Sunday 24 May 2020

A Closed Hand . . .


(source)


“A closed hand cannot receive.” ~unknown 


 I saw this phrase recently and it got me to thinking about how very true it was. Have you ever sat and thought about the many things you cannot do if your hand is closed? 

You can’t shake hands with the people you meet, or wave a friendly greeting to someone you haven’t seen in a while, or even wave goodbye. 

(source)


You can’t pat a child on the head or place a loving hand on the shoulder of someone who is feeling especially discouraged to let them know that you care. You can’t stroke a beloved pet or a lover’s cheek. You can’t turn the pages of a book or play a musical instrument.   


(source



You can’t pick a flower and raise it to your nose so that you can smell it’s beautiful fragrance. You can’t plant a seed into the ground and watch it grow. You can’t write a book or a letter or a poem. You can’t bake a cake or cookies or bread. You can’t cure disease, bandage a cut, fix a broken bone, or operate to help someone get better. 



You can’t scrub a floor, or wash a dish or make a bed. You can’t weed a garden and smell that wonderful smell from the earth that only comes from getting your hands in the dirt and moving it around. You can’t stir a pot, or flip an egg, or even pat a cake. 




You can’t paint a picture, or knit or sew. You can’t hold someone close and feel their heart beating beneath your fingertips, or brush the hair from their eyes. You can’t hold the hands of someone who is sad, or lonely, or distraught, who needs a friend. 


  
(source


You can’t hold the hand of a lover or a child, or a friend. You can’t raise your hands to heaven and give thanks for open hands and all the joy that comes into our lives and the lives of others through them  . . . . 

Today I give thanks for hands that are free to open and do so willingly.

(source)  


Brrr . . . its very chilly out there this morning and dark clouds are rolling across the sky at the speed of light. Not quite as windy as it was the day before, but still windy and that wind has a distinct chill in it.  Its probably a good thing however as this is a Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK and  if the weather is not so good it might keep people home and safe, rather than risking driving to places they shouldn't be driving to.  It baffles my mind that people are so disrespective of the rules for keeping us all safe and think nothing of putting others at risk.  
 

 

Of course some of the rules are relaxing a bit now, but personally  . . .  I think it is all a bit too soon. I know our Government wants to kick start the economy back into place, but I can't help but wonder at what cost?  It remains to be seen.  With four countries in the United Kingdom, all espousing different "rules" for dealing with the virus, there is a lot of confusion as to what should be and what is happening.  

I think we are all having to deal with a "new normal" here. This virus  will be with us for a very long time.  Personally, I would  not be comfortable sending my children back to school on June 1st and if I could possibly work from home that is the choice I would be making. I know not everyone has that choice.  People need to work, and some need to go out to work  . . .  and they need to have somewhere for their children to be while they are doing that.   I am just grateful that those are not choices I have to make myself. 

There is so much unknown about this virus and its long term implications.  Every decision that is being  made at the present is largely based upon "Guesswork". I am not sure I want to place my own life on the line based on "Guesswork," and I pray for those who must. 

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
The world is full of magic things
patiently waiting for our
senses to grow sharper.
~W. B. Yeats •。★★ 。* 



In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Bran & Fruit Breakfast Bread.  With no fat in the recipe and no eggs, this lovely quick bread is filled with dried apricots and raisins.  Its beautiful toasted and spread with cold butter.  

I hope that you have a lovely day whatever you get up to.  Don't forget . . . 



═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  

 

And I do too!    
 




6 comments:

  1. Watched Contagion last night,how astute the writer was in 2011!!

    I'm afraid I won't be shaking hands for a while.
    Havoc this created and continues to apart from all the lost lives:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be shaking any hands either. I have not watched Contagion. Now sure if I should! haha I am so much of a hypochondriac! We are living in desparate times. Earthquakes, typhoons hurricanes, flood, fire and this. Oy vey! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So true to give or receive we have to keep our hands wide open. We have rain but much warmer, if feels like summer here and I may have to turn the a//c on. Hard to believe a couple of weeks ago we had snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Pam, air conditioning already? I am impressed. I hope it is not a portent of things to come! The seasons are all becoming a bit wacky don't you think? xoxo

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your beautiful post on the blessing of hands. I loved every single word of it. I do feel blessed to have hands to do everything and to serve.
    I feel just like you do about this virus. If we do go out, I am irritated by those that won't obey the rules and apparently do not care. I thought at first everyone was coming together, but now I see the selfish natures coming forth. We are suppose to learn from this experience and I believe the Lord wants us to learn great lessons from it all. If we don't then I feel there will be more things coming our way. However, I feel that anyway, because we are in the last days and I thing the Savior coming is near. Blessings and hugs for your two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn! I suppose people can't change who they really are inside without a lot of help and hard work. Most people are just not willing. I, like you, think the Saviour's return is near. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!