Monday 25 September 2017

Small and Wonderful things . . .

 
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


Listening to the dawn chorus as I type.  It actually starts before the sun begins to rise.  When I get up it has already begun . . .  a few notes here and there as if the birds are tuning their instruments . . .  by the time the sun has begun to show its light in the early morning sky all the instruments are tuned and they are serenading me with a rhapsody of heavenly proportions.  It is just beautiful. I never tire of it.  Never.

  

Being able to renew my Baptismal Covenants each week as I partake of the Sacrament and ponder the Saviour during its blessing and passing. The promised blessing of the sacrament is that "We will always have His spirit to be with us."  I love that.  I love knowing that His spirit can always be with me. I love the Saviour with all of my heart and then some.  It is very difficult for me to put into words exactly how I feel about Him and about all that He did for us. It is overwhelming and humbling.  That I can physically participate in this simple act of partaking of the sacrament each week as a symbol of my remembrance of Him and my desire to be like Him and follow Him, is a very special thing to me. If for some reason I miss church, I always feel a bit bereft . . . 


Being asked to give, and giving . . .  the closing prayer at any meeting is a special priviledge and something which brings extra blessings into my life. When I first joined the church I used to worry about being asked and dread giving any kind of prayer publically . . .  just shy I guess.  As I have grown in the Gospel I have come to realise that it is an opportunity to do something really special and to share something really special.  I was asked yesterday to give the closing prayer at the end of Relief Society and I said I would love to say it, and I meant it.  Knowing I am giving the closing prayer means that I pay extra close attention to the lesson which is being given and don't allow myself to become distracted by every day thoughts that might cloud my mind or other things that might be going on in the room.  A lesson in which I have been asked to give the closing prayer for is always one that I will remember well. It is an opportunity for me to give an audible personal thanks to those who have taught me and to my Heavenly Father, and an opportunity for me to be able to ask a blessing for those who could not be there.  Oh, I can do those things anyways I know, and I do . . .  but to be asked to do so publically every now and then is a special thing for me, and no longer fills me with fear or embarassment.

 

Over the past month Todd and I have been re-listening to some of the conference talks from the last General Conference in preparation for the bi-annual Conference which is coming up this weekend on Saturday and Sunday.  As we were have listened we have been inspired again and again and reminded of just how blessed and special these occasions are and how much we gain from them spiritually, emotionally and personally.  I was inspired earlier this month to make more of an effort to keep my Sabbath Day in a holier way . . .  and I have felt a special blessing for doing so. Oh, I have always sort of kept it holy for sure   . . . but making an extra special effort has made it even better.  Today all over the world, the Sabbath is not being kept as a special day much.  It has become just another shopping day for many.  It was not so very long ago that none of the shops would be open on Sunday.  Sunday was a special day and an actual day of rest.  In my childhood years, almost everybody went to church on Sunday.  It was a day which was marked as different from every other day of the week.  A day when family made an extra special effort to be together and to do together without the impingement of the hustle and bustle of the world.  In our efforts to keep the Sabbath Day holy this month we have refrained from the overuse of social media, instead using our iPads to read the scriptures or do other things which can help us to feel closer to the Saviour.  Doing family history and updating our family records as we can.  Watching and listening to wholesome content on our stereo and television. Truly inviting the spirit into our home rather than the world.  It has made a huge difference. I know on Saturday what I need so that I don't run out of milk or whatever on Sunday.  I have no need to shop on that day, or venture into the crowds of people and traffic.  Other than going to church we have spent our days peacably and feel much better for it.  The Sabbath day was made for man, to be a day of renewal and peace, a calm for the soul. 


Getting to talk to my mom on the phone.  It is such a blessing to me and I hope to her. We really enjoy these times together.  I love my mom and I hate that I live so far away.  I am so grateful for the blessing of the telephone and being able to share these special conversations with each other. I dread the day when I won't be able to call her anymore, but I won't think about that. 

  

Dark Chocolate covered Ginger.  I treated myself to a small pot of this ages ago.  I love the stuff and every once in a while I enjoy a piece.  I checked this morning and I only have one piece left in my pot.  Time to think about getting another one. 

  

Two of my boys enjoying a day of sunshine at the pools.  Its hard to believe that it is still this warm at the end of September!  Love their smiling faces.  Love these two joys. Love that they still do so much together.  I hope that they are always close. 


Life is good.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°It is not what you do for your children,
but what you have taught them to do 
for themselves,  that will make them
successful human beings.
~Ann Landers .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Escalloped Runner Beans and Potatoes. Simple and very tasty.  

I hope your week ahead is filled with lots of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget along the way . . .   

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!

 


2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you Marie about trying harder to make our Sunday's free from worldly things that distract us...There is no need at all to go shopping on Sunday's we have six other days to hurry about....I have been reading a new version of the New Testament it is called The Messenger ...I think it would be a good bible to give to a younger Christian, or one seeking it is written more in book form unlike our bible that are devided into chapters and verses..this one flows along without stopping, it is of course written in modern day speak....I will certainly be keeping a copy to show/give it to anyone wishing to see a new version.....
    Good night to Todd and never forgetting yourself.......God bless. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed your comment Sybil! I never get an e-mail telling me you commented for some reason. I don't know why. I found this by accident. Thanks so much for it. That Bible looks like a great one to give a younger person! Great idea! God bless! xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!