Thursday 7 September 2017

My favourite things . . .

 

These are a few of my favourite things. Maybe some of them are your favourite things too! 

(source)  

Swedish Huck Embroidery.  I once did a beautiful table runner in white and blue with hearts along the edges.  It disappeared.  Don't know what happened to it.  You need a special kind of fabric called huckaback to do it and you weave embroidery thread into the squares in certain patterns.  Its beautiful both on the top and the bottom. I should try to find some of the fabric and do another one.  Its the type of mindless thing that is very soothing.


Vintage Recipes, especially ones from ads for products like this one.  I have lots of ones like this clipped from magazines through the years in my binder. Most of them are very good, if not all. 


The clothes that the Duchesse of Cambridge wears. I love them. I love looking at them.  She is so stylish. I am thinking of starting an art journal with only things that she wears in it. It might be the impetus I need to get back painting again  . . . 

  

I adore Pretzels.  Any shape, any size, any how.  I love them.  When I was a child I used to love to have a stick pretzel and a glass of coolaid and I would suck the coolaid up through the pretzel like it was a straw. Seriously tasty.  When I was in Idaho, in Ketchum, I bought a rod pretzel in a shop that was absolutely gorgeous.  So tasty. It had been dipped in caramel and then chocolate and had all kinds of toasted nuts etc. stuck into the chocolate.  It was soooooo good.  So good that I have thought about it ever since. You cannot get pretzel rods over here. More's the pity.  Probably a good thing though. I'd be in trouble if you could! 



Spiral Ham.  I miss spiral ham.  I miss ham with a bone in it.  I miss real ham that you can buy and roast that isn't pork pieces, etc. jammed together to look like ham. Any real ham like that over here is sold already sliced.  You can get plenty of gammon to roast . . .  but I would love a real ham to roast.  One day  . . . 


The artwork of Iwona Lifsches.  I love it. It makes me smile.  So bright and colourful. I think its gorgeous. 


Vintage Greeting Cards of any kind, but especially ones with smiling flowers.  They make my heart smile too. 

  

Historical novels.  I adore them. I really do.  I especially like Victorian era ones. I know that unless you were rich that was a horrible time to live, but I am fascinated by it.  


I love buttons, but I especially adore white buttons, and pearlized buttons.  I can't bring myself to part with any that I have   . . . I hoard them.  I am so naughty when it comes to things like this.  I'd only part with them if Jesus told me to. My house in heaven is going to have lots of these, I hope . . .  and chocolate . . . good milk chocolate . . .  and potato chips . . . and Todd.

 
(source)

Plain Scones with cream and jam, and I don't care which you put on first, the cream or the jam, just so long as both are there.  Especially homemade scones.  Not those horrid store made ones that taste of nothing but baking powder or baking soda.  Blecch. Clotted cream is really nice and a little bit goes a very long way. 


Everything autumn.  The changing colours of the leaves.  The cooling temperatures. The smell of woodfires and rotting leaf. The tastes . . . pumpkin, apples, etc.  The sounds . . .  skittering leaves, kids back at school on the playground playing, etc.  I just love autumn!!


Lemon . . .  anything.  Cookies. Pies. Drinks. Muffins. Squares. Savoury dishes  . . . mmmm . . . Chinese Lemon Chicken.  Adore it.


Children's cereal.   I love Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks and Captain Crunch. Mmm . . .  Lucky Charms.  I even like them mixed together. I know they are naughty.  I just can't help it.  I like em.  Thankfully most of those aren't available over here in the UK.  Keeps me out of trouble.  Having said that however, I prefer North American Cheerios over British Cheerios because they are not as sweet as the British ones.  Why does Britian sweeten their cheerios?  The North American ones also taste oatier.  I miss Cheerios most of all.  They are my favourite cereal. 


Crows. Fascinating birds and very intelligent. Monogamous.  Loyal to their murders and mates. (A murder is a flock of crows.)  I love how they gather together in a group at sundown and chant.  I just find them very interesting. 

