Wednesday 3 August 2022

Wednesday Ponderings . . .

 
She thought to herself, "This is now." 
She was glad that the cozy house, 
and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. 
They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. 
It can never be a long time ago.” 
 ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods


This past year, and then some, has been all about embracing the "now" with me.  Trying to dwell in all of the "good" and the "pure" that exists in my life at the present. Often this is not easy, especially considering the world that we find ourselves living in.  These modern times are challenging and we are surrounded by negativity, but despite that, there is also plenty of good to be found . . .  and that is what I choose to invite into my life. It has made all the difference in the world. 

Yesterday can not be changed . . .  tomorrow has not yet come  . . .  today is what we have . . . the here and the now,  and it has the power to determine our tomorrow's in a large way.

There is much joy to be found in enjoying the simple things of the every day.  The humble things which keep us centered . . . .  traditional values and activities which fill our hearts with joy and with peace.  The practice of gleaning the good from today is what makes for a happy life.  Tomorrow may never come . . . and as Emily Dickenson so rightly put it . . . Forever IS composed of now's.


 

“This is the day which the Lord hath made; 
we will rejoice and be glad in it.” 
~ Psalm 118:24


I have learned over these months, and quite rightly so, to never ignore or resist an impression or impulse to do a kindness for another, and my very heart has been blessed in the doing.  Often this is something as simple as just picking up my phone and calling a person who has been on my mind and in my heart.   We often allow our days get so busy that we forget sometimes to "practice the pause" . . . there is no better way to practice the pause than to share a few kind words with someone whose life touches yours.  It is a heart warming and life enriching experience.

The other night as I was getting ready for bed my heart went to my mother as if often does and I thought to myself, she knew what it was to be alone.  She lived on her own pretty much from the age of 53 on.   There was her cat Ginger, and her.  For many years, every week she diligently wrote each of us . . . my brother, sister and myself . . . long handwritten letters.  After a time, it went down to every other week and finally at the end, the letters stopped when it became more difficult for her to write and to string her thoughts together.   

I found myself wishing that I had called her more often, 
that I had not allowed my life to become so busy 
that I had neglected to find the time to spend . . .  
even a few minutes with her, more frequently.


I called often, but not as often as I should have done . . .  as I wished I had of done. Hindsight is always 20/20. 


 


I have challenged myself over these last months to not allow my life to become cluttered with things I don't need.  To be much more discerning about what I invite into my home and into my life.  I am not always successful, but I am getting better.   I have found that minimalism brings me more joy than maximalism.   (I am not even sure if that is a word, but I am using it.)

It is a real challenge for me because I am a collector, and I have my weaknesses.  Art supplies, fabric . . .  yarn . . . food and cooking related things . . . those are my Achilles heels.

I am a work in progress, but I am getting better at it.


 

‘When someone once asked me just what it was 
that my parents did that made me believe in God, 
without even thinking I said, 
“I think it was French toast on Saturday mornings 
and coffee and Celtic music 
and discussions and candlelight in the evenings…” 
Because in those moments I tasted and 
saw the goodness of God in a way I couldn’t ignore.”’
~ Sarah Clarkson


I am experiencing the presence of God in my life in multiple and amazing ways.  Over the past, almost 24 months now . . .  I have become ever more cognizant of His hand in my life and the shaping and workings of it.  Sometimes it is in small and subtle ways, and then other times it slaps me full in the face. 

I am not perfect . . .  I have my moments when I give in to despair and I cry deep soul wrenching, heart-felt tears of sadness and sorrow.  Moments when the words won't come, when the prayers won't come.  Moments when I cannot express fully the deep sorrows I am feeling and I just cry out to the Lord in my aching sadness.  It is usually when I get into bed at night and I cannot crowd out the things that bother me with busy-ness. I have moments when all the things which have happened just become too much for me to bear the weight of it all . . . 

I have learned to bring them to the Lord, and I know that He is listening. He has shown this to be true, over and over again.

 



Last night was just such a night. I felt myself feeling very overwhelmed by the weight of it all.  I opened my scriptures to 2 Chronicles and began to read about King Jehoshaphat . . .  a man who set himself to seek God first . . . and I began to read his petitions to the Lord on Israel's behalf when they had found themselves surrounded on all sides by their enemies.

"And all Judah stood before the Lord, with their little ones, their wives, and their children. Then . . . came the Spirit of the Lord in the midst of the congregation; and he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the Lord unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's. ~2 Chronicles 20:13-15


And I was immediately comforted. 

Sometimes as we face our greatest challenges of heart, all that is required is for us to stand before His house, in His presence, and cry unto Him.  To lay it ALL at His feet, and to believe that He will hear and help. To trust that He WILL be with us. The battle is NOT ours, but His.  He is with us in all things and will help to bear us up. He IS with us.





I tried so hard last evening to catch the hummer's aerial battles. It went on for quite a while, but they are too quick and my camera is too slow.  




At best all I could capture was them quenching their thirst in between the chasing off . . . 


 

Woody witnessed it all.

I had a good time with my sister yesterday.  I did not buy much at Michaels.  Some stickers and washi tape. I like washi tape and I use it a lot.  They didn't really have what we were looking for. We then went to the Walmart in New Minas. It is a much larger one. They didn't have what we were looking for either, but I did get myself a pair of Pinking shears that I had been wanting.  We then went to the Convenience store and picked up our sugar. We stopped at Pierce's Farm Market and I got some potatoes.  Their stuff all looked really good, but I am restraining myself to buying things only when I need them not on the supposition that I might could use them.  We were going to go to the Green Elephant and nab a sandwich, but we ended up coming straight home after that.

We will have to search online for what we want.  I wish I could show you the beautiful bag that my sister has sewn together.  It is so gorgeous. She is such an expert seamstress. She puts me to shame. And with that I best get going as I have to go to the Clinic this morning to have my blood pressure checked and pick up some blood forms.

I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *I wish to preach,
not the doctrine of ignoble ease,
but the doctrine of the strenuous life.
~Theodore Roosevelt•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Buttermilk Whole Wheat Bread.  Man does not live by bread alone, but I could certainly live by this one!  Its fabulous!

I wish for you a beautiful day.   Be happy and blessed and fulfilled. Don't forget . . . 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 




2 comments:

  1. So much to be said for the comfort of the Scripture...so often we read from Psalms, as it just fits so perfectly our lives and for that matter, the things going on in the world even today!! I too wish I had had more time with my mom...even though I did the best I could to stay in close contact with her. It was not enough and she died when I was only 48...she was just 69, still too young. But we don't get to choose...and at least we know that one day we will see them again, never to be parted. Wishing you all the best,
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take thing daily, that is my motto. I too, need to restrain from buying, I think staying home during Covid has really helped, and I am using up my stash of crafting supplies, but every now and then I am tempted. Have a wonderful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!