Wednesday 23 May 2018

A gift of friendly thoughts . . .

 
Friendly thoughts are quite like flowers. They cost little, but mean an awful lot. There is no wayside weed but makes its little world lovelier and  more fragrant, and blessed is the traveller who is able to see and comprehend its message. Therefore it follows that there is no friendly thought, however inarticulate, that does not carry with it a two-fold blessing.  These pretty posies I am sharing with you today have been gleaned from other men's gardens, for the simple pleasure of gathering, but also that they might be passed along to the friends in my garden.  May these "Friendly Thoughts" take wing and bring you not only a message of friendship, but also a small ray of happiness for today and always . . . 
 
  
 
"What is the secret of your life?  
Asked Mrs. Browning of Charles Kingsley: 
"Tell  me that I may make mine beautiful too."
 
He replied, "I had a friend."  
 
 
True friends, like ivy and the wall, 
both stand together, and together fall  . . .  
 
 
Of all the blessings Heaven doth send,
Of all the gifts that life doth lend,
Of all rewards the utmost end,
Of joys the esence and the blend . . . 
Here's to one who'll not pretend
But is, and stays the steadfast friend! 
 
  
 
He is my friend!  The words
brought Summer and the birds;
And all my Winter time
thawed ito running rhyme
and rippled into song,
Warm, tender, brave and strong.

And so it sings today  . . . 
So may it sing alway!
Let each mute measure end
with "Still he is my friend."
~James Whitcomb Riley

 
In hours of distress and misery, the eyes of every mortal man turn to friendship; in the hour of gladness and conviviality, what is our want? It is friendship. When the heart overflows with gratitude, or with any other sweet and sacred sentiment, what is the word to which it would give utterance? A friend.  
~Landor
 
   
 
The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather loved in spite of ourselves.  
~Victor Hugo 
 
 
Blessed are they who have the gift of m aking friends, for it is one of God's best gifts. It involves many things, but above all the power of going out of one's self, and appreciating what is noble and loving in another. 
 ~Thomas Hughes 
 
  
 
A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.  
~William Penn

 
He who has a thousand friends,
Has not a friend to spare,
And he who has one enemy
will meet him everywhere.
~Ali Ben Abu Taheb
 
 
  
 
Friendship above al ties does bind the heart,
and faith in friendship is the noblest part.
~Lord Orrery  
 
 
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult to others? 
 ~George Eliot 
 
  
 
I would be friend to all . . . the foe . . . the friendless,
I would be giving and forget the gift,
I would be humble, for I know my weakness,
I would look up . . .  and laugh . . . and love  . . . and lift!
~Howard A Walter 
 
 
The language of friendship is not words, but meanings.
It has an intelligence above language.
~Henry David Thoreau 
 
  
 
My friends have come unsought.
The great God gave them to me.
~Emerson 
 
 
God never loved me in so sweet a way before.
'Tis He along who can such blessings send.
And when His love would new expressions find,
He brought thee to me and He said . . . 
"Behold a friend."
 
  
 
Youth is the season of friendships, when we are rodigal with our affections, and thus it happens that of all those fonds so thoughtlessly formed, some endure. It is an instinct of the heart that provides a store for the winter.  
~Arthur S Hardy
 
  
 
People who have warm friends are healthier and happier than those who have none. A single real friend is a treasure worth more than gold or precious stones. Money can buy many things, good and evil. All the wealth of the world could not buy you a friend or pay you for the loss of one. 
 
 
Forsake not an old friend;
for the new is not comparable to him;
a new friend is as new wine;
when it is old thou shalt drink with pleasure.
~Proverbs 
 
  
 
A friend is a present you give yourself,
That's one of my old-time songs
So I put you down with the best of them
For you're where the best belongs. 
 
Among the gifts I have given to me
Most comforting tried and true,
The one that I oftenest think about
is my gift to myself of You.
~Carrie Jacobs Bond


  
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Baked Eggs.  These make a lovely light weeknight supper.  You can have them on the table in about 15 minutes at a stretch!  I like to bake some toast fingers alongside for dipping into those golden yolks.  Cheesy, simple and delicious! 
 
Have a fabulous Wednesday!  Don't forget along the way of your day! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
 

And I do too!  
 

 

10 comments:

  1. Such pretty pics to accompany your words:) Have a beautiful day.
    I am certain you are a wonderful friend to many and in return..have many:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very thanks very much Monique! Like our friend SB I collect thoughtful words and prose! She, however, has a talent for putting them together beautifully! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Marie!

    Behold, a friend!! I loved this post, so many beautiful photos to look at, and all the lovely quotes, just perfect!

    Thank you for being such a good friend, and I'm sure you have many!

    Love you to pieces...XOXOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of my friends are invisible Barb! I am really quite shy in real life. Love you to pieces also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. What a heart warming post today! Friends do mean so very much. A gift we give and a gift we get. To have a friend we must be a friend. The baked eggs look yummy. I'm will check out that recipe for sure ! Happy Wednesday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I think you will love the eggs. Such a simple supper and so adaptable to cooking for only one person! xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post of friends. I have have had many treasured friends through the years. You are indeed one of my favorite blogging friends. I have a deep desire to meet you someday.
    My friends do lighten my load and brighten my days.
    I have a few very close friends that have been like sisters to me. I didn't have a sister so they have taken the ache from my heart.
    Thanks for posting all these lovely thoughts and quotes.
    Sending loving thoughts, blessings and hugs your way! You are the best~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn! I have only had a very few really close friends. My sister and mom have aways been my closest and dearest friends. I really hope that we can meet in person one day. That would be a dream come true! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Dear Marie,
    I hadn’t checked my Google+ in a while. Today, since i am kind of laid up, I clicked on your post, and it brightened my day. I had my left knee replaced on this past Monday. I’m still having quite a bit of discomfort, but I’m praying it will get better day by day. I had my right knee replaced 3 years ago, and I don’t remember recovery being too difficult. Of course, that one was in January. Now I’m hoping to get out into the back yard, but I’m not quite ready. I loved the photos and quotations you shared. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this blog that seems to help so many - serving the Lord in yet another way.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn and congratulations on having your knee replaced. My friend Tina has had both hers done and it made the world of difference for her. I need both of mine replaced, but nobody is in any hurry to do it for me. Mind, I don't know how I would manage with the stairs in that case. I hope your recovery is quick and complete and that you are able to enjoy what the summer brings! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!