Friday 4 August 2023

Friday This and That . . .

 

 


This is my last day of having my daughter with me. I will take her back to her apartment tomorrow as her husband is due to come home in the afternoon.  We have enjoyed each other's company very much this week. Its been fun just spending the time together. We have laughed, a lot. We have talked, a lot. We have binge watched The Chosen, every day.  We are on the third series now and we will try to get it watched today as she doesn't have access to good internet at home and she really wants to see it all.



She has really enjoyed the cats and the cats have enjoyed her.  She would dearly love to have a cat, but her father has said no pets for them. I can understand that as they do go away a lot with the special Olympics and people's first organizations and cats are a tie. Any pet is a tie. You cannot go and leave them for long.  Also I think a pet would be a lot for them to handle in view of all the other things they need to look after, like their apartment.  Her husband is quite child-like in many ways and so is she really, although I do think her to be much more capable than him.  But maybe that is just because I am her mother.




She has enjoyed watching Chippy come each day to gather his nuts, and the humming bird's aerial shows.  That is not something she gets to see where she lives at the moment. They are in an apartment on the top floor of the building. She says that if and when they get their bungalow (they are on a waiting list) she is going to get a hummingbird feeder and she is going to plant a garden and she is going to  . . .  I told her, she has an awful lot of plans for when they get their bungalow!  Even if she gets to do half of what she has planned that will be a lot!

I do hope that they are able to get a bungalow.  They are low rental places and as they are getting a lot older, it will be a lot easier for then than going up all those stairs every day.  Grocery day must be a real struggle.


 

We have not done near all the things we wanted to do, but that's okay. We have had fun together.  Today she is taking me out to lunch, her treat. I keep teasing her and telling her I am going to have a big steak.  She laughs and says that's okay.  I won't, but it is fun to joke with each other.

I got her a sleep machine like the one I have.  It plays a noise in the background and helps you fall to sleep.  She was pretty happy about that.  I like mine. I keep it on the fan sound and have never really tried the others.  She did have hers on the bird sounds one night, but the cats were terrified of the noises the birds were making and kept going to her door to check it out and then running away.  So she changed the sound.




We both picked up some of these at the Home Hardware. This is the time of year that fruit flies start becoming a problem. I have had them pestering me for about a week or so now.  So far it works very well.  And it looks a lot nicer on the countertop than the bowl of vinegar full of dead fruit flies.  I had gone into Home Hardware to pick up some more ant traps as I found another ant yesterday, saw these and came home with them. They had no ant traps. Ants have been a real problem this year I guess.

Eileen got some for her place as well.  


 

I have tried to teach her about healthy eating habits without it seeming like I am lecturing her. I have made healthy meals for us and made some suggestions. She is quite large at the moment and she says "Pre-diabetic," but she is on metformin.  I don't think that they put you on that if you are "Pre."  I have snuck brown rice into her without her knowing it and told her afterwards, after she enjoyed it.   This is not something she would even try because its "brown" rice.  I have tried to teach her that "white" is the enemy. In bread, pasta and in rice.  That carbs are okay, in limited amounts, but we need to pick our carbs carefully and the lower GI we choose them, the better.   Its not just about avoiding sugar. Many things that don't seem sugary are converted into sugar in our bodies.

I hope that she has taken some of that in.


 

Every Wednesday there is a craft and natter meeting at my church.  Its just a few ladies getting together and crafting (knitting, crochet, etc.) and visiting with each other. I had hoped that she would go with me.  Initially she said she would, but then she got really anxious about it and it turned out she was afraid that her father would see my car at the chapel and she would get in trouble. (He lives not too far from the chapel.)  

I don't know how he would even know what my car looks like, but she was afraid anyways, so we didn't go. I did not want to make her feel anxious or stressed. For all I know she was made to promise that she would not have anything to do with my church before she was even allowed to come and stay with me. And she is a person who keeps her promises. I cannot fault her for that!

The best lessons are taught by example and I would hope that I have been able to show her by my example throughout this week that Latter Day Saints are not evil and I am not on a fast track to hell.


 

Yesterday I had to take my sister to the Vet with Little Mac for his checkup. Eileen had to work.  After her work I picked her up and we came home. I had made us a nice dinner.  Then we took some of it over to my friend Glenna. She is our cousin and I wanted Eileen to meet her.  We had a quick visit. Glenna is doing really well and has been given permission to drive again locally.  I hope that Eileen enjoyed our visit together. She seemed to.

On this, our last day together, we are going out to lunch, binging the rest of The Chosen. I am going to blitz a whole loaf of bread into crumbs for her to put into her freezer at home so she can make the Newfie stuffing she loves. Maybe we can go through my freezer and I can give her a few things that she and Tim would like. We can do her laundry so that she is going home with clean clothes. And we can just plain enjoy each other's company.  It will all be back to normal tomorrow, after a couple of very busy weeks for me.

Busy but good. My heart has been very full. It's been a great 10 days.  They went fast!

I know, not my normal Friday Finds post, but sometimes its good to shake things up a bit and do something different.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.In a time lacking in truth and certainty
and filled with anguish and despair,
no wman should be shamefaced in
attempting to give back to the world,
through her work, a portion of her lost heart.
~Louise Bogan •。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . . Bakery Style Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, the small batch.  Delicious!


I hope that you have a lovely day today.  I heard there was tornados in Ottawa yesterday. I believe that is the second day this summer. Hopefully all my friends and family in the Ottawa area are okay!  We live in scary times.  Our weather seems up the shoot! Whatever you get up to today, stay safe and be happy. Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

5 comments:

  1. The cats will miss Eileen, and you will too. Sounds like she had a fantastic week, hoping this leads to many more visits. We had terrific thunder and rain last night, not as bad as some parts of Ontario though. Enjoy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They got tornados near my brother, which thankfully did not involve his neighborhood! You enjoy Friday also! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Nice to hear of your "staycation" with Eileen!! Well, if she cannot have her own cat, maybe she should come visit you more often and play with yours!! Yea, metformin is indeed for diabetics...I was able to get off it after some years, Hubby as well, and we totally use insulin as needed. Nothing perfect however. Better to loose weight if one can...that is the only positive thing I got from having covid, was able to loose weight...not enough, but enough I was able to get off my meds, other than insulin. Which I do not need every day thankfully. It is really hard eating with this however as not always can you see what is making your blood sugar worse. Even being upset will drive it up...argh! Not getting enough sleep etc.
    Hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such a nice time..Hope they get their bungalow soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!