Wednesday 5 December 2018

Thoughts on December . . .



I don't mind that the month of December opens the windows of the year to another wintertime . . . with it's wind and cold, rain, sleet, snow . . . December brings to me a spark of love and faith, for it heralds the Christmas Season, my favourite season of the year.

I am still a big child at heart, and there isn't anything about Christmas that I don't love. The decorations, the carols, the sights, the smells, the sounds . . . I find great joy and excitement in all these things. Living outside the actual city the way that I do, helps keep me close to the joy of yuletide, the real meaning of Christmas . . . and the hope and trust that come to one whose faith is based on the birth of the Christchild in Bethlehem. I am not really surrounded by all the commerciality of an urban centre and, if I didn't need to go into town for anything, I would not see any of it at all, especially if I chose not to turn on my television during this time of year.




In the corner of the livingroom stands our tree. I wish that it was a real one, with all it's evergreen smell, but it's an artificial one. I have it decorated from top to tail with gingerbread men . . . some I've made myself, and other's which I've bought through the years. there are also others which have been gifts from much beloved friends. Its' a tree filled with memories and love . . . and I feel really good sitting in my chair and gazing at it's branches laden with all my treasures, the colours of it's sparkling lights gleaming in the winter twilight.




Outside our house the hedgerow is ablaze with the red berries of the Holly, it's waxy green leaves shining and beckoning me to clip some, placing it throughout the house, adorning it with some medieval tradition that I know nothing about, but yearn to embrace. What would Christmas be without holly . . .



We don't have any snow. That is one thing I do miss at Christmas time. The countryside covered in a blanket of pristine white, shining like diamonds in the winter sun . . . glowing and sparkling when touched by the light of the stars high in the heavens. Back home, it most always snows on Christmas Eve . . . big, white, fluffy flakes falling softly down from the heavens like feathers, adding to the magic of that special night. But there is beauty anyways in the frozen ground over here and the frost that begins to gild the trees and hedgerows with their own special frosting on these colder winter mornings . . . 




Bells and carols spread love and joy and add to the true spirit of Christmastime. I have an extensive library of Christmas music, and I love to put it on during these December days and evenings . . . playing it low in the background, providing a wonderfully familial backdrop to all my December activities. As the winter birds visit the feeders outside my kitchen window, I hear this holy season of love in the songs that they sing. I believe that the Robin is prettiest at this time of year, it's rosy red little breast puffed up against the cold as it hops along our garden pathways seeking crumbs, it's beautiful song filling the cold crisp air . . . a most welcome garden visitor.




I need no other gifts as long as I have the love of family, my loving friendships, and all this beauty and song around me. I meditate and dream, of Christmas's gone past and present . . . the memories of Christmastime continue to point the way to the birth of our Saviour who promised eternal life for those who believe, and so I believe . . . this is the season of love.
 


Tina and Tony popped in the other afternoon with this beautiful Christmas Cake for us.  They do cakes every year for Tony's cousin and family and they made an extra one just for us.  I think it is gorgeous! Such a simple way to decorate it, but so pretty.  I am sure it is also very delicious!  I just have to keep Todd from digging into it early!  He loves fruit cake! 

I ended up not going to the Christmas party last night. I really don't like social situations very much.  I know that might seem a bit strange because I come across as being very outgoing on here, but really I am not.  I have people that I know well and I tend to gravitate towards them, especially in social situations.  By the end of the day I was also feeling very tired and not very sociable at all.  Zzzz . . . went to bed about 8:30, read for about half an hour, was falling asleep, so turned off the light, slept for half an hour and bang, I was dreaming something nasty and woke myself up crying for help. so then I read for another fifteen minutes or so, and then spent the rest of the night, dreaming and waking up, dreaming and waking up. 

Today I think I am going to clean the refrigerator and get it ready for Christmas.  Cleaning the fridge is not my favourite thing to do, but I always end up with  jars that only have bits of this and that in them, and they need to be tossed.  They take up so much room, room that is needed for other things.  Wish me luck! I am going to commandeer Todd to help me and I know he will be complaining about waste the whole time!  On second thought, I just might leave him out of the equation.  It will be more peaceful that way!

