Sunday 7 June 2020

Hmmm . . . .

(source


I thought this was a beautiful cup.  It doesn't look like a normal cup and saucer with all of its jagged edges and imperfections. I'm not even sure how one would drink from it without creating a bit of a mess. Its unusual, unique . . . one of a kind. 

Are we not all broken? Is it not all of our weaknesses, failures, shortcomings, frailties that make each one of us unique?  Are we not all beautiful in our own individual ways? Are we not all beggars . . .


(source)  

It is our brokenness which helps us to connect with others. Each of us are incomplete. We stand in our own spaces on this journey towards the light.  And yet our brokenness has the capacity to widen our circles as we reach out to others who have a shared commonality of being imperfect beings. It is this giving and receiving which ties us together. How I have dealt with my brokenness helps me to be compassionate towards others, enables me to empathise, to care. In my brokenness I can freely admit that perhaps I cannot do this on my own, but together we can make it through this minute, hour, day . . .  life  . . .   

It is my brokenness which connects me with my God.

The scriptures are littered with broken people.  Moses was a murderer, a man with a grave speech impediment and yet, God used him to free a nation. King David, also a murderer, a man with many weaknesses, an adulterer, and yet his words . . .  even today, written in his brokenness . . .  lift many into a closer relationship with God. Peter, he denied Christ three times, and yet became the head of the new church.  Saul of Tarsus, murdered and tortured numerous Christians . . . he became Paul, a new man, an inspired man, instrumental in the spreading the hope of the Gospel he once decried and persecuted. 

Over and over again, God's beauty shines brightest through those who need Him the most. 




I've been thinking a lot about an old friend of mine named Judy this week.  When I was first married to my ex, Judy and her boyfriend Danny stayed with us for a time. They were ferocious with their feelings for each other. They hated and loved with equal abandonment.  They did get married eventually.  Like my ex, Danny was also in the military. Danny and his entire family were childhood friends of ours. His older brother was my ex's best friend and still is to this day.  Danny and Judy were posted to Germany eventually. They had two children, a boy and a girl.  While they were in Germany, Judy fell in love with a German bus-driver.  Their marriage fell apart.  To be honest I wasn't surprised.  Danny had always been brutal and a bully. In my heart I did not blame her for leaving.

Danny used Judy's guilt over what she had done to take the children away from her and brought them back to Canada, leaving Judy behind in Germany. 

It was many years later before I would see Judy again.  I ran into her at my oldest daughter's high school graduation. She was there to watch her son graduate, standing anonymously at the back of the auditorium amongst the lookers-on who had no family connections to the graduates, being treated like a pariah. An outsider.  My heart went out to her, and I remember talking with her and hugging her. I felt her pain at being an outsider looking in on what should have been a joyous moment for her, but for the bitterness of a man who really never deserved her in the first place and who had been brutal and mysogynistic towards her for all of their married life together. 

I had no way of knowing then that just a few years later I would be standing in the same spot, in the same position, as an outsider at what should have been a joyous moment. 

I'm still standing on the outside. Isn't it ironic, don't you think . . .  

Its like rain on your wedding day.
Its a free ride when you've already paid. 
Its the good advice you just didn't take.
and who would have thought, it figures  . . .  

Life is a funny thing  . . . 

Anyways, I've been thinking about Judy this week and wondering what happened to her.  I never did see her again.  I saw some of her children's photos on FB this past week and she was not in any of them. Not with her grandchildren or anything. My heart broke for her all over again. You never know which experience in your life will be preparing you for what's to come  . . . .  


Sometimes its a good thing we cannot see into the future. If we could, would many of us want to go there?  Squeeze all the joy that you can from your nows. 

I miss  my mom with all my heart every day, and sometimes when I think its not possible . . .  I miss her even more. 



In The English Kitchen today . . .  Grandmother's Steamed Brown Bread, a small batch recipe.  Seriously tasty.  

I've lost about 20 followers on IG now.  Because of the lack of a black square? Hmmm . . .

Have a wonderful Sunday. Be happy.  Don't forget  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!  


 





11 comments:

  1. That was a very sad story about your friend Judy, told so beautifully by you. Yes, we all have our broken bits and perhaps if we had a crystal ball, we might have taken another route at times but I suspect probably not. Sometimes we just have to play the hand we are dealt. I understand your yearning for your mom. I find myself thinking of my mom and dad and reliving childhood memories more during this pandemic. The staying at home grows more wearisome with each passing day but we are the lucky ones. We have enough food and a home to shelter us and people to love us and pets to care for and beautiful blogs to read. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been feeling sad for Judy all week, ever since I saw her children's photographs and her absence in any of them. The injustice of it breaks my heart. Judy was a lovely person and didn't deserve to be treated the way she was. Two generations have missed out on what was a valuable and important relationship with someone who loved/loves them all because of one man's selfish behaviour. Anyways, onwards and forwards! We are the lucky ones. We have enough. That is a blessing of untold wealth and magnitude! So many have not. Love and hugs to you always, STAY SAFE!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your darn right we can be in someone's shoes later in life...
    I for one would have always..always always listened to my instinct and tossed bein nice to the side;)
    I would.
    My instinct is god.And I should woulda coulda.
    Maybe you can reconnect w/ Judy?

