Sunday 29 December 2013

Recipe for a Happy New Year

 photo 1176155_402803249861020_1099478859_n_zps209e22f7.jpg

Take twelve fine, full-grown months; see that these are thoroughly free from old memories of bitterness, rancor and hate, cleanse them completely from every clinging spite; pick off all specks of pettiness and littleness;

In short, see that these months are freed from all the past—have them fresh and clean as when they first came from the great storehouse of Time.

Cut these months into thirty or thirty-one equal parts. Do not attempt to make up the whole batch at one time (so many persons spoil the entire lot this way) but prepare one day at a time.

Into each day put equal parts of faith, patience, courage, work (some people omit this ingredient and so spoil the flavor of the rest), hope, fidelity, liberality, kindness, rest (leaving this out is like leaving the oil out of the salad dressing— don’t do it), prayer, meditation, and one well-selected resolution.

Put in about one teaspoonful of good spirits, a dash of fun, a pinch of folly, a sprinkling of play, and a heaping cupful of good humor.
~ Unknown  


 photo newpage_zps1b0e2e59.jpg  

Now, as the year winds down to it's end. . . this is the time most people start to rethink things and make plans for the future.  I try never to make New Years resolutions per se . . . instead I do like to think that each New Year is a fresh page to write upon . . . and I like to think about ways in which I would like to do things that little bit more different.  


✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..
As I stumble through this life,
help me to create more laughter than tears.

ღϠ₡ღ
Never let me become so indifferent,
that I will fail to see the wonder in the eyes of a
child.

ღϠ₡ღ
Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer
people,
make them forget, at least momentarily,
the unpleasantness in their lives.

ღϠ₡ღ
and in my final moment, may I hear You whisper:
"When you made My people smile, you made Me
smile."

~unknown   

 photo 1526801_402597523214926_1982483091_n_zpsab897412.jpg  

I'd like to think that I've made a difference, even if only in some small way.   I want to make a difference.   I want the earth to know that I have been here and that I've made something positive out of my journey.  I want to make my dent . . . my own mark as it were.  

 There is a hymn which we sing at church from time to time.  It goes like this . . . 

Each life that touches ours for good
reflects thine own great mercy, Lord
Thou sendest blessings from above
through words and deeds of those who love.

When such a friend from us departs
we hold forever in our hearts
a sweet and hallowed memory
bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

What greater gift doest thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know,
than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways,
strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

For worthy friends, whose lives proclaim,
devotion to the Saviours name,
who bless our days with peace and love,
we praise Thy goodness, Lord above.
~Karen L Davidson

I like to think of my hands as being the Saviour's hands here on earth.  I do what I can.  It's not always possible for me to do as much as I would like to do.   Time and finances constrain me somewhat, but I like to think that if I had more . . . I would do more, I could do more.

As I say that I am reminded of the man who was walking along the beach.  There were thousands of starfish which had washed up onto the shore.  A young girl was walking as well and every so often she bent down and picked up a starfish and threw it back into the water.   The man remarked to the young girl that there were so many starfish laying there on the beach that she could not possibly have made much of a difference . . . her response . . . "I made a difference to that one."  

 photo 1526127_403291746478837_1018710680_n_zpsd0d2c757.jpg

And sometimes that it all the best that we can do . . . is to make a difference to that one . . . that one person who needed to read or hear those words we speak, who were in need of a smile just when we gave one, who wanted a hug just when we gave one . . . etc., etc.  

This year I strive to make a difference, to  be the difference . . .  in thought, word and deed.

The book is called Opportunity
and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.
- Edith Lovejoy Pierce




  photo copyrightCoco_zps54f64347.jpg 

This is a picture that I did yesterday afternoon.   I do so love to lose myself in my paintings.   I go into a completely different world when I am busy with my pens and pencils and markers and paints.  I quite like where they take me . . .

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

Remember - the fear of 'what if' will always 
keep you from enjoying the present moment 
- and life's gift is the present. 
~ Jamie Sams  


 

Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . Cream Palmiers.  Scrumdiddlyumpitious!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!