Saturday 28 April 2018

It about crows . . .



We had a lot of bread that needed getting rid of yesterday, well, not a lot, but some, and so Todd had put it out on the picnic table on the patio temporarily before moving it elsewhere and a big crow flew down and picked it up and flew off with it.  It sat on the roof of the shed first for quite a while, looking all over and watching the sparrows pick at it before it finally swooped down and grabbed it.  I have always been fascinated by crows.  They are really intelligent birds and you can easily tame them and I have also heard that you can teach them to talk.  When I was a girl there was a lad in the area who had two tamed crows and they used to chase me when I was riding my bicycle, swooping down on my and terrorizing me.  I am sure they thought it was a really fun game.  Not to me however.

They are quite sociable birds.   Did you know that they mate for life?  Tis true.  They also often live in small family groups and the older siblings will often help out their parents with the new chicks by bringing food to mom and dad, or even sometimes bringing food to the chicks.

  

Did you know a group of crows is called a "Murder?" 

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
Never to be told.
Eight for a wish,
Nine for a kiss,
Ten for a bird,
You must not miss 

My mother often recited this when I was a child.  If she saw only one crow, she would eagerly scan the skies for another, seeing only one crow as being a dreadful omen . . . I find myself often doing the same.  Old habits die hard  . . . 


When one crow dies, they often get together, seemingly to throw a funeral of sorts. The sight of a dead crow appears to attract mobs of sometimes a hundred or more live crows. You won't see any of them touching the dead crow, which kind of rules out scavenging as a motive, but it is an interesting thing to witness.  There is a theory that they are congregating together like this as a part of a mass survival lesson, learning about threats.  They are often hesitant to revist a spot where one has died.  (I don't know who finds out these things!)  

Proportionately, the brains of some crows are even larger than ours, earning them the nickname "Feathered Apes" by some zoologists. They are smart and good at improvising. Their brain is huge, accounting for some 2.7 % of their overall weight, whereas the human brain only accounts for 1.9 percent of our weight.  The term birdbrain does not apply to crows.



You don't want a crow for an enemy. Apparently they can recognize your face, and hold a grudge. In 2011, a team from the University of Washington published a remarkable study about the brainpower of local crows. The researchers' goal was to figure out how well the birds could identify human faces. So, in the name of science of course, they went out and bought two Halloween masks. One resembled a caveman, the other looked like Dick Cheney. It was decided that the caveman getup would be used to threaten the birds, while the Cheney mask was relegated to control status.

At the five sites, a scientist donned the caveman mask before catching and banding some wild crows. Getting trapped is never a fun experience, and upon their release, the ex-captives loudly "scolded" their assailant with a threatening caw. Seeing this, other birds who had been sitting nearby joined in the fray, swooping down to harass the neanderthalic visitor. Over a period of several years, both masks were regularly worn by team members on strolls through all five test spots. Without fail, the caveman mask was greeted by angry scolds and dive-bomb attacks from crows, including many who'd never been captured or banded, while the birds largely ignored the Dick Cheney mask.

Amazingly, the caveman disguise continued to provoke a hostile response five years into the experiment, even though the team had stopped trapping crows after those first few site visits. And some of the birds who antagonized the mask-wearer weren't even alive back when the whole thing started. The younger crows couldn't possibly have seen the imitation caveman grab an acquaintance of theirs, but they scolded it anyway. Clearly, the grudge had been passed on, Birds were still attacking the mask as recently as 2013.

Moral of the story?  Don't mess with a crow. They won't forget.
AND, they'll tell all their friends. 


They tend to congregate "en masse" and chant at the end of a day.  I noticed this back home when I was living there back in the 1980's.  There was  a brook not far from where I lived, and around dusk every day the trees would be filled with crows, all talking and mumuring together. This happened day after day after day.  I have also read that crows have variable dialects or languages depending on where they are from.  Not sure how true that is, but it is a fascinating idea for sure. 


They have resident Ravens (a member of the crow family) at the Tower of London that every visitor is quite used to seeing around the grounds. I think they even have names. It is not known when the ravens first came to the Tower of London, but their presence there is surrounded by myth and legend. Unusually for birds of ill omen, the future of both Country and Kingdom relies upon their continued residence, for according to legend, at least six ravens must remain lest both Tower and Monarchy fall. I think they have a breeding and conservation program at the tower now as well.  I have also heard that they clip their feathers so that they can't leave, which I am not sure is a true fact or not, but if true would certainly tell you how supertitious their presence at the Tower really is!!

