Saturday 6 November 2010

Walk gently . . .



Love often, laugh a lot, make gratitude your daily companion, take good care of yourself, catch people doing something right, and find something to bless in the mess.

~Loretta LaRoche

We had an electrician come over yesterday to put an electric point in our kitchen so that we can get an electric stove. Yes, I am finally calling it quits on our little gas cooker. Cute as it may be, it's just too darn small for me to get on with it. I am a real cook and I need a real stove . . . not this sweet lilliputian treasure. It would be perfect for anyone who mostly just reheats frozen dinners and such, but it's just not practical for anyone that really wants to cook . . . and to bake.



We are thinking to get a dual fuel hob . . . one with gas on the top and then an electric oven. I reckon that would be best. That's what I always used at work at the Manor and I really liked it. You can't beat gas on the hob for it's instantaneous heat, but I like the control you have with electric in an oven. This time though . . . I'm going to take my time and choose better and not just choose the first pretty little thing that catches my eye!

I am such an impulsive creature, and, more often than not, I live to regret my impulses!



My eyes and nose are streaming again. Yes, I have a full blown cold now. For weeks I have been battling first a chest infection and then an ear infection and just when I thought they were going to clear up, in pops Mr Cold. I try to think of him as a big blobby character . . . kind of like Mr Naughty, or Mr Nice, like in the children's books . . . as if that might somehow make it easier to bear, but it's just not working! I shall just have to ride it out in misery, and hopefully in a few days Mr Cold will take a hike and be replaced by Miss Feeling A Lot Better!

Todd's niece and her boyfriend are arriving from Essex today. It will be nice to see them. They're such a cute couple. Todd doesn't have a lot of family really. Just his brother, sister in law and their son and daughter. He also has an old Auntie as well, but she has alzheimers now and we only very rarely get to see her. I think it's really special that his niece thinks enough of him to want to travel the length and breadth of the country to come up and spend some time with us. It will be great!



The fireworks weren't too bad last night for Bonfire night. They were mostly over by about 9 pm, and Mitzie wasn't bothered at all by them, which shows us that she is pretty laid back and not a nervous dog at all. I am pleased for that. So many dogs go spastic when they hear fireworks, and have even been known to have heart attacks! Mitzie didn't take any notice of them at all.

I've really prattled on this morning . . . some mornings are like that I guess, but I will leave you now, with a final thought . . .

I have heard it said that the highest compliment an Australian Aboriginal can pay to someone who has passed on is to say, "They walked gently on this earth." By this they mean that the person did no damage to the world and treated it with respect. It's an example worth emulating, and not only in the physical world. Think of how many people we will have contact with throughout our lifetimes, how many lives and hearts we will touch . . . how better to do that than to "walk gently" through their lives . . .



Sometimes it’s quite fun to have something instead of just plain old mashed potatoes. You can make quite a few different kinds of mashes using sweet potatoes, squash and even beetroot. We like this one that uses celeriac.



*Celeriac and Potato Crush*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Celeriac has a lovely mild flavour that goes well with most things. It makes a lovely soup and goes beautifully in a gratin. Another way we like to eat it is in this delicious potato crush! Simple to do and oh, so very tasty!

1 ½ pounds floury potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
(use a Maris Piper, King Edward or Idaho potato)
¾ pound celeriac, peeled and chopped into one inch cubes
3 TBS milk
1 TBS double cream
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
2 TBS finely chopped fresh chives
(I use my kitchen scissors and just snip away!)

Put the potatoes and celeriac into a pan of lightly salted water and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer them for about 8 to 10 minutes until tender. Drain well in a colander and then return them to the pot.

Place them over the burner and give them a shake to really dry them out.

Lightly crush them along with the milk and cream. Try to leave them with some texture. You don’t want them too smooth. Stir in the chives and season them to taste with some sea salt that you have rubbed between your fingers and a dash of white pepper to taste.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, some lovely Maple and English Walnut Muffins!


7 comments:

  1. Have fun with your company Marie! And enjoy that new stove. I agree, you need proper cookware fit for a real cook! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are GREAT guidelines for living by Loretta LaRoche! But so sorry to hear you're still not feeling well, Marie... Do hope you will be on the mend soon. And hope you will feel OK for tomorrow--have a good time with family to visit, so lovely! I LOVE the idea of a gas hob and electric oven... that I would like too. :o) Enjoy your weekend, dear friend. Hope we get to chat soon... miss you. And LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon, Marie. Colds can be so miserable. Do you have medication called Cold-Eze over there? It works miracles and cuts the cold time in half as well as the intensity. But you have to catch it in the very early stages.

    Have you ever tried adding cooked carrots to your mash potatoes. So pretty and tasty!

    Enjoy your company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you're sick, Marie! No fun at all! Glad you were still able to enjoy the fireworks, though!

    Love your "crush"--looks so yummy!

    Hope your time with Todd's neice is wonderful--I know they'll be most warmly received by the such a wonderful hostess!

    Good luck finding the perfect stove!

    Loads of love sent to you today, dear friend...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post - as usual. Sorry to hear you have a cold - get better soon. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your new stove works well for you, Marie! I agree about the impulse decision making...I have been caught up in that from time to time too! It never seems to go right when I do that! Those muffins look so yummy! Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun to have family come to visit-hope you enjoy your time together! and i hope you start feeling better-colds stink! i've had a little bit of allergies lately and my eyes have been BUGGIN but a full blown cold is just terrible. get better soon my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!