Monday 18 March 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





My father gave me this photograph of himself from when he was 17 and had first joined the airforce. Both my oldest and my sister's oldest sons bear a very strong resemblance to my dad that is very apparent in this photograph. Its uncanny.  My dad came from a very poor family and was not able to finish his education as the money was not there for him to get past grade 10. Back in those days you were required to pay fees to go beyond that. I am not sure what it is like now. In any case he ended going into the military.  He was so small that they had to have his uniform specially made for him. 


 


He met my mother when he was 20 and they got married a short time later. I think he was just shy of his 21st birthday because I think his parents had to sign for him to get married.  The rest is history.

Love both of my parents very much. I miss my mom every day. I think I always will.  It pains me that I was unable to be there for her during the last few years of her life.  I had always been there for her in the past. I gave that up for someone who did not deserve me and I will never be able to forgive myself or him for that, but it is what it is and I cannot change it. I hope that she forgives me for that.


 


My left knee has been causing me excruciating pain for this past week.  I am not sure how I could explain it to anyone who has not experienced it themselves. I am so grateful that it is only the one knee.     What a great blessing that is. If it was both I would be totally incapacitated.  I am grateful for the tender  mercy that for now it is only the one.


 


Grateful for being able to go to church on Sunday and partake of the sacrament.  To fellowship with the Saints and take the Savior's name upon myself.  For me that is a really big deal.  I do take it very seriously and I strive daily to live up to my covenants and to be a good example to those around me.  I am not sure I always achieve that purpose, but I try.  And we are told from above that we will be blessed in the trying.


 

Spring, it will be official in only a few days now.  Already I feel a great change in the air. I have been able to have my front window and bringing in fresh air on a few days recently. Even now, this morning, the temperature is a bit above zero. I saw buds on my sister's lilac bushes yesterday and a forsythia in a pot in bloom by someone's front door.  The tulips are popping up next door as well and Jane down the end of the street has been busy in her garden.



I received the most beautiful Easter Card from my friend Ginny and her husband Tom. It comes from the same Convent that Susan Branch visited, the Holy Nativity Convent. Such a thoughtful thing for Ginny to do, to send me this card and from such a place.  I am happy that this will be sitting on my mantle through all of the Easter season.

I don't know why we don't celebrate Easter with the same fervor that we celebrate Christmas. To my way of thinking,  it is a much more important holiday. These next two weeks are the lead up to some of the most important days in the history of the earth. I know not everyone feels that way, but for me they are very sacred.

I am grateful for a heart that celebrates the sacred.


 

They had the most beautiful Tulips in the grocery store the other day. I wish now that I had bought some, even though they don't stay looking lovely for very long.  I had always wanted to see the Tulip fields in Holland, but never did get there. I have seen photographs however and they are stunning. I can only imagine the smell.  I think of all the tulips, pink ones are my favorite color.

 


Occasionally I have this.  I have always wanted to see the world, since I was a child. My parents had an encyclopedia in our bookcase and it had extra geography volumes. I used to pour through its pages regularly, dreaming of far off lands and distant places, places I would like to go. I am grateful that I was able to see some of those places in person, that was a special blessing. I did not get to see them all, but that's okay.  I am an armchair traveler now.  Its the best way for me to do my traveling these days. It costs nothing, I get to see lots of things,  and at night I get to sleep in my own bed. 




 

On Saturday for my lunch I enjoyed a fresh Baguette spread with butter and filled with some Tuscany Ham from the deli counter. It was so good.  Not quite as good as it would have been had I gotten it in France, but it was very good nonetheless.  It is the most popular sandwich in France, this simple repast.   Occasionally I like to come close. Very enjoyable.



 

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to support myself in the way that I do.  I have no idea how long it will last or how long I will be able to keep it up, but I am grateful for it for as long as I have it and can do it. I am trying to save enough so that if the bottom ever falls out, I will still be able to live. It is a bit scary sometimes to think about, but I just put it all in the hands of the Lord who has not failed me yet.  This is another tender mercy that I do not take for granted.

On a side note, what a beautiful pillow.




My life is filled with tender mercies and a multitude of blessings. I take none of them for granted.  I know how very blessed I am to have even this.  I am ever cognizant of the fact that, there, but for the Grace of God, go I. I do not know what I ever did to deserve any of this, but I am grateful for it all. Faith, family, home, friends, job . . .  my cup is filled to overflowing.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.I wear the key of memory
and can open every door
in the house of my life.
~Amelia E. Barr•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Ranch Dressed Crushed Potatoes. Seriously the most delicious potatoes I have ever eaten. 


I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things, tender mercies and blessings from above. Through it all, don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

9 comments:

  1. Spring actually arrives early this year, March 19, which is tomorrow. Easter is also early this year, end of March. Chilly with a light dusting of snow today. You should have your knee checked out with the doctor, and have xrays done. As someone who has gone through terrible knee pain I can sympathize with you. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things were lovely here today Linda. Mild and dry. I wish I had a family Doctor. That would make things so much easier. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Safe to say, Marie, most of us would not have chosen to walk through the same doors of life given another run at it...but we are here to learn I think. So learning we are, day by day. I would think your mom would have understood why you were not able to come, as no doubt she took the vows she made very seriously too. And life does not always workout in the vow department, no matter how hard we work to keep ours...we cannot force anyone else to keep theirs. And all sorrows that come will affect many more people than the evil ones who plan them for us could ever imagine. Again, I see nothing we can do so often in our lives too. Just part of this existence called earth!! Don't beat yourself up...you were not the criminal!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Elizabeth. HUGS right back atcha! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Have to check out https://www.gibbsgardens.com in Georgia. This might make your day with the beauties blooming now. Just a bit up the road, but don't think we can make it. Have a great week ahead. Mary in GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful Mary! I hope you can get there! You have a good week also! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely post, Marie. Your mom would surely forgive you because she loves you. Yes, Spring starts tomorrow. Let’s enjoy every minute of it. Your dad was very handsome. I think you look a bit like him, too. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine. I do look like my father. Sometimes too much, lol. Not so great on a woman! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Forgot to mention - your Dad was a handsome guy and just as pleasing to the eyes now! Happy Day to you and the Family. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!