Wednesday 16 May 2018

On being grateful . . .




“And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.” ~ D&C 78:19

I try to spend some time each day, several times a day, looking up to the heavens and thanking my Heavenly Father for all the many blessings I have in my life. I do this both by myself, and together with my Todd. It’s so good to be together as a family, no matter how small, and to hear daily expressions of gratitude to our Heavenly Father that are shared by the both of us. It’s at once a very humbling and a very inspiring experience. There is something very special about sharing one’s faith and life with a man who shares the same connection. It was something that I prayed to have, for many, many years. Prayers do get answered, and not always in the way we expect them to be either! 


The Lord intended His children to enjoy the good things in life. "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25). With all that we have, we must also have grateful hearts, and we must teach our children not to take all their many blessings for granted. I wake up each day and I look around me and I pinch myself, just to make sure I’m not dreaming, and then I say a silent thanks to my Heavenly Father for all that He has given me and seen fit to bless me with.

Thank you. Two simple words that can convey all the depths of your heart to it’s recipient. Two simple words that say it all. Two simple words that should never be left unsaid. Thank you is a wonderful phrase. Use it. It will add stature to your soul and heart. Never let a day go by without saying thank you to someone, at least once, for something . . . and most especially to your Heavenly Father.



Even in the darkest of corners and experiences in life, there is something to be grateful for, some little spark of light. That’s how I try to live my life, even though it’s not always easy to do so. But how can you find what you are not seeking . . . look always for the light and you will find it, and when you do . . . be grateful and give thanks. Know, always, that it is there waiting for you to discover it, even though at the time it may be obscured by our own self doubt and self pity.

When I look back on my life, and see all the experiences that I have had, that I had thought to be really bad experiences at the time, as well as times of sorrow and disappointment, (and there have been many) I have discovered that they were really times of great growth and enlargement, mind and heart expanding. I am able then to give thanks for these disasters, however large or small they might have been. Each setback has brought with it a little gift, a lesson to be learned, a pearl of wisdom, some blessing to be enjoyed, if not right at the time, then later . . . when my mind has cleared and my heart has settled. 


 We each one of us have that power within us, that special gift, the opportunity to be able to turn our sorrows into joy, our defeats into triumphs, our darkness into light . . . it only takes two little words . . . Thank you . . .

There is something to be thankful for each day of our lives . . . even on what we think are the worst of days . . .

“Stop looking for the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.”
~Gordon B Hinckley 


What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was beautiful, warm and sunny and today it is quite cold, windy and raining. We  need the rain too, so that's okay. If every day was beautiful, warm and sunny, we might not appreciate them for the gift that they are!

We had a lovely time last evening with the Senior Missionary Couple who are serving here in our Ward at the moment. They are such nice people. Mind you, I think all of the missionaries are nice as you know, so nothing new there!  I had started off  making soup in the slow cooker, but I changed my mind and froze the soup for another time. It ended up being such a warm day that I felt soup was too hot to serve, and so we dined on potato salad, coleslaw, sliced ham and my mothers baking powder biscuits. A much better choice.

I was woke up by some really bright flashed of light last night about 11 pm, not once but twice.
So bright that they lit up all of the stairs which I could see from the open bedroom door. I went downstairs to see what was up, but could find nothing amiss at all.  I must have been dreaming. Afterwards I thought, that was pretty brave of me to go downstairs like I did. There could have been anythng going on, robbers, or whatever.  I was thinking that Todd had left the TV on, or something like that, or maybe there was a fire.  All sorts was going through my mind I suppose.  Thankfully nothing was amiss and I did not see the light/flashing again.  Maybe it was my imagination.

They say that the mind and your imagination are a powerful thing!

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
Shine brightly, see beauty.
Speak kindly, love truly.
Give freely, create joyfully.
Live thankfully.
~Mary Davis° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 

Spiritual Enlightenment 


 

In the kitchen today  . . .  Curry Chicken Fried Rice.  I so love fried rice suppers.  They are a great way of using up what you have going and so tasty. This smelled amazing when it was cooking. 

Have a beautiful day, whether the sun shines or the rain falls. Don't forget . . .


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 


10 comments:

  1. Yes I agree, being thankful is important and helps you to appreciate what you have too. Like you I had a wonderful husband that I could share my faith with and pray with. What a difference it makes. Although he's gone now, he is never forgotten. I happen to have some leftover chicken and fried rice sounds wonderful. Think I will make some for myself today. Thanks for the suggestion ! Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you have to be without your husband now Pam. Sadly that will happen to most of us as women tend to live longer than men. But we do have many other blessings to enjoy while waiting for joyful reunions! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Thank you dear Marie for this beautiful post on gratitude. It would really be a wonderful message for church. Being thankful is so important and I try to recognize those tender mercies and blessings that come each way and be grateful to our loving Heavenly Father for them.
    Thanks for the quotes; they were lovely.
    Sending loving grateful thoughts for you and big hugs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn! My life has been filled with tender mercies! Love you! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~

    I'm so glad that you didn't find anything going on when you woke up...that could of been scary!

    Gratitude is such a wonderful blessing in our lives. I love the fact that we are able to thank, Heavenly Father each day for our blessings, for all that He gives us and continues to give us each day, not matter how small. I'm grateful for opportunities to serve, and for the service that others give to me. I am especially grateful for friendship. Your friendship means so much to me, I just love you so much! When I opened your post, I saw my sweet, LeAnn, who means so much to me, and I am so grateful for her and love her as well! We may not ever meet in person, but we can touch each other's hearts through our words, right here on your blog!

    Thank you for this post today...for your thoughts, and for your kindness and love.

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I love most about blogging Barb! The ability to touch hearts with kindred spirit friends like yourself, LeAnn and others! What a blessing you are in my life! Love you! Xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!