Saturday 26 May 2018

Things that make you go grrr . . .

 

In the spirit of sharing, as you all know I love to do, I thought today I would share some things recently which I have found pretty annoying.  Lets get it all out there! 


I love cheese spread.  I like it on toast. No butter, just cheese spread . . . most containers only hold enough for about 4 slices of toast, so I recently bought what looks like a much larger container.  I don't know why I didn't notice this in the shops . . .



What looks to be a nice sized container of cheese spread is really only half the size. That's because there is a huge concave bit on the bottom of the container which reaches almost halfway up the container.  Okay maybe a third of the way.  But the point is, they are trying to make you think you are getting more by deceitful packaging. I will still buy it anyways, but why not just show consumers exactly what they are getting instead of making it look like they are getting more. 


Grocery store specials that aren't really all that special. Most shelves will tell you on the little info card what the item costs per 100g.  But I have noticed lately that when they have something on "Special" the cost per 100g is interestingly missing from the one that isn't on "special."  Say for instance you want to buy oatmeal and they have the packs with 8 servings in it on special @ 2 for a certain price.  The packs that say 16 servings in them, will actually cost less than buying two of the other, but no cost per serving will be shown. Not sure if I am making sense here, but hopefully you will know what I am talking about. 


The incredible shrinking package. And it is happening all the time.  The price seems to stay the same, but the size you are getting for that same price is going down, down, down . . .  

There is actually a term for it. Its called  . . . 
"Shrinkflation."

And its real. They are all doing it. 


Now this one drives Todd mad.  Petrol prices that don't exist.  What is .9 in money?  Why don't they just charge 123p or 126p or 62p ????  Why charge a price that doesn't exist.  Have you ever put exactly one litre of petrol in the car or geri-can?  Impossible.  Because they can't give you .1 change. It doesn't exist. 

  

Jars that won't open.  I have a jar of mayonnaise in my cupboard that just won't open. I have tried everything.  I have tried heating the lid under hot water. I have tried using a special rubber grip glove. I have tried using a rubber band. I have tried banging it gently on the countertop.  I have tried literally everything.  That lid is not budging.  No matter what I do.  Annoying. 


Shrink wrap packaging, especially on cosmetics.  Pieces of plastic that are heat shrunk to fit on your tube of mascara, or foundation, etc. which purpotes to make them tamper proof, etc.  I timed myself trying to open a brand new tube of mascara the other day and it took me over 15 minutes. I kid you not.  First I couldn't get the supposedly easy to tear open strip to work.  I had to go find a pair of scissors and then try to get them in so they didn't damage the tube of mascara, and when I finally got it started, it only came off in tiny bits, only to discover once I had it all off that that piece of shrink wrap was only holding the bar thingie on it. There was an entire new layer of shrink wrap that I had to try to remove all over again to actually get into the mascara.  

But it is on everything.  Condiment jars, pickle jars, etc.  Sometimes its easy to get them started and off, but  more often than not, its a struggle. 

And don't get me started on the push down, squeeze and turn lids that are on
things like bleach bottles. 

I M P O S S I B L E 


Lettering on keyboards that wears off.  This is a photo of my actually key board. I am okay with it until I have to think about it, because I know how to type and I actually just type without having to look at the keyboard, but if I had to look at the keyboard I would be in big trouble because half of the lettering has worn off and my laptop is only about 2 years old.   As you can clearly see the A, S, D, E, N and M are non-existant. So is the L.  In fact the E has a little groove boring right into it. O is on its way out as well and H will soon be gone entirely also.  Oops so are C and V.  If this keeps up there will soon be no letters evident on my keyboard at all.   


I know there are at least 3 or 4 brushes left in it but  . . . . 

  

I can't get it out.  I will need to cut the end off the tube and 
wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.

Tick whichever applies . . . 

Toothpaste, handcream, shampoo, etc.

All of the above.


The fact that you can't buy any fresh produce in the grocery store that has a use by date of more than a few days. Seriously.  What's up with that?  Yes, I am the annoying person who digs underneath and way at the back to get the longest date possible.  I have very few food dollars to spend and I don't want to waste them on food which is going to go manky about 2 days after I bring it home.  That's another reason I don't really like online grocery shopping for fresh food.  If I am in the shops I will get the longest sell by date that I can, but when they home deliver, you always get something which is going to expire in a couple of days, maybe even today.  This mostly applies to things like salad fixings, fresh herbs, but also green beans.  Oh, and the size of the packages.  I don't know how families can afford to feed their children.  If one wants to look at some of the causes of child obesity just look at the difference in price differences between  unhealthy and healthy food.  For instance . . .  you can get a pack with 4 large sausage rolls in it for £1 but it will cost you twice that much to get a pack of green beans, and that pack of green beans might feed two people, not a family. Its criminal.  If the Government really wants to tackle obesity they might want to look at this issue.  If I have 3 strapping young lads to feed and keep full . . . and a limited budget. Well, its really a no-brainer.  

Shouldn't healthy food cost less than junk food???


And when was the last time you had a loaf of supermarket bread grow stale before it got mouldy?  Seriously my bin has about 3 half loaves of mouldy bread in it at present.  My whole wheat loaf (because I don't eat white), Todd's white loaf (because he doesn't eat whole wheat) and a half bag of buns.  I know you can buy smaller loaves, or half loaves and they would all get eaten, but they also cost more.

And those are just a few things that make me go grrr.  How about you? 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
A successful woman is one
who can build a firm foundation 
out of the bricks that others
have thrown at her.  •。★★ 。* 。 

I am listening to: To Know God, Howard W Hunter. 


 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Nut Jumbles.  Mmm . . . chewy coconut and toasted nut cookies with a browned butter glaze.

Have a great weekend. Its a bank holiday weekend here and today looks like it will be nice and sunny!  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


6 comments:

  1. I remember that time you came to visit me for 2 weeks...you wore the letters off my keyboard and I had to re-write them on with a sharpie! i'm looking at my keyboard and it looks like they have just used letter decals on the keys....perhaps you could find some of these in the scrapbooking section of a craft store? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered that this morning also Sis. Maybe I pound the keys too hard? Could be that because I was trained to type on the old fashioned non-electric type writer! Love you! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi:) I am missin I..almost N and almost T and O..so yes Z is sharp Q too all the symbols ..but yes those letters.
    Jars I cannot open..hard plastic covers on mascaras and such..all packaging..so hard..price stickers on the front of items.
    My hands ..nor Jacques can do what they used to.
    Spray bottles that don't spray lol..
    Oh a ton of things..

    a ton.:)

    Have a great weekend Marie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that there is a purpose in all this stuff, and that is to protect against tampering and theft, but oy, how hard does it need to be, lol. Bon weekend a tois aussi! oxoxo

      Delete
  3. Your list of Grr's are exactly mine also. I hate how things are packaged. I am upset with the prices and the deceiving on sizes. I dislike how produce is handled and the prices are terrible on the healthy foods. I too always look for the expiration date that is furthest out on salads trimmings.
    I am disgusted with gasoline prices here in the US. It always goes up sky high when the travel season comes.
    I hate the bread thing too. Recently, I have been freezing it and then just out a piece for toast and or warm it up.
    I loved how they used to handle things in the days gone past.
    You covered all of my gripes; so now I can let them go.
    Blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha LeAnn! Do you think its our age??? Most of the cost of our gas here in the UK is tax that the Government gets. Its outrageous! Love, hugs and blessings to you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!