  

The Union Jack.  I think it is the most beautiful flag, followed closely by the Stars and the Stripes.  I guess I like red, white and blue flags. The Union Jack has a wonderful symmetry and is a very reverrent tribute to three patron Saints.  Saint Patrick of Ireland.  Saint George of England.  And Saint Andrew of Scotland.  My favourite colour combinations have always been red and white and blue and white and it has all three, red, white and blue.  It is my favourite flag full stop.

And those are some of my favourite things for this week.  

 

Today is Todd's Birthday.  He is 79 years young.  He will be spending it
having the car serviced, but after that I will be 
treating to his favourite meal and other 
goodies!

It is also the 17th anniversary of our meeting in person.  Yes, I WAS the best
Birthday present he ever received! haha

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°If you want to get warm,
you must stand near the fire.
If you want to get wet,
you must go into the water.
If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life,
you must get close to, or even into
the thing that has them.
~C.S. Lewis   •。★★ 。* 。


 
 
I did a taste test this week and free range organic cornfed chicken won.  Perfectly Baked Chicken Breasts. 

Have a great Thursday, may it be filled with some of your favourite things!  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too! 

 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Marie. Love all your favourite things today, especially the scones with jam and clotted cream, unfortunately!!

    Have you seen the new film advertised thats coming out soon Victoria and Abdul? It stars Judi Dench as Victoria, it looks really good.

    I love our flag too. I wish we used it more. I love it when you go to other countries and everyone flies a flag in their garden or where they work. You can go for years before you see one here!

    Happy birthday Todd, have a fabulous day. You too Marie. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My words today would have been a most identical to the ones that Kate has said above ! I recon most if not all of your followers are very like each other, we have the same outlook on life, .....please give Todd my love and an extra wee hug for his birthday directly from me XXX
    ..
    My mum used to tell me the story about the crows , every morning you see them take of at roughly the same time, cawing away, they are on their way to school..often next time you,see them they are sitting in a row on the telephone wires...at school....next time they are coming home caw caw cawing ...telling mum about their day at school!!!...I believed every word and to this day I often look up and say to Mary...that's the crows coming back from school......she of course with no imagination, shakes her head at me as if I'm daft !!!!
    Hope your knee is a wee bitty better today, don't think,it can get much worse can it. We know we would both be better if we had less weight to carry around but not being able to do much, if any exercise its double hard...Mary keeps saying to me you might loose weight if you ate more ! But I'm just not interested in food very much. I do love sun dried mango and maybe I should stop nibbling it night., that's me fatal time between 7.30 - 10 .......now what am I away to do ??? Eat a few pieces of dried mango ....bye for now, much love to you and Todd on this his birthday xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very Happy Happy Birthday to Todd. I am always amazed at all the things you do not have there. Makes me feel like we are living in the land of plenty. We do have a lot of variety to choose from here. I am blessed and forget that not every one has what I do and there are a lot that have more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Todd! I'm shouting it! Lol.

    I never heard of a funny cake b4.
    I've been eating pretzels and corn chips lately bc that's what has been on sale. The pretzels aren't that salty. If u made ur own pretzels u could control the salt. Today I got Doritos cool ranch. I haven't bought these in along time. I'm sick of tortilla chips.

    I love ham too. You can make so many different things with it. I thought everybody had it in their supermarket. It's more expensive til it goes on sale for the holidays, then I buy some to freeze.

    You guys have some cool things we don't have too. It's interesting to see what's different.

    I always loved the colors red, wte and blue. I have one room with just those colors.

    Lucky Charms is one of my favorite. I also love special k and life cereal.

    Chinese lemon chicken sounds intriguing! I love lemon bread and lemon meringue pie! Yum!

    Now I'm hungry so I'm going to eat a yogurt. I give my dog the lid on it and he loves it.

    I heard on the radio that we are going to have a thunderstorm soon!

    Love and big hugs to you and ur Todd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed reading your favorite things today. The Duchess of Cambridge is just plain beautiful! and I love her style, too. Back in the 60's I followed Jackie Kennedy in the same way and still have a scrap book I made of her life. She, too, was a trend setter and had a beautiful style.

    I'm a pretzel lover (my dad loved pretzels and ice cream together) and the selection of cereal here in the US is staggering! So many choices. I prefer more whole grain cereals now, but I like snacking on the sugary ones like fruit loops or Lucky Charms. ;) ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!