Tuesday 16 June 2020

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

FOR TODAY, June 16, 2020 


Outside my window ... 
The sky is filled with cloud cover, but its dry.  We had a lot of rain off and on yesterday even a few Thunder squeaks. I am not sure what today will bring.


I am thinking ...
I have not been able to get out and buy cards for a while now. I did order a Father's Day card for my dad  on Amazon which Todd snuck down to the post office and mailed out.  I do have a huge stack of cards in my card pile. I often buy cards and just stick them in the pile for whenever. Its Cameron's birthday on the 22nd. He will be 7, and I have the exact date in my book, but I got this card out of my pile for an 8 year old boy and filled it in, decorated the envelope and Todd snuck it down to the Post Office and posted it and then afterwards it dawned on me, darn it!  He's 7 not 8 and now I am in bits about it. If it was one of Anthony's or Doug's boys they would have a laugh over it and understand, but this will be just another nail in the coffin of my relationship with my daughter. Just another black X in the list of ways I have failed her as a mother . . . I can't do right for doing wrong. 

I am thankful for ... 
Mitzie cuddles. She always loves me no matter what. 

In the kitchen ...  


On my "to Cook" list ...  

Julie Blanner.  Basil Lemon Pasta Salad. Looks great!  

Good to know ...  

I am creating ... 

   


Crochet Beja.  A great scrap buster. 


Your Crochet.  Light Jar Cover.  

Gallimelmas, Crochet Sheep Coaster. Sooo cute!  


Crochet Arcade.  Unicorn Cell Phone Holder.  


Crochet World, Crochet Hook Case.
  
I am reading ...  

 

Mrs. Lincoln's Sisters, by Jennifer Chiaverini
In May 1875, Elizabeth Todd Edwards reels from news that her younger sister Mary, former First Lady and widow of President Abraham Lincoln, has attempted suicide. Mary’s shocking act followed legal proceedings arranged by her eldest and only surviving son that declared her legally insane. Although they have long been estranged, Elizabeth knows Mary’s tenuous mental health has deteriorated through decades of trauma and loss. Yet is her suicide attempt truly the impulse of a deranged mind, or the desperate act of a sane woman terrified to be committed to an asylum? And—if her sisters can put past grievances aside—is their love powerful enough to save her?


 Maternal Elizabeth, peacemaker Frances, envious Ann, and much adored Emilie had always turned to one another in times of joy and heartache, first as children, and later as young wives and mothers. But when Civil War erupted, the conflict that divided a nation shattered their family. The Todd sisters’s fates were bound to their husbands’ choices as some joined the Lincoln administration, others the Confederate Army.


Now, though discord and tragedy have strained their bonds, Elizabeth knows they must come together as sisters to help Mary in her most desperate hour.

Dreaming of ...  

White Picket Fences and Gingerbread Trim . . . 

  

The sound of laundry flapping in the wind  . . . 



Little boy hugs  . . . 

  

Rose covered walls  . . . 



Fresh donuts  . . .  in paper bags  . . .  mom  . . . 
 

Something to Watch ...  

  


 
The Salisbury Poisonings.  BBC iPlayer. 
  

Makes me Smile ...  

Jon in a giant hamster ball  . . . 

A thought to carry with you ...  

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Courage is what it takes
to stand up and speak.
Courage is also what it takes
to sit down and listen.
~Winston Churchill •。★★ 。* 。  

Corners of my kingdom ... 
  

Garsington Manor, in Garsrington near Oxford.  The manor house is on land once owned by the son of the poet Geoffrey Chaucer, and at one time had the name “Chaucers”. 
  


And that's my daybook for this week!



