Thursday 28 September 2017

My favourite things . . .

 
 
These are a few of my favourite things. Maybe some of them are yours too! 
 
 
I love fountain pens. I got my first one when I was about nine or ten years old.  I had saved up for one and bought it at the Rexall Drugs Store in downtown Gimli, Manitoba when we were living there. I remember I also bought a little bottle of turquoise ink.  The pen was orange and had a little bladder inside.  You dipped the nib into the ink bottle and squeezed the bladder to fill it.  I loved that pen. A couple of years ago I bought myself a fountain pen with my birthday money. It is a Parker Pen and was not cheap.  I have never been able to get it to work properly.  I cannot get the ink to flow down into the nib.  I guess I bought a dud. It is under warranty, but I can't find the receipt. That is me to a "T".  Not being able to find the receipt.  I need to get a better filing system.

 
I have found a new hair fetish.  I don't know what colour it is, but I am in love with it.  It is a type of brown, but with an almost pink tint here and there.  I love, LOVE it.  I know I have been talking about colouring my hair for a while now.  But  . . .  its a HUGE step.  I don't know  . . . 
 
 

I love potatoes, but I ADORE Pasta.  Any shape, with or without sauce.  Just plain buttered with salt and pepper, with a fresh tomato sauce, or a creamy sauce.  I adore pasta.  If I was to be presented with two bowls . . . one filled with buttered and seasoned boiled new potatoes and the other with buttered and seasoned pasta I would be hard pressed to make up my mind which one I would choose.  I think the pasta would win with a slight edge over the potatoes.  But my heart would want both.

 
I love anything that sparkles.  I am just like a crow. If it glitters I will be instantly attracted to it.  Diamonds, crystals, glitter, sequins . . .  I love them all. I was fascinated when we got to go to theSwaroski Museum/shop in Austria a few years back.  It was amazing . . . 

 
It was inside this mound  . . .  you went into it and it was filled with  one after the other exhibitions, all done in crystal . . . 
 
  
 
It was totally amazing.  I was mesmerised.  Of course it ended in their shop where you could buy their crystals.   I got some crystal tipped pencils.  I don't have one as they were gifts for other people.  if you are ever in the Austrian Tirol you need to visit it! 
 
 
Stained Glass.  I love Stained glass and would love to have a window panel in my home.  I saw one once that was put into a kind of frame with chains and hanging hooks, which enabled you to hang it from the top of your window frame . . .  oh how I would love something like that.  I am afraid I would sit and look at it all day.  I once looked into learning how to do stained glass, but it is a very expensive hobby.  The tools you need cost a lot and then there is the glass.  It is also very expensive.  I was destined to only admire it, but not create it.  If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy myself a panel to hang.

 
Old church home conversions. I love it when I see an old church which has been converted into a home, or an old brick school house made into a home . . . 
 
  
 
I think the interiors, if done right, are simply stunning . . .  there is that stained glass window thing of course  . . .  but the wood, gallery ceilings, etc.  All are so beautiful.  I don't find them creepy at all.  I also like barn conversions.  
 
 
It is sad of course that these buildings are no longer viable as churches, but I think its great that people are making homes out of them instead of pulling them down. 
 
 
 
 Luxurious makeup brushes.  Yes, I am a bit vain about makeup.  I put on my face every day, which is weird because I spent most of my life, right up to my 40's not wearing any makeup at all.  I wouldn't dream of going out of my house now without any.  I moisturise and use a good foundation.  Always L'Oreal.  Blush, eye liner, eyebrow pencil, mascara . . . just a simple routine.  Occasionally I have a no-makeup day where I only use moisturiser, but that is only when I am not going anywhere at all and I don't expect anyone to visit. 
 
  
I mostly read novels on my kindle now, and in bed but I do love the richness of a real book. The weight of it in your hands . . .  the smell of the paper . . . there is something about a real book that is really special.  I often see artists who use old books in their work, but to me I could not do that.  It would seem almost sacrilegious to destroy a book.  I could not do it I don't think . . . 
 
And when I am cooking from a book, I want it to be
a real one, not a digital one
that's just me.

 
I know most people store their photos online nowadays, but I love photo albums.  I love sitting down and going through them and seeing all the photographs, remembering good times, thinking about loved ones.  I think photo albums are special in a way that online albums will never be.  Plus, although they can be destroyed by water, light, or fire, they can't really disappear like online photo albums can. 
 
 
I have always loved playing the Sims.  I haven't played it for a long time now but have recently wanted to get back into it.  I would need to buy a newer version however as the one I have, I don't think would work on my laptop.  I really enjoyed it however.  I do play Township on my iPad and am on level 60 or so, but it is mostly just growing stuff and producing goods, shipping them off on trains and planes.  I want something a bit more challenging.  I am not one much for word games these days, although I do play scrabble and enjoy that.    I don't like war type of games either.  I don't like games that are too challenging, but I do want to be a bit challenged if that makes sense.
 
  
 
I like the GBBO.  Not sure I am entirely fond of the new lineup of hosts, cohosts etc.  I much preferred the old one, but they don't really make the show anyways.  The show is really about the bakers. I love watching them work and seeing how it turns out. People are always saying to me "You should go on the GBBO".  No thanks.  I am  a fairly decent baker, but I don't enjoy faffing about.  I am not into creating amazing bread sculptures or cakes, etc.  I simply enjoy baking nice cookies, cakes, pies, scones, etc. that don't require a lot of work but that taste amazing. I do like to watch others faffing about however and while I do I count my blessing that I will never have that stress!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the other day . . .  I love those too . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, 
and He shall direct your paths.
~Proverbs 3: 5-6  •。★★ 。* 。

Another of my favourite things  . . .  Proverbs. I love the Psalms also.
 

 
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  pasta with a Fresh Tomato, Garlic & Olive Sauce.  Quite simply delicious.

Have a wonderful Thursday. Hope its filled with some of your favourite things.  Don't forget along the way . . . 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too! 
 
 
 

 
 

3 comments:

  1. My goodness I got in first time today again.....like you I love ink nib pens but I can't remember when I last wrote an actual letter with either of the two I have !..potatoes I think would win between pasta and. Potatos........another subject altogether, please Marie could you get my friend Christine's name on you church prayer list Lura suggested I ask you Christine Night has cancer and although they are going to try to do some chemo it is I think just an outside chance it will clear the bladder cancer..it has already spread..if they can get it slowed down the can just remove the bladder there is a much bigger op in the pipeline as well. Thank you...must go as I have the cafe in ten minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started covering the gray in my hair when in my 30's and continued till I hit 50 then got tired of all the fuss. I've enjoyed every silver thread of hair since. I like things simple and when it comes to make up I'm the same way. A little moisturizer and powder and lipstick make me feel complete. Keep it simple and make it fun is my motto. I do like sparkle though and try to incorporate into my life as often as possible. Hope you have a happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will put her name into the Temple today Sybil! I hope that you have had a successful coffee hour! Not many reading these days dear friend. I think they are enjoying the last of the summer weather! xoxo

    I haven't coloured my hair now in about 20 years Pam. I am torn between wanting to and not wanting to. It is such a pain when you do as it has to be kept up and I am not sure I want to be a keeper upper! Happy Thursday to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!