Sunday 1 April 2018

Happy Easter!


Happy Easter! Along with Christmas, Easter is one of my favourite holidays of the year.  I enjoyed it as a child and I do as an adult, but of course for many different reasons, and all of them having to do with the religious significance of the occasion.  I'm a believer, and proud of it, and to those of us who believe, this is a holiday of great significance.  I do enjoy also, all of the Easter Bunnies and Eggs, the Easter Baskets, etc. but even more so I love knowing that the Tomb is open and empty and that HE lives and because of that so can we.  Its a simple thing really, but it is everything to me.  So Happy Easter! 


They say you learn something new every day.  I've been thinking about that lately, and its true.  You do learn something new every day, and if you don't then you're not really paying attention.  Sometimes you learn things of great significance, and others its just something small, but there is always something.  For instance here are a few things I learned yesterday . . . 

  

DGL 
deglycyrrhizinated licorice

Someone recommended this to me.  My friend Laurie from Canada, so I did a search.  At first I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up on google (one of my best friends). I read all about it and I remembered how much better I had felt after drinking the Licorace and Peppermint tea the day before and so I looked at the Holland & Barrett page online and saw it on there and when Todd went into town in the morning to pay one of our bills, he picked up some for me.  It wasn't cheap, but these kinds of things never are, and if it works its worth the cost. I have read all up on it and I tried it yesterday, taking two tablets, each about half an hour before eating and it helped me a great deal.  Almost no acid reflux at all.  I do have high blood pressure however, and am on medication for that, so this is not a long term solution, but if it can help me to get things back to normal, along with some dietary changes, then I am happy.


Almond milk and Quaker Oats (the microwave kind) don't work well together.  I have had oatmeal for supper the past two nights.  Last night I tried making it with almond milk, and I had soup.  It literally didn't thicken up.  I had to add a lot of extra oats to it to make it the right consistency.  So I guess the answer is to use water?  or to use half the amount of almond milk that you would use milk?  I will need to experiment. 

  

Yesterday I learned the truth of this principle, and it is not something I didn't already know, but yesterday it got hammered home to me within the very first minutes of the very first talk.  The talk was given by Elder Brian K Taylor, a General Authority Seventy, entitled  "Am I a Child of God?" 

He quoted Elder Boyd K. Packer in saying, “'The pedigree of your spirit can be written on a single line. You are a child of God!'" and then he went on to describe how Satan works hard to get God's children to question their Divine heritage, or to see themselves as somehow not being enough. 

“When you feel hurt, lost, scared, upset, sad, hungry, or hopelessly abandoned in ‘life’s extremities,' open the Book of Mormon, and you will come to know 'God will never desert us, He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not His character to do so.” 

And it didn't stop there, with all of the subsequent talks in the morning session, something which I had been struggling with was addressed again and again, and I came away from it feeling much better about things. 

From Elder Lynn G. Robbins - "No-one is more on our side than the Saviour. He allows us to keep retaking His exams.  To err is part of human nature and millions of "second chances" are required through the mercy of the Saviour. The Savior paid an infinite price to give us as many chances as it would take to successfully pass our mortal probation.  He doesn't leave us without hope."  

I have spent a lot of time over the past 20 years allowing other people to make me feel guilty or somehow lacking, as less than what I really am, because of their perception of things that did or didn't happen. I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father, a child of God, and I am much, much more than the worst thing I have ever done.  You don't get to throw away all of the good that I am because of one mistake. We all make mistakes. None of us is perfect nor are we expected to be. 

I knew this, but hearing these talks really was an answer to some of my questions and struggles. 

I can't wait to watch and listen to the rest of the sessions!  


Later in the evening, I got out my photo album and I was looking at the photos in it. These were taken the day of my ex husband's wedding, later in the day afterwards.  The kids all came over to my mum's where I was living by then, and we made pizza's.  The only one that didn't make it was Douglas, and that was only because he was leaving for Uni and his Uncle was driving him, and wanted to leave right after the wedding, or he would have been there also.  Nobody looks unhappy in these. I remember us having a great time.




And then there are these ones . . . two of them are on one of my days with my two youngest sons before I moved over here. I had taken them to Clements Park, and in one my baby Bruce is checking my oil when we stopped for gas. They look happy. The other one was taken at my mom's on the day before I moved over here.  Eileen and Bruce are kissing me. There are others of that day also, and nobody looks terribly unhappy.  Then there is the one of Doug, Eileen and Bruce, taken two summers after I moved over here when I was able to go home for a surprise visit.  Again, nobody looks unhappy.  And I have quite a few  more, these are just a few.   I am pretty grateful for them.


And I started on my Orla Keily Blanket as inspired by Amanda Hurrell from Eight by Six.  She flips her blanket after each round, which is something I had never done before, I've always just kept crocheting around in the same direction, with each subsequent row.  It does look neater to flip it. Something else new that I learned!  


Also, I've been peeling bananas wrong all these years, or at least beginning at the wrong end.  You really need to begin at the bottom end not the top. So much easier. 


So Happy Easter!  I wish you all the best! 

 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Melting Moments, the cookies that really do melt in your mouth. 

Have a great Sabbath!  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

 
And I do too! 


 


6 comments:

  1. So true we learn something new every day. I know I do! Hope you have a Blessed and Happy Easter Day ! Yes we are all loved and we are all children of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a lovely and blessed Easter Pam! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Marie~

    HAPPY EASTER!

    Conferece was wonderful! I loved all of the cousel that we received, and could definitely feel the Spirit throughout the day...just a wonderful day!

    I think we are so much harder on ourselves than we should be...we are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us, and wants us to have His richest blessings. That messages really did come through in every talk. I'm looking forward to today's sessions! My family will come for dinner, but not until after 4:00... ;0)

    I'm so glad that you have found some relief, I will have to check out that supplement. I would rather take something natural, rather than a prescription.

    Oh, Marie, I can see the love that you have for your children...and I can see the love they have for you! I love that those moments were captured for you to have forever!

    I love the colors you've chosen for your blanket! And who knew about the flipping!? It makes sense!

    Enjoy conference today!! And remember how much you mean to so many who love you, sweet friend!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a lovely time with your family Barb! Love and hugs to you. You are special to me also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I just found out almond milk and pudding doesn't thicken up..no matter what you do or how hard you try! So it became soup also. Lol.

    My daughter wore the dress today that I wore when she was 3 or 4 yrs old. Now the twins are already claiming it when they get older. Lol.

    Yummy cookies as usual Marie!

    My Dad has to go to the hospital tomorrow to find out if he got an infection in his hands..praying all goes well. So I have to get up early to Mom sit. She wanted me to sleep on the couch..couldn't I have my dog. I won't bring him over their again..he almost bit his sister..she ran upstairs fast. Good thing she has longer legs. That was scary!

    I believe that some day all your kids will be in contact with you Marie. Remember good things come to those who wait!
    Hope you had a great Easter!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess as a milk substitute we can count Almond milk as a big failure on that score Jan! How wonderful that your daughter is able to wear that dress, and you have twins? Wow, I never knew. You really are an amazing woman Jan! I will be keeping your dad in my prayers. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!