  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 

 


✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░  



Have a beautiful day! Be safe and don't forget!   
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!    
 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. Mercy, Marie...you are WAY too hard on yourself!! You know I forget how old the grandson here is that I see often!! I had to ask my daughter just today how old he will be in July...10 or 11...he will be 10. If someone wants to be mad about something so benign...they will find a way to be mad!! I understand how hard it is to even send gifts or cards to grandkids you don't see much or hear from hardly ever...but it has to be even harder with those you never hear from!! Send him another one if it bothers you that much. Make it harder for his mom to be mad!!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when it comes to her and her youngest brother, my youngest son, I am extremely paranoid Elizabeth. I don't even know actually if their children ever get what I send because nothing is ever even acknowledged. For all I know its thrown straight into the bin. Todd always says why do I bother? I say because so long as I do the right thing nobody can ever accuse me of doing the wrong thing, and because I love them. I have another one I might send. I will think on it. Todd will go spare if I do. lol Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Heh, never heard the term "go spare"...is that "go crazy" in meaning or something else? Must be a saying among Brits? Funny the different idioms countries use. I do understand Marie...though your length of treatment extends mine...I am so sorry. I do agree however that some things we do basically for ourselves...so that we know, no matter what, WE DID THE RIGHT THING. And GOD sees your sacrifice...as it is one in ways. Those are the things that count. Men often have no grasp of these emotional things...many of them would not remember to send cards to any other person for any reason anyway...lol...
      Elizabeth with love and hugs xoxo

      Delete
    3. I think it is because they are not mothers. yes, spare is a British idiom, and means go nuts! LOL Yes, language is a funny thing! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi, Marie! Sooo GOOD to catch up with you! It's HOT here near 30 since the weekend, and will be all week--summer has arrived! Your club sandwich and that pasta salad are perfect for now! Pity about the little glitch with the card... it happens sometimes. Done that! ((HUGS)) FUN crocher projects--those sheep coasters are too cute, and so is that unicorn mobile holder! Your current reading sounds really, really good! Be taking good care there, my friend... MUCH LOVE to you, Todd and the sweet Mitzie ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been a bit humid here and next week is supposed to be hot they say! Love and hugs to you and TJ! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie, perhaps you could just explain that you were in such a rush to get the card in the mail in time tor Cameron's birthday that you didn't notice it was the wrong card until you saw that the "Happy Birthday 7 Year Old" was still in your stash of cards. It wasn't that you didn't know how old he was but a matter of doing something in haste. I'm certain one day that your daughter will regret big time her causing the alienation of her children and you. She'll probably regret her own alienation as well. Families, eh? Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sure he was turning 8. He is one of two grandchildren I have not actually met yet. Thankfully not too long after he was born my daughter did bring him to meet my mother, which she was grateful for. I did message my son in law, as he was most likely to respond and he did. I know he will smooth things over. He is such a nice man, really. I could not have picked a nicer man for her to marry if I had picked him myself. He has always been kind to me. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh I fret over silly things too..Your daughter ..well I just wish she would see clearly.You and I would love our moms back..

    And Marie we have all done things like this;)

    I remember entering The Garden Clubs annual show..I was working then..a fellow co-worker lent me his uncles war treasure..I forget what it was now..it was featured in my arrangement as the theme was a certain war..

    I go to work Monday w/ an envelope containing the treasure to return..and a letter to mail.
    Guess what I mailed?
    I was DISTRAUGHT.
    I called the post office lol..and it was returned to me..THANK goodness:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can just imagine Monique! Thank goodness you were able to get it back! Whew! I bet you were so relieved! I have had a lot on my mind lately so I guess that was the culprit. I need to do better! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Don't worry about the card, at least you cared enough to send one. I've taken to sending out all occasion cards and writing my own message. what ever I have makes do. Our grandchildren are growing up so fast it's hard to keep up with them. At least for me anyway. Hard when we don't get to know them for sure. You have the best intentions and that counts !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true Pam, I do tend to be overly cautious with my younger two! I shouldn't be but I am a bit paranoid when it comes to them! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  6. Garsington Manor is lovely looking. I'm sad that you feel bad about the age on the card. I always make similar mistakes with the children that I feel judged by. You know the important thing is you remembered and I think grandchildren will recognize that.
    I think you find the cutest crocheted items ever. I wish I could crochet better than I do and I would tackle some of them.
    I do love history so I would love the book.
    Years ago we had a home for a while with a white picketed fence in a small community and it was one of my favorites.
    Loved your sweet grandson's photo; so fun.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn! I hope you had a lovely Anniversary away to Manti! I think that is one of the most beautiful Temples. Do they still do live ordinanaces there? Love, hugs and blessings. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!