Its quite chilly here this morning.  I have put the heat on because I was freezing. Brrrr . . . I guess Winter's not quite ready to totally loosen her grip from us just yet!  Our pear tree is covered with loads of blossoms, but not the plum nor apple. Looks like we won't get much from them again this year.  We've tried everything, but with those it appears to be hit and miss, and mostly miss!!

I've been trying hard to get in as many Grey's Anatomy episodes before the end of April, which is when Prime is taking it off their "free" programs. I guess nothing good lasts forever.  I am part of the way into the fifth season.  I could sit and binge watch them for hours, crocheting while I do, but Todd balks at the thought so I can't watch as many as I would like.  Fair enough. He is really quite generous with our viewing habits.  Fact, he is watching Gilmore Girls with me for about the fourth time now.  LOL  Yes, he is a very amenable man! I cannot complain! 


Another program we have really gotten into is "Unforgotten" on Netflix.  It's compelling, and last night we started watching the new documentary on there about Robert Kennedy.


Look at what I made yesterday.  Its a paper butterfly bunting. 


I ordered some yarn to make a baby blanket for Ariana and Jose. I am going to do the same as the others I have made, but using these colours (for a girl) plus white.  I quite like them!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day!

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
If they say that it's "impossible,"remember that its "impossible" for them,
not for you. ~Unknown  •。★★ 。* 。 

Spiritual Enlightenment 

 

In the kitchen this morning . . . Magic Pie.  Served with fresh fruit and clotted cream.  Delicious!

Have a wonderful Saturday!  Be sure not to annoy any crows and don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 


8 comments:

  1. I missed the first 2 epis of Season 1 of Unforgotten..watched the last one so I have catch up to do on the 2 previous epis.It's good..Season 12 starts May 13 th on PBS here..
    WE really like Line Of Duty..starting season 4..Seasn 3 was FAB.Pins and needles ending.
    I love British shows.
    And French ones.
    CRows? Not a fan:) Noisy noisy noisy..
    Bon Samedi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Line of Duty is great Monique! They are very addictive. We need to watch them again. Quality television! I think British tv is great, but then again, I am a tad bit biased! lol xoxo

      Delete
  2. All your info on Crows is quite interesting and that very first picture in your post is amazing! We've warmed up some, but today is rainy and cooler. I love the butterfly bunting. It's quite cheerful! Have a super Saturday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I had fun making the bunting. I think Bunting is a great way to dress up a mantle! Hope your Sunday is blessed! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~

    Crows are kind of creepy...but they are smart! I can't tell the difference between Crows and Ravens. I think that Ravens are bigger, but they are both smart and kind of creepy. I don't see many crows around my place, but we do have lots of Magpies! They are like little gangs, hopping around and getting into mischief...little sneakers! The poem your mom used to tell you is cute, isn't it funny the folk lore that we still believe?!

    Your bunting is adorable, very Springy! It looks cute with your little angels.

    I finally got started on my baby blanket...I hope it turns out, it has taken me a long time to decide what to do. I'm making a cute stitch that I found on, The Patchwork Heart, the stitches look like little hearts, it's really sweet.

    Your pie looks delicious! I made cookies tonight for my primary class, because they are always starving when they get to my there!

    Off to bed! Have a wonderful Sunday, sweet friend... XOXOX

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are kind of creepy for sure Barb. Crows, Ravens and Magpies are all from the same family. Very smart birds. They even make their own tools! You have a very lucky Primary class and I am sure you are a great teacher! God bless and happy Sunday to you also! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. Thanks sweet friend, I loved reading about crows. I am fascinated by birds and nature in general. Actually some of the behavior of Crows remind me of some of our human behavior. I birds care for one another and watch over each other too. We have ducks and geese across the street that are fun to watch. I love learning about the different ones.
    I am a nurse by profession and I think it is strange that I have never enjoyed medical shows. Maybe, it brings back stressful thoughts. I was an intensive care nurse and then later a hospice one.
    We might watch Unforgotten and see how we like that one.
    I love what you made and your yarn for the baby blankets is beautiful.
    Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps because you are a Nurse, you know all of the particulars of medical stuff and the irregularities which undoubtedly exist in these types of shows bother you? I know Ariana cannot stand Grey's Anatomy because she is a nurse and she says that nurses do all the work, with consultants only coming in at the end. It bugs her. I think you will really like Forgotten!! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!