(Me and Mom, circa 1958)
I thought it would be fun this morning to review a few of her pearls of wisdom. I am sure that you can probably all relate to at least some of this!
1) Don’t ever leave the house without clean underwear. You never know when you will be in an accident and God forbid you are wearing dirty underwear when it happens.
2) Touching frogs causes warts. I've kissed quite a few toads through the years, but thankfully I've never touched any frogs.
3) Carrots help you see in the dark. I like carrots and eat them all the time. I've never gone without eating them for long enough to see if those words are true.
4) Fish is brainfood. I like fish. I eat it alot, and I'm smart . . . point proven!
5) If you keep crossing your eyes, they're going to stay that way. We used to have a breadman with crossed eyes. I was fascinated with this. One day my mother caught me practicing crossing my eyes, hence the warning . . . I think though, that she was just afraid that I'd do it when the breadman was around and he'd think I was making fun of him.
6) Don't talk with your mouth full. Having been spattered with flying bits of food during conversations with people that do . . . I realize the wisdom of those words.
7) Don't sit so close to the television, you'll go blind. The probability of dying from some sort of cancer from the radiation is probably more likely, but still . . . I make sure I sit well back.
8) Eat everything on your plate. There are starving children in Africa. To this day I'm not sure how cleaning my plate off made a difference. Was she going to package up all that we hadn't eaten and mail it off to Africa?
9) How do you know you don't like it if you don't taste it? Umm . . . Mom . . . there are certain things I absolutely KNOW that, never in a million years, a BAZZILLION years, I am ever going to like eating . . . whether I taste them or not.
10) Don't get your school clothes dirty. Very hard, when you're a kid, and dirt follows you around like a magnet . . .
11) You have five minutes to pick your toys up. After that, I'm throwing them out. (I confess, I was never brave enough to put this to the test. Toys were always picked up.)
12) These years are the best years of your life. Very true . . . such is the carefree life of a child with no worries or bills to pay . . .
13) You wait til your father gets home. (no explanation needed)
14) If you don't study hard, you won't get a good job. This is sooo true! Pity some of us don't really pay attention until it's too late!
15) If you don't go to sleep, Santa won't come. Oh, the agony . . .
16) Don't stare, it's not polite. Ummm . . . but it's so interesting mom.
17) Don't bite your fingernails. I suppose it is a dirty habit, especially when one realizes just how many germs our hands harbour.
18) Go play outside, you need the fresh air. (Not to mention she needed some peace and quiet.)
19) Don't slam the door! oops . . . sorry . . . and the piece de resistance . . .
20) Because I told you so!!
Just a little bit of humor here this morning. It's good to laugh at ourselves sometimes! And where would any of us be without our mothers! Love mine to bits and bits and bits . . .
I did go to the activity last night and had a great time. I also got another two chapters sent off to my Editor yesterday. Only 4 more to go and a week to do them in. YIKES!
A thought to carry with you through today . . .
.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~＼。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ ｜ 田田 ｜門 ★
*.˛.° ˛°. .
˛"The purpose of our lives
is to give birth to the best
which is within us."
~Marianne Williamson •。★★ 。* 。
Baking in The English Kitchen today, Date, Honey and Pistachio Slices. Delish!
Have a wonderful Saturday. Don't forget!
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
And I do too!