Saturday 19 May 2018

Saturday this and that . . .


Well, its all set to kick off here about 9 am today with news coverage of everything that is going on surrounding the big wedding. Almost all of yesterday was taken up with coverage also. This seems to be a really big thing, even bigger than the wedding of the Duke and Duchesse of Cambridge a number of years back.  This is one very popular and happy young couple.  I, for one, am so pleased for them.   I can't wait to see the gown!  Who designed it. What will it look like. I am sure it will be the epitome of good taste. (As if it could be anything else!)  The actual wedding itself kicks off at noon GMT, so judge accordingly!  


The tradition of wearing a white wedding gown began with Queen Victoria apparently. Up to that point most brides just wore a pretty dress, no matter the colour.  


This was the Queen Mother on her wedding day.  Very 1920's I think, flapperesque, but beautifully understated.



I was not alive when the wedding of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip happened. Members of the Commonwealth all over the world particpated, sending over things for the Royal Wedding Cake, and all sorts.  Having just been through WW2 it was just the ticket for lifting spirits!They have been married now for 70 years.  Amazing.  He had a hip replacement not too long ago, but is said to be attending today.  Hooray!  It was a wedding on a poste-war shoe-string, but still very beautiful I think. 

  

Princess Margaret's dress was quite a bit simpler I think, with very modern classic lines. 


Princess Anne was covered up to her chin, but again, very simple and of course a long train. 

 

I can still remember when I first saw Diana's dress.  Beautiful puffed sleeves, with lots of gathers and ruffles. It looks quite dated now, but at the time I thought it was gorgeous! Poor girl . . .  I cannot look at those wedding pictures now without feeling more than a little sad.


Sara Ferguson's dress was quite a bit more streamlined, but still with some puffly sleeves and of course a very long train. I always felt kind of sorry for her.  I don't think she was very well prepared for the "Royal Machine." Nor was the machine prepared for her!  I think it is very telling that she and Andrew are still very good friends and neither has remarried. 


Of all the wedding gowns I think this is my least favourite when Sophie married Edward. (I always have trouble remembering his name.) I don't think I even watched that wedding for some reason. Looking at the photo, it doesn't look like it fit very well.  And I am not a huge fan of the sleeves, but they look very happy and are still married.  ♥ 

  

I think Catherine's dress has been the most beautiful one so far of all the wedding dresses. It is stylish, and modest and beautiful.  But then that is The Duchesse of Cambridge . . .  stylish, modest and beautiful . . . 


The epitomy of elegance in a second marriage.  I thought Camilla looked quite lovely in her wedding day finery when she and Prince Charles got married.  Very nice for the older woman. 

So what will today bring???
I am on pins and needles! 

I am quite sure it will be stunning to say the least. Meghan is a very
beautiful woman and I think she would look lovely in a paper bag. 

  

This was me at age 19 at my first wedding.  The gown was borrowed from my ex sil. It had been hers and had been ballerina length on her, but to the ground on me. I remember it had a hoop skirt crinoline underneath and I had to be very careful walking and sitting down. I carried the bible my Father had given me for Easter when I was four years old with a simple spray of roses on top.  That was my bouquet. 


I look back at the photos now and think I was quite pretty, although I did not think so at the time.  I never ever saw myself as being pretty.  I sure would like to look like that now! haha!  With the figure as well. I was a size five.  I won't tell you what I am now. The glass on your computer screen would crack, lol.  


I would have loved a Bride Doll when I was a little girl.

I think all brides are beautiful on their wedding days.  I have never seen one that wasn't.  Their eyes filled with hope and love and expectations of a happily ever after.  I am sure Meghan will be as well, possibly even stunning, well most assuredly stunning.   

  

And we have another wedding to look forward to in October, although I don't think this one will be televised, etc. or as big a deal as she is a bazillionth in line to the throne. Princess Eugenie will be marrying Jack Brooksbank at the same chapel as Harry and Meghan are being wed. 


A tweet from her mum.  

It is a shame almost that their joy and happiness is being eclipsed by this wedding today.  I wish them all the happiness in the world also! 



 So excited to be seeing this girl again, later today.  It's Sister Campbell!  She did her mission over here several years back.  I did a tea party for she and her companion Sister Milben when they were both serving in the Ward.  We have stayed in touch since her mission finished and I am looking forward to seeing her again!  I love that these young people go off their missions, and stay in touch and still think of us from time to time.  We surely love them! 


Speaking of Missionaries, we watched this film last night.  The Saratov Approach. It is the true story of two LDS Missionaries who were abducted in Saratov Russia back in 1998.  It was a really good film. I love films based on real life.  The fact that these two lived through their ordeal and survived is amazing.  God was surely on their side.  They were held captive for five days, beaten, tortured and abused. Its a miracle that they were let go. 

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
A happy marriage 
is the union of
two good forgivers.
~Robert Quillen•。★★ 。* 。

This is sooooo true! 

What I am listening to today:  Nurturing Marriage, President Russell M Nelson. (April 2006)

 

In the kitchen today  . . .  a beautiful breakfast fit for a wedding day, with a Souffled Herb Omelet, Sweetheart Corn muffins and a whole lot more.


Have a beautiful day. Its gorgeously sunny here and supposed to get very warm! Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!
     

 

PS - Tears of joy have been shed.  Beautiful couple.  Beautiful wedding.  



 






May it be a true "Happily Ever After!

Psst - It was Givenchy and very classic. Just like I thought it would be.

6 comments:

  1. I just watched the wedding streaming it on my phone. CNN news had it for our viewing. How beautiful the bride was and everything else in-between .Hope you have a lovely Saturday. It's to be wet and raining here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny and warm here Pam. Happy is the Bride the sun shines on! Enjoy your day! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Beuatiful beautiful beautiful.Kate's dress and hers ..my faves.
    So..I saw 2 videos..one ..Meghan walked herself down the aisle..the other Charles did..what happened?:)
    Did you see the little boy up close holding Meghan's train? Priceless!Thanks for all this history:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She walked the first half herself, and he walked her the second half handing her off to Harry. It was a beautiful wedding. From beginning to end. I loved every minute of it. A fairytale come true! They are both so obviously happy! Xo

      Delete
  3. The Wedding was beautiful and her grown was lovely. I thought it was just so perfect in every way. I loved how elegant but simple and very modest. They do look very happy.
    Thanks for sharing the Royal wedding dresses through the years; that was so fun to see.
    I loved many of the gowns. By the way I think your's was stunning. You were and are a beautiful woman inside and out.
    Blessings, love and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much LeAnn! Oddly enough I never thought I was even pretty. I hear many women say the same thing. Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be? Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!