Wednesday 16 August 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Ah Sun-flower! 
weary of time, 
Who countest the steps of the Sun: 
Seeking after that sweet golden clime 

Where the travellers journey is done. 
 Where the Youth pined away with desire, 
And the pale Virgin shrouded in snow: 
 Arise from their graves and aspire, 
 Where my Sun-flower wishes to go.
~William Blake



I love sunflowers.  There was a time when I wanted sunflower wallpaper and accessories in my kitchen. You know, back when people had themed kitchens. Cows, roosters, sunflowers.  I wanted all the sunflower accessories. 

They are just such a cheerful flower and always bring a smile to my face.  There is a farmers market not too far from me where they grow a whole field of sunflowers each year that you can go out and cut for yourself.  I once took a photo of my girls and their friends in a field of sunflowers.  We had a farm across the road  from us that grew sunflowers for the seed. This was back in the mid 1990's. I wonder what ever happened to that photo.





I have always loved birds, and blue birds in particular, even though I have never seen one in real life.  I have enjoyed watching them for years.  My sister has as well. It was something we used to do together and we often compared notes.  I have lived in several locations where I was able to see a great many different birds and I would spend quite a while each day just sitting and watching while I wrote or sewed.  The most magical thing I saw one year was a flock of snow buntings.  I was down in the laundry room of our home in New Brunswick folding laundry and a whole flock descended just outside the window, eating the fallen seed from my feeders.  I was completely mesmerized by them.  A sight I had never seen before, nor since  . . . 


 


Birds are important to our Heavenly Father. The are often referenced in the scriptures.  I love that.  This is one of my favorite scriptures actually.  Each night when I pray my prayers I always ask God to keep my family in the shelter of his wings  . . . 

I love this mug, it was part of a gift sent from my good friend Elaine . . . 




I received a birthday package from her yesterday.  I was so pleased to get it.  She is such a beautiful wrapper and her gifts always delight from the outside in.  Even the wrapping paper she uses. This had butterflies and bleeding hearts on it. So beautiful and the ribbons. I always save the ribbons in my ribbon collection.  My boss at the manor used to have a whole drawer filled with ribbons for wrapping gifts, and another of wrapping papers. She always got me to wrap her gifts for her, which was a surprise to me because, to be completely and utterly honest, I am total crap at wrapping things. Its my adhd. I have a really difficult time concentrating on the task.  I am far too impatient. 


 



But Elaine excels at it.  Inside that beautifully wrapped outer box was a multitude of smaller, individually wrapped gifts, one of which was the beautiful bird mug.  I do not want to embarrass her, but each was a delight.  






Even Diadamy got a new outfit!  Complete with socks and the cutest little cardigan and boots. Cherries. I love cherries and so does Diadamy and she looks just precious in her new dress and cardigan.  Totally adorable. Thank you so much Elaine.  Everything cheered my heart to no end!


I got a few pretty cards from sweet friends in the post as well.  Thank you Diana and Monique.  It is lovely to be remembered.  I tried to put all my cards out, but the cats kept knocking them over. I really need to develop a better way to display my cards on Birthdays and Christmas. I have my thinking cap on.  I truly appreciate getting cards in the post. I love sending them as well.


 
I see Paula's hand in this!


I spend hours picking out greeting cards for family and friends.  I love to look at cards, and when I go to get a card for someone, I like for it to have just the right message.  It can sometimes be really difficult finding just the right card for the right person.  At least it has been that way for me in the past, especially if it is someone you have a strained relationship with.  For instance, I agonize buying birthday cards for my youngest daughter and son.  We have no relationship at all. I do love them very much, with all my heart as you know.  Most cards for daughters and sons have so much sentiment on them, and reading them trying to pick one out for either of them is a somewhat heartbreaking exercise.  All of the sentiments seem like lies and delusions. I know it, and they would know it . . .  and so I tend to just get them generic cards now.  Its for the best, really. I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable, but I do want them to know that they are loved and remembered.

