Monday 11 July 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  



My sister and I were going to go to mom's grave yesterday morning to commemorate her 90th birthday. I stayed home from church to do that, but we ended up going to the hospital instead. My poor sister had done something to her back.  I drove her over and stayed with her for about an hour, (that's how long it took for the initial contact/sign in!).  They told her it was going to be quite some time so she said for me to just go home and then come and pick her up when she was done. This was about 11:30 am.  I did not get a call until gone 3:30 or so.  Yes, she was sitting there in pain for that long. She could hardly walk. Nevertheless she did get seen to eventually and we were able to pick up a couple of prescriptions for her.  I have not talked to her yet today. I wanted to leave her to rest for the remainder of yesterday without bothering her. I will call her a bit later and see how she is. Hopefully by the end of today she is feeling a lot better.

There is nothing worse than back pain.  Pain at all can be debilitating, but back pain is almost unbearable. Please keep her in your happy thoughts.  Thank you!

 

I have been watching "This Is Us" on Netflix for the second time around. I am on season 4 now and I was watching an episode last night, the one where Randall is at his therapist and is talking about what might have happened had his father not died in the fire.  There were two versions of what might have happened. Neither one was great.  This thought occurred to me . . .

The best life is the life you are living now. Don't waste or ruin it by dwelling on "what if's" and "if only's".

It was so profound that I had to write it down. I know the words are much easier to say than to put into practice. Hindsight is always 20/20.  I don't think there is a person on earth that doesn't look back and think to themselves, if only I had done things differently.  Don't let your past ruin your present or take away from it's light.



When my brother was here he got my old laptop apart and took out the bad battery. He told me what battery to order and how to put it back into the laptop. I managed to do that the other day, but the keyboard is not working properly and so I am not able to sign properly into things so that I can start to take things off of it, like my artwork.  I will have to contact someone here in NS and see if I can't get the keyboard sorted, or if I can't have everything taken off and put onto an external hard drive. I have realized that some of my artwork (such as this piece) was left behind in the UK. I have no idea what happened to it. It was most likely tossed.  All I have are the scans that are on my old laptop which I had not superimposed my copyright onto. 

I have not really been able to/felt inspired enough to do any real artwork since mom passed away. My mojo up and left. I have not really got much time to spend on things like this now either. I work every day from the time I get up until about 3:30 in the afternoon. By that time I am really tired and not up to sitting and painting or whatever. 

There has to be a better way of doing things.



I am missing my mom, but I am very grateful that I was blessed enough to have had someone in my life that I loved enough to miss in this way, and who loved me back. Not everyone does. I recognize that is a special blessing. I am truly blessed to have a father, sister and brother and children who love me and whom I love in this same way as well.

Love is our legacy. The relationships with others that  we leave behind. To miss and be missed.



My brother's recent visit. It was so nice to see him and to get to spend time with him.  He is five years younger than myself. Whilst my sister and I were quite close when we were growing up my, brother was always someone I took care of.  The age difference meant that we were not friends in quite the same way, although I have always loved him very much. It was not until we became adults that we were able to forge a deeper friendship.  I value our relationship very much.  We have had many long and thoughtful conversations through the years.  Like my sister, we have a great love and respect for one another.  I enjoyed his time here in Nova Scotia very much.  It went far too quickly, although I am sure he was happy to get back to his life in Ottawa.  He and his wife recently celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary (May). I really admire what they have built together.

Family. It isn't a small thing. Its everything.



I love that I live in an area that is not filled with drama. A small rural area.  Life here is very peaceful, yes tranquil. A much younger person might find it boring. I was talking to my father yesterday about when he first came to Greenwood in 1952 and he said he found it boring.   I expect it was pretty boring as a 20 year old. There are no clubs to hang out in, and not a lot to do for a young person, especially if you don't have friends to do things with. He said he used to take a bus down to Yarmouth most weekends to go to the dances there, or into Halifax. No, there is not a lot here for a really young person to do, but for an older person like myself, who is longing for a quieter, gentler life  . . .  its one of the best places to be.



I have wept in the night 
For the shortness of sight 
That to somebody’s need 
made me blind; 
But I never have yet 
Felt a tinge of regret 
For being a little too kind. 
~C R Gibson

I am so grateful for the many kindnesses which have been given to me throughout the years of my life, and for the opportunities in which I have been able to show kindness to others.  Life is so much better when you garnish it with kindness, both given and received.


 


A week or so ago I broke down and replaced the bread-maker/machine that I had left behind in the UK.  I have been happily making myself bread since. It makes a beautiful loaf. I did a fresh loaf yesterday. I will be sharing the recipe soon on my blog. It was a country style loaf and I was so pleased with how it turned out. The secret?  I added some Vital Wheat Gluten to it, and used a 60/40 bakers blend flour.  Perfection. 

Home baked bread. You can't go wrong.

I don't really like the store bought bread here. I find it to be too sweet. 




This is not an easy thing to do. Accepting that you won't be able to change something is the first step toward healing. Learning to live with that truth comes next. Its painful, but I am getting there.


 


I was able to get my car out of the garage yesterday. The door works sometimes. I got lucky.  At the moment it seems to be working fine. I am afraid to put my car back into it however in case it gets stuck inside again. I am not sure what to do. It is working well now, and so I am loathe to call and have them come out to look at it. I don't want them to come and look at something which is working fine. Its when it doesn't work or sticks that they need to come and see it. Its a bit of a conundrum. I am not sure what to do for the best.

I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I am living my best life. I am content most of the time, happy most of the time. I am loved and cared for. I have wonderful people in my life and two sweet cats. My home is comfortable and I have all that I am in need of.  The secret to a happy life is to be content with what you already have.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *I don't have to chase extraordinary moments
to find happiness. It is in front of me if I'm
paying attention and practicing gratitude.
~Brene Brown  •。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。

 


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins. The small batch. Recipe makes six beautiful muffins.

I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with small and beautiful things. Whatever you get up to this week, be happy, be safe and  don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 

10 comments:

  1. Marie you should be able to plug a USB keyboard into your laptop and use that if the built in one isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I never thought of that! Thank you! xo

      Delete
  2. Try going to windows..settings..keyboard..something may be off ,,a small something maybe..Hope Cindy feels better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! She is almost back to normal now! Backpain is no fun! xoxo

      Delete
  3. ER wait times are horrendous, hope your sister is improving. Computers are challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty much back to normal now Linda, but I told her not to do too much too soon! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Thoughtful post on this Monday …poor Cindy, best wishes to her…good luck with your techy stuff…be good to you. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Cindy's back is better. Loved seeing your beautiful artwork again, Marie. Your blueberry muffins are beckoning to me. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! Cindy is much better now. I need to make more time for art in my life methinks. I hope you get to try the muffins! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!