Monday 26 March 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


For Barb.  Our Camellia bussh, which is blooming profusely at the moment. It is so beautiful.  I wish that the blooms smelled, but alas they don't.  They just sit there and look pretty.  They don't last very long, but while they do, they beautify the front garden at our house wonderfully! 


All the daffodils that are in bloom at the moment.  They're so beautiful.  I wish we could make it up to the Lakes and see them there.  I know they are just breathtaking.  So much so that they inspired Wordsworth to write his beautiful poem about them. 

"They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude." 
Each year I have wanted to make the journey up to Ullswater to see what he saw, but each year we never make it. Its the cost of petrol that keeps us tethered to home. Were that it was not so, but it is what it is. Instead we enjoy the local Daffs and glory in their beauty.  We have plenty in our back garden as well, with their cheerful dancing yellow heads. 

Sunday and Wednesday talks with mom.  She seemed to be a bit grumbly yesterday, although she did not complain about anything in particular.  I am sure she feels very frustrated with the situation she finds herself in. Now.  Yesterday she was struggling for most of her words. Before I went home the last time, I was calling her every day, and I could tell then that her memory was failing her somewhat, but it was nothing like it is now.  The progression seems to have worsened dramatically over this past year, and even more so over just these past few months. It is still lovely to hear her voice.  I try to get her to talk about her childhood and things like that because she has a remarkable memory for those things, but yesterday she only wanted to talk about my dad, lol.  I know it gets on her pip that he is still reasonably healthy and driving around, independant, etc.  She was the one who exercised and took care of herself.  I can imagine that there are times it seems highly unfair to her.  


The opportunity we had yesterday to drive someone to church that we don't really know that well.  Our friend Peter Lee usually takes this person, but he called us to say he wasn't feeling really well and would be take her.  It was a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know this sister better and I really enjoyed her company. She is a widow of about 15 months and sings in a "Signing Choir" for the deaf.  I had never heard of such a thing.  What a beautiful service this is for those who are hearing impaired. It was all very interesting.  I think everyone should know sign language. It should be taught in schools just like math or english. In one generation everyone would be able to communicate with everyone else, no matter what. 


We were about halfway home from church yesterday when Todd realised our car was almost on empty, and he didn't have a bank card with him, nor did I.  Usually we always take a bankcard when we are in the car.  I said a silent prayer and not only did we manage to be able to take our friend to her place, but we also managed to get home to our driveway.  Todd will have to walk down to a local service station this morning to get a small can of gasoline, enough to get us to a cheaper place to buy it.  I was just grateful we got home safe and sound yesterday!  Whew!  God is good!! 

  

It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday and it looks to be a beautiful sunny day today.  The sunshine always puts an extra spring in my step.  Its hard to be anything but happy on a sunny day! 


The art of puttering about the house. Doing all those little menial things that need to be done. I love doing them.  I love being a homemaker.  Its all I ever wanted to be. 

Life is good. 
 
A thought to carry with you through today . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
Everyone has inside them 
a piece of good news.
The good news is you don't 
know how great you can be!
How much you can love!
What you can accomplish,
and what your potential is!
~Anne Frank    •。★★ 。* 。
  

 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER

Today's Reading - Mosiah 26:14-39 
Question - If you could make up a question for today's reading what would it be? Which verse stood out to you today?  
 
Thoughts - One verse I really like is verse 33, Alma treasures up the word of the Lord. This is a theme with him. He hears the gospel writes it down. He leaves nothing to chance. I always thought he wrote it down so he wouldn't forget and the doctrine wouldn't get changed. But today I was thinking about why he might've written it down, and the thought occurred to me that one of the purposes could have been to that in latter days we would know what the Lord said, and I thought YES thank you Alma for your diligence in writing it down, thank you for giving Mormon this to include, thank you Joseph Smith for translating it, I am grateful to be reading the Lords words to Alma from 2117-ish years ago. 
 
A great question for today's reading would be,  "What do you think it means to know God and why is it important that you do?

Tomorrow's reading (Day 130) - Mosiah 27:1-17 
Question - What was the purpose of the angel's visit to them? Why do you think we don't all have an angel sent in answer to a prayer? 


 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Smothered Chicken.  Not only delicious, but also low in fat, calories and carbs!  

Hope your week ahead is filled with lots of small and wonderful things!  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too! 


7 comments:

  1. I can understand your mom♥
    Bless her heart Marie..

    Bonne journée..only blooms here are indoors..;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sad Monique, but the selfish part of me is so very grateful to still have her with us and those moments when she is very lucid and happy are just very, very precious. You will soon have your outdoor blooms! It’s amazing the difference just a few weeks makes! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. I didn't run low on gas yesterday, but my tire was almost flat on the passenger side of the car. Thankfully I made it home too like you today I have to get it fixed. The main thing is to have made it home. The rest is a trivial matter in the scope of things. Hope you have a great start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing Pam! How lucky Re we that we can both see Gods goodness in tender mercies such as these! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers make me happy too! I ask my Mom about her friends that she hung around with..stories about her sisters and her parents. She gets scared when she starts forgetting things. I tell her I do too..everybody does. She asks me what was the fav things she cooked and baked for us. Hint for my brother..both want something different..that's when I step in. He's glad to get a break! Lol.

    I know it's hard Marie and if you think that your selfish than I am too! Your Mom is still happy though! I think she's just regretting the things that she still wants to do..like go visiting..just like my Mom. She wishes she could still go shopping..but afraid to fall down. Love the pictures you find..like that little girl on phone.

    That chicken looks delish! I was thinking cauliflower in place of potatoes with alittle gravy on it..change from rice.

    I'm eating later today..making shepard's pie with sweet potatoes on top..sounds good.
    ((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jan, I am always telling my mom that I forget things too, because its true, I do! A shepherd's pie with sweet potato topping sounds great! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. The shepherd's pie was yummy..I ate more than I usually do..it was so good Marie! Love and hugs xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!