 


I had a lovely facetime with Doug yesterday afternoon. He was all on his lonesome. Jon is away at Tim Horton's Camp and the others had gone with their other grandparents up country to some sort of family thing, so it was just Doug and myself.  It was nice.  I told him that I wanted him to come over sometime, just him, so we can spend a couple of days together just the two of us. Not that I don't want to spend time with my grandchildren. I do. It was something I longed for when I was in the UK. I just really want to spend some special one on one time with my own children before I die.  I got to spend that week with Eileen recently and that was lovely, and it got me wanting to spend some like-time with my other children as well.  I will pay for their expenses in getting here. I don't want it to be a hardship for any of them. I just want to have some one on one with each.  I know that the younger two will not be interested and that's okay, but I do want to spend  some alone time with each Anthony and Doug.

I hope that's not deemed as weird.  I have seen so little of them over the past 24 years. We have much to catch up on and it is just hard when there are so many other people around.



 


Tonight is my supper with Dad at the Big Scoop night.  I always look forward to spending this time with him, even though the food is not the greatest, and its usually so noisy we can't hear each other speak. Its just nice being together.  When I was in the UK, I never thought I would ever have the chance to see or spend time with my father again.  This is one of the silver linings of what happened (one of many).   I cherish these times, I really do. 

It is sad in a way . . .  seeing your parents grow old and the roles reversing. Those who once gave care, now needing care.  I am sure it is even more difficult for them as they slowly lose, bit by bit, their independence. I suppose it is the same for each of us.

These years I get to spend with my father are a gift.




Oh I do so love a round window. Don't you?  I have always wanted a home with a round window.  That will never be, not unless I win the lottery, and that's never going to happen as I never buy the tickets.   Round windows contain magic.  At least I think they do. 


 


Now I want to make a pie.  I love pie.  Any kind of pie.  Sweet, savory . . .  if it is pie, I am on it! It would be really hard for me to pick a favorite kind. My favorite kind is whatever is sitting in front of me.  I know!  I just love pie!



 


Glimpses of the "brr" months are creeping in. It seems too soon, far too soon, but already I can see some of the leaves changing, and the flowers in the gardens are looking tired, the wildflowers starting to go to seed.  The nights drawing in . . .  I want it to stop.  Please let summer linger for a good while longer . . .  

We wait so long for it each year and it always seems to pass by far too quickly.


And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.I do not ask for any crown
but that which all may win;
Nor try to conquer any world,
except the one within.
Be thou my guide until I find,
led by a tender hand,
the happy kingdom within myself
& dare to take command.
~Louisa May Alcott•。★★ 。* 。

Love this  . . . 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Sweet & Sour Green Beans. These are absolutely delicious!  Sized for the smaller family.


I hope you have a beautiful Wednesday.  Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

10 comments:

  1. More lovely birthday gifts for you. Enjoy time with your Dad tonight. Garbage and recycling day here. Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Linda! Garbage days are always busy ones here as well! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your little doll's outfit:)I looked at those clothes you mentioned..beauteous.Not weird to want your children with you at all.If so Im a weirdo too.I cannot send a card that does not represent my feelings..Then its a phony card lol.J and I have stopped with cards..yrs ago..I love having special ones made for the littles:0 then I can write what I feel;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate phony cards. That is a good word to describe them! You are blessed to have such good relationships with your girls and your grands. xoxo

      Delete
  3. So nice you got so many nice gifts!! It seems that Fall is soon here too, though that is very unusual this early and blisteringly hot as it currently is.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, like you Elizabeth, can do without the blistering heat and humidity. That is the one thing I really dislike about summer! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Glad you like your gifts, Marie. Nice to see them in your post. Yes, that's one of Paula's beautiful cards. Enjoy your dinner with your dad tonight. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were lovely Elaine and I appreciate each and every one. I did not want to embarrass you. Paula makes the loveliest cards! She is so talented! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hello Marie! My aunt used to write the verses for Hallmark Cards…many years ago…she lived in Kansas City and was so brilliant with words…she’s passed and sharing her story with a friend, I learned HER artist aunt drew many of the lovely graphics for Hallmark many years ago…I wonder if they ever crossed paths…such talent!!!….at least, I think so.
    The perfect card is important but I often find my perfect ‘handwritten words’ so difficult to come to me…although, I try and hope the recipient knows I’ve tried.
    Have a lovely day, enjoy and stay well, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful and interesting connection V! I do think sometimes that cards, for me, convey the message that is in my heart that I cannot put into words. You have a lovely day also! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!