Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Simple Woman's Daybook

 photo smallsimplewomanicon_zpsac834e67.jpg


 FOR TODAY December 31st, 2013

Outside my window...
It's dark, windy and cold, wet too.  It's been a very windy couple of weeks.   One of our front windows is broken, so it lets in the wind.   Apparently the last tenant got locked out and pried it open to put a child through to unlock the door and it has never closed properly since.   Every time our landlord comes over from Ireland he says he is going to fix it, but . . . he never does.

I am thinking...

✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ
 
The life I touch for good or ill
will touch another life,
and that in turn another, until who knows
where the trembling stops
or in what far place my touch will be felt.
~ Frederick Buechner
✻´´¯`✻.¸¸. 

It is hard to believe that this is my last Simple Woman post for the year.   Hasn't 2013 gone past very quickly.   It was a blink and miss it year I think.   So much happened in this year, mostly good.  

I am thankful...
I am thankful for all the many blessings in my life.  My cup truly does runneth over.   I am also very thankful for you, my faithful readers who have stuck with me through thick and thin.   I wish I could make a gift for each of you, but alas I can't.   You will have to suffice yourselves with the knowledge that I appreciate each of you more than you could possibly know.  You are my friends, and I value you as such.

In the kitchen... 

 photo SAM_2489_zps4eac5136.jpg

A delicious Feta Dip

 photo SAM_2498_zps853a9e77.jpg

Kofta Meatballs.

A few nibbles for New Years Eve if you are so inclined, today in The English Kitchen.  
I have never really gone out for New Years Eve.  When the children were growing up we could not afford a sitter and my husband worked most New Years Eve's anyways.  I didn't really care actually.  I am a homebody at heart.   The kids and I would have our own little New Years Eve party at home and it would always be a finger food buffet and movies.   They always really enjoyed it and so did I!

I am wearing...
Todd got me a new flannel nightie for Christmas and I am wearing it.  It's nice and soft and fluffy and warm.  I do so love flannel nighties, don't you?


I am creating...  
 photo copyrightheartisgiven_zps983a962c.jpg

I did this yesterday afternoon.  I quite like her.   I am back to my "me" style.  I've played with a few different styles of art over this past year, but this is what I am happiest with I think.  I am not sure how I am going to move forward.    I did not sell even one Christmas Card this year.   I can only assume that nobody liked them.    In fact I didn't sell much of anything.  Perhaps it is time to rethink this being an artist lark.   But I can't not paint and draw.   It is as integral to me as breathing is.   I need to do it, whether anyone else wants to see it or not.   It's just something I yearn to do.

I am going...
I have no plans to go much of anywhere this week cept home sweet home.  Grateful for my blessings of home, Todd, Mitzie, health, happiness, peace and love.

I am wondering...
What will 2014 bring? Probably some good things and some not so good things.   Life will unfold whatever may be.  Life is what life is, and it is good.

I am reading...

  photo TheOrphanTrain_zpsd9dec748.jpg


The Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline
Between 1854 and 1929, so-called orphan trains ran regularly from the cities of the East Coast to the farmlands of the Midwest, carrying thousands of abandoned children whose fates would be determined by pure luck.  This is the story of one of those children, intertwined with a modern day orphan whose path's cross in an interesting way.  It is a captivating story of two very different women who build an unexpected friendship: a 91-year-old woman with a hidden past as an orphan-train rider and the teenage girl whose own troubled adolescence leads her to seek answers to questions no one has ever thought to ask.  Thoroughly enjoying the read!  I highly recommend!  It is very engaging.


I am hoping...
That you all have a very blessed and wonderful New Year.  A happy mix of good and not so good and everything in between, but mostly love.

Makes me Smile...

"Where you are today is no accident.  God is using the situation you are in right now to shape you and prepare you for the place He wants to bring you into tomorrow.  Trust Him with His plan even if you don't understand it." 

It cheers my heart to know this to be true.  Nothing ever happens without a reason.   Every obstacle is an opportunity for growth.  We are not here, now . . . by chance.  We are here with a beautiful purpose in mind.

I am learning...
Quite simply to be a better me.  It's an ongoing process. 

Around the House ...

 photo 12ab5c61a9ebd942b7e43a79f902b523_zps4d74cb4e.jpg

I love these pretty rose patterned and airy looking curtains.   I think something like this would look lovely on the window next to our dining table which overlooks the back garden.  Perhaps something like this on the bottom and a lace valance on top?  Or nothing on top?   Maybe some pieces of stain glass hanging down?   I don't know!  Help!

 photo 16daa735c4953d5fa9cd01313fd58c5f_zpsd6757a7a.jpg

I just adore this look.  It's feminine and airy and light.   I am longing for airy and light I think.

 photo 79f6391e781a7cb6f680216a570ada53_zps6f28c572.jpg

The colour combinations on this throw are plucking the strings of my heart.   They're so beautiful.  I think I love flowers.  I could quite happily surround myself with them.  Tucked here and there into every corner.   That would make me very happy.

I am pondering...
I have been thinking a lot lately about the things I need to change.  More time with the scriptures, less time frittering.   Eating healthier,  More time in prayer and reflection.  I know I have a running conversation going with my Heavenly Father all the time, but I need to be more attuned to what He wants for me and to His promptings.

A favorite quote for today...  

  photo 1016584_321052461369433_1175467279_n_zpsa05f533a.jpg

`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..
(¯`v´¯)
  `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
  ¸.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.~

"Those who bring sunshine to the lives
of others cannot keep it from themselves."
~ James M. Barrie

 ´´¯`•.¸¸.☆

I love this quote.   Its so very true . . . 


One of my favorite things... 

 photo 80e5634c8b69f7415b5bdff8036e3186_zps5cf4be5e.jpg

Candles, especially smelly ones.   I just adore them.  If I had my way and it was safe we would live by candle light.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
N-O-T A H-E-C-K O-F A L-O-T!
Makes a nice change.

A peek into my day...

 photo 1a911b53f8bc3d43482aeece4bd8eb17_zps4397422a.jpg

I am sure some of this will be involved.  There are only two of us, but there is always laundry.   I remember when my children were growing up.  With five of them there was always clothes to watch, to dry, to iron, to fold, to put away.   There was always a bag of mismatched socks that I could not find partners for.   Laundry was never ending.   At least now with there just being two of us I manage to get it all done every once in a while!

 ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
   ⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small*´¯`.¸¸.☆
   ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆
   ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
   ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬
   ░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░  



Wherever you go and whatever you do I hope there's a wonderful day planned for you!

 photo 21b8b16feedb3bd8896ea76e1763d52f_zpsa30df306.jpg

I wish for each and every one of you a very Blessed and Happy New Year!!  May it be filled with a multitude of blessings and plenty of joy!  I love you!  Stay safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!