    It's normal to miss your mom..its still so soon..

    ebb and flow..through the years..and I mean years..

    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if I could. I have looked for her, but to no avail. That is how I ended up seeing her children's photos. I think we will always miss our moms. Always. xoxo

      Delete
  3. The cruelties of this world are beyond belief...and seem to be increasing...but for those of us longing for our REAL HOME one day, there will be an end. It is sad that Judy's children as adults seem unable to see some truth now...but the children often remain captives of evil dads too. It might be, if you cannot find her, that she has died too. People do die of broken hearts. I am sorry you have had to be part of the pariah group too. Us too. I think one day, our grandkids on the East Coast, who also have almost no photos of recent years with us and them (because usually no one takes those photos when we have been with them). Also, chances are we will never be able to travel to see them again. Will they make it to see us while we are still alive? That remains to be seen. But I am writing a book for them (and my kids) in hopes that one day they will know me very well as well as stories about things that happened within my extended family, etc. It is all one can do. You are so artisitically talented Marie...you should leave a book behind for yours too...and you can make it pretty with your artwork. If you do it on a book that lies flat easily, it could be copied later, if money never comes available to take it to a copy store and be copied before then.

    Have you thought of writing to Judy's kids with stories of their mom and what you knew of her? Especially as they are adults, they would have the choice to keep the letter or not.
    Hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started a book many times Elizabeth, but hurt always gets in the way and it is abandoned. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Elizabeth, what a good idea to write a book to leave for future generations to read. Judy's grown-up children might welcome your perspective, Marie. I'm tempted to write my nieces and nephew and their children about why their mother (my sister) and I fell out of like for each other. The love is still there even though we have had no contact for 16 years. Or, then again, perhaps it's not my story to tell. Hard to know the right thing to do. Take gentle care everyone, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to know the right thing to do for sure Elaine. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Elaine...I suppose it is somewhat from desperation...our contact with our oldest 3 grandkids has been limited. And now living a continent away from them, it has been 2 years since we have seen them...and I do not know we will ever go there again. I am not sure my husband can ever travel so far again. Plus who wants to fly anymore? As if it was not hard enough already. So my writing may be a wasted effort...but at least I tried. I have no intent to give them a copy until they are out on their own at the least...or maybe even later...maybe even after I die. My heart goes out to you with your sister too. 7 years ago one brother wrote me off (nastily in an email) and the other brother just did not want to keep close anymore...I left the ball in his court. Have not heard from him now in over at least 3 years or more...I forget. But they neither one have biological kids...so there is no one I need to say anything to. It is a hard call. If you have children, perhaps one day they will let their cousins know "the rest of the story"...or you could leave behind something to be given them when you are gone. I never expected to learn first hand of how families end up loosing contact...now I know. Sending you hugs,
      Elizabeth

      Delete
  5. I can really relate to many of your thoughts today. It is important to live in the moment and enjoy every joy filled time that comes.
    I have found that through our trials, struggles and adversity that the greatest growth comes. I look at the brokenness in a different way that I used too. In my heart I know that everyone will be judge with mercy. Christ knows us inside and out. He will be able to see what made us who we are. We will be responsible for some decisions because of our choices, but mercy will come into play with some things because of our backgrounds and what caused us to think and feel the way we do. I know in my heart that Christ is there to fix our brokenness after all we can do.
    He paid the price for that one.
    Your story of your friend Judy, is such a sad one and I have seen similar stories through they years. We come to earth to be proven through trials and those who no not will not be judge as if they knew. I think there is hope for all. Our Heavenly Parents and Savior love us and want us back with them. Yes, many won't be there but they all will have the opportunity to accept of reject this marvelous loving Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    I often wonder if they shed tears for all who are so far away and smiles for those who keep trying to stay on the path.
    I just wish we could all just love one another as the Savior loves us.
    I look forward to that millennial reign and hope to be here. We do need peace.
    Sorry, for the thoughts that are running through my mind as I read your thoughts.
    Sending loving thoughts, prayers and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am grateful for Christ and all He has done, does and will do for us. Where would we be without His perfect example! I look forward to the Millennial reign also. Love and hugs always. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!