Monday 15 August 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 


This is me (middle front) on my sixth birthday. It is hard to believe that 61 years have passed by since then!  I had a lovely birthday this past weekend and I thank everyone so very much for the Happy Birthday wishes, gifts, etc. I did have a very nice day that began with cake for breakfast. (Doesn't everyone do that?)   I facetimed with my son Doug and his family and Anthony and his. I was well covered in love. My sister cooked us a beautiful meal and made me the nicest Birthday cake anyone has ever made me. I did not get a photograph of it, but it was a strawberry cake. 

 

 
Three lucious layers filled with strawberry jam and a lush strawberry cream cheese frosting, which always coated the outside of the cake. It took her three days to make it.  It was delicious!  She added one special ingredient that really made it the best cake ever and that was a huge dollop of LOVE! 

I am so grateful for and really appreciate this special sister of mine who would spend three days making me a cake for my Birthday to make my day extra special.  She also remembered that I needed a hair dryer and she and Dan gave me one!  She also made me an outfit for Luna, which I will photograph and show you another time!  Its adorable.

Getting to spend time on your birthday with the people you love most in this world is such a blessing.  I am so thankful for this treasure.  Thank you Cindy, Dan and Dad! Love you all so much.





 
My new Susan Branch Book. I just love it. Its put together so beautifully and is filled with an abundance of inspiration. Both in the words and in the artwork.  There is so much love, talent and beauty packed into this book.  I am so pleased that I treated myself to it. 




Another book I bought for myself. (I love books, what can I say.) It was based on my brother's recommendation and I have to say I am enjoying it very much.  Two beautiful stories, captured intermittently, that somehow blend together in a beautiful way, reminding us that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are ever present in our stories, even during our darkest moments, especially during our darkest moments.  


 


Fresh corn season.  I love corn on the cob. The whole time I was in the UK I was dreaming of the corn on the cob from back home, and how good it tasted. They didn't really have great corn in the UK I didn't think. Not like what I was used to.  Their climate isn't really suited to growing corn. Anyways, I have been enjoying the corn here at home. I can't quite enjoy it as abundantly as I could when my body was much younger and able to digest it better, but I am still enjoying it nonetheless!  (in much smaller quantities.) 


 


 The way the house smells after you've been pickling.  Like vinegar and spice and sugar.  I just adore that smell.   Home Sweet Home. 





The season of plenty.  I love this time of year when we have such a beautiful abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables to enjoy. I could sit and eat a whole plate of green beans and nothing else, or a plate of fresh earthy new potatoes.  Carrots freshly pulled. Fresh salad vegetables, cherries, blueberries, plums, etc.   We are spoiled into thinking that these things bought off season are delicious, but really nothing beats the flavor of fresh, local, seasonal fruits and vegetables. 







Church on a Sunday morning. The chance to fellowship with the Saints and renew my covenants with the partaking of the sacrament. The talks, the hymns, the lessons.  I love it all.  On Saturday nights, I confess, I usually don't feel like going, but I get up on Sunday morning and I go and I am always happy that I did. 




Covid is making its way through Doug's whole family. Jon went to Tim Horton's Camp and came home, testing positive the very first night. Within 24 hours his grandfather had it and as of last night only Doug and Jake were testing negative. I doubt that will continue.  I hope and pray that if Doug gets it, it will be a mild form, due to his heart condition and other health challenges.  So far, he says, that everyone seems to only have a mild case, so I am praying that will continue. Praying the vaccines do their job.  




Birthdays always give one pause to reflect on the years we have been blessed with and the things we have accomplished. I am grateful for each of mine. When I was a young child I wanted to be a wife, mother and writer.  Those were my goals and I have been blessed enough to have achieved all three of those.  I have five lovely children, each one content and successful in their own right. They are good people, all differences aside. I do believe that I was  a good mother.  And I was a pretty good father as well, considering I was on my own with them most of the time due to the requirements of my ex husband's career. I think I was a pretty good wife also as he would never have achieved all that he did without my support.  

I have built a lovely and comfortable little home for myself after having gone through a terrifically tumultuous time of great difficulty.   I have managed to begin my life again with very little not once or twice, but three times.  I have educated myself and I do believe that I have talents.  

And I say none of this to brag, but only to remind myself (when that inner voice begins chattering at me) that I am not a failure.  I have always tried to do my best.  That I am worth much more than my worst moments.

I am grateful for all of it.

 

I count it all joy.  I am blessed beyond measure.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Attention is
the beginning of devotion.
~Mary Oliver  •。★★ 。* 。 


 
 

They say man does not live by bread alone, but I could live by this one. Instant Potato Bread. In the kitchen today. Its fabulous! 

I hope your week ahead is filled with plenty of small and wonderful things. May your cups run over with joy.  Whatever you experience remember this  . . . 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 




9 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday to you ! You cake looks wonderful. You are blessed for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful birthday. Wishing a speedy recovery to Doug's family from covid. Thanks to vaccines they are mild cases. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a special birthday!! Sounds like the best of the best!! Hope Doug and family will all be ok...it is worrisome. It seems this later varient is easier on folks tho. And hubby and I have survived the ones we had, though not fun nor easy!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth! These new variants seem to be a lot less difficult for people, but I do worry about Doug with his heart condition. xoxo

      Delete
  4. I’m so glad you had a nice birthday, continue to reminisce, celebrate and enjoy!!! Hope your family will soon be healthy, such a worry these days. I always enjoy your writing and visiting you here. Have a happy new week. xo,V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V! I really appreciate your comments! Happy week to you also! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky! Thank you! For everything. I don't blame you for being nervous, it seems schools and young people are hot beds of the virus. I have the Panasonic Automatic Bread Maker Model# SD-RD250. Its an excellent machine and I highly recommend it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!