to see if they tasted okay. They did.  I don't think I like the Cumberland quite as much this time as I did last time. We should have stuck with my recipe. Instead we tried another one. I think it had too much bread crumbs in it.  As it is we got rid of some of them as we thought it was a lot. In retrospect we should have cut the amount in half, although the flavor of them is good. I am not fond of the texture.  

I was able to get enough meat from inside the sausage making tool to make myself a nice apple sausage patty for my supper. Once again I loved this one.  I think the Italian are also going to be incredibly tasty. They have no fillers at all.

Best part of all.  Getting to do this with my sister.  Back breaking work but fun to do together. I think we were better at it this time than we were the last time.  Next time we will probably be better yet again!




 


Glenna called yesterday to see if I wanted to go to the Temple today. A space had opened up in the car as someone had dropped out.  I knew after sausage making my legs would be really sore today and I would be really tired and so I declined the offer with thanks. I have not been to the Temple since all of this happened with Todd.  First of all it was Covid and the Temples were closed.  I am not sure why I have not gone since they have opened up again.  


I have always enjoyed being in the Temple.  The peace within its walls, the beauty of them, etc. It truly is a sacred place for me.  Emotionally I am having a bit of a problem separating the goodness of being in the Temple from the feelings of betrayal experienced at the hands of someone who was supposedly "temple worthy."  It is very complicated  . . . I want to go, and yet at the same time I don't.  I make or find excuses every time.

I am Temple Worthy. I have a current Temple Recommend, and have never let it expire.  I have all of my clothing, etc.  I just can't seem to make myself take that step and return.  It makes me cry to think about it. I don't know what the answer is. You would think that almost three years later I would have been able to deal with all of the emotional baggage surrounding what happened and I think that I have in many ways . . . it is just going to the Temple that I am struggling with.

How someone could kneel across from me at an alter in the Temple of the Lord and make sacred eternal covenants, at the same time as knowing that they really were not worthy of doing so.  The betrayal is deep and profound, and I am not sure how to deal with it. I just keep praying for healing in this area. One day it will come.  I have faith that it will.


 

I haven't done any embroidery in a while. Nor painting. Nor sewing.  Most days by the time I finish all of my work for the day it is late in the afternoon and I am just too spent mentally to pick up more than a crochet hook. I need to do something about that.  Maybe work harder on some days so that I can then take a few days off a week so that I can spend them doing these things that I don't seem to have time for.  I need to think about that.   I am really missing the creative side of things.  


 


I am seriously considering getting one of these Lomi composters.  I hate my tiny household sized green bin. It is a constant source of uck and fruit flies. It takes me so long to fill it that I end up with liquid in the bottom of it, which creates a huge mess when I am taking it down to the green bin at the end of the street to empty it.  It is just a huge expense however. These Lomi composters are not cheap and require  new filters, etc. every three months on subscription.  I have been thinking about this for weeks now.  I was wondering if any of you have a composter and if you do, what do you think of it?  Is it worth the expense?  

I am fed up to the eye balls with my small green bin. There are three large green bins for the whole street, servicing 12 households. These are located at the end of the street.

And with that I best finish this off now and get busy with the rest of my day.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。
 *A society grows great•。★★ 。* 。
when old men plant trees•。★★ 。* 。
whose shade they know•。★★ 。* 。
they will never sit in.•。★★ 。* 。
~Greek Proverb•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。






 There is nothing new in the kitchen today, but I am sharing my recipe for Apple Jack Cookies. These are like the chocolate chip cookie of the apple world. Every bit as moreish and delicious!


I hope you have a wonderful Saturday.  It is raining here, but not overly cold.  Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       

2 comments:

  1. Sausages look delicious. Still damp, chilly and drippy rain here, it is laundry day but it won't get dried outside today. I just finished a pair of embroidered pillow cases. Enjoyed the October poem, have looked for her books but no luck so far. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda! We are getting your damp, chilly and drippy rain now! I buy Edna Jaques books on used book sites. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!