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
I think as you grow older,
your Christmas list 
gets smaller,
and the things you really 
want for the holidays 
can't be bought.   •。★★ 。* 


 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Bacon Ranch Chicken & Rice.  A delicious all in one pan supper.  I made a simple salad on the side.  

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!  Don't forget along the way of your day  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   




12 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, I love December too, it's so magical. I love the way a few fairy lights can transform anywhere from cold to cosy!

    I'm doing my fridge today too! I clean all my kitchen appliances inside and out once a month and go through the cupboard every three months to check on expiry dates. Just like you though I have to make sure that George is nowhere in sight, he goes mad when I throw food out! But sometimes you just can't use it all before the expiry date, that's my excuse anyway!

    Have a lovely Wednesday, hope you don't have to go out, the rain is torrential here. Lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had really lousy weather here today also with heavy rain and its been so dark Kate! I got the fridge done while Todd was out this morning. Much easier to do it when he's not around! lol Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh no need to apologize about staying home from a social activity ,,you have met your match and this has been for years:) I like intimate and small..no perfunctory social gatherings.
    Yawn.idle chit chat..nope no thanks..Take me home;)
    Love your tree and fireplace..cozy cozy..
    We have some snowand it's gently snowing now..but grey..Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I am not alone in this Monique! Its nice to know that there are others who feel the same! I am just not a social butterfly, preferring more intimate gatherings! I bet the snow is just beautiul! I wish I could see it! xoxo

      Delete
  3. All the decorations and Joys of Christmas help to make winter a happy time, but when January, February and March roll round, winter gets to be a challenge for me. Long nights, short days and freezing cold are something I could do without but since I live where I do, winter seems to last much too long. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. I looked at that chicken and rice recipe and it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, January and February can be a big challenge for sure. That's when I really try to get stuck into needlework and crafts that help to pass the time! Thanks! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. What lovely friends to make you such a beautiful cake!! You do have some awesome friends, Marie...and why would you need this huge social thing, when you can be more intimate in much smaller groups...besides there are likely quite a few kindred spirits who chat online anyway you know...I am not fond at all of large gatherings!! But you would not know that either if all you knew of me was what I share online eh? Hope you can sleep better...I know how icky bad dreams are...but maybe they are necessary for our minds to sort things out, even though mine usually make no sense whatever.
    Hugs...Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I hate bad dreams, because I always wake up feeling like I haven't slept at all! I was back working at the Manor again all last night! grrr . . . xoxo

      Delete
    2. OH mercy, Marie...no wonder you did not sleep well!! Hah...wish we could make some sense of them, then maybe they would leave us. Hope you are resting tonight!!
      Elizabeth xoxo

      Delete
    3. I am not sure why I keep dreaming about that, but I think it has a lot to do with the way the boss treated me the last few years I was there! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~

    Sometimes after reading your post, I think maybe I shouldn't even comment...your words are so beautiful and your writing so eloquent! I love to just hang on every word! Your part of the world sounds so beautiful, all frosted white and sparkly. I love Holly, and have only seen it growing in the wild on the west coast. I think it's too cold here. But you are right, Christmas just would not be the same without it.

    Your tree is adorable, I love the decorations! I don't think there is anything more beautiful than a Christmas tree, all decked out in lights. Your fireplace mantle is so pretty too, and I love the scripture you have on it, it's one of my favorite.

    Today, I bought everything I need to make fruit cake, I can hardly wait! I don't think mine will look as pretty as the one you were gifted, but I'm sure it will be delicious.

    I'm not very social either, I love being with people I'm comfortable with, but tend to get antsy when I am with those I don't know very well. It all works out in the end. I'm so sorry you had terrible dreams, you will be in my prayers.

    I cleaned my fridge last week! Bob always grumbles about waste too!! I usually clean it when he's not home, or busy doing something else. I love to just clean every nook and cranny of the fridge...so satisfying!

    Enjoy your day sweet friend!! Love you!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love the feeling of accomplishment I have after I have given something a good cleaning Barb! Love you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!