Monday 19 March 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


  


Being told by the heart clinic that my episodes are likely not heart-related but gastro-related. What a load off!!   I just need to see my GP and  switch some medication around, so that is an easy fix.  Lets hope it works, and I can get this acid reflux thing under better control. The consultant I saw was very helpful and friendly. He was Irish. The Irish are a friendly lot.  He told me it is his niece that produces Game of Thrones, which he has never seen by the way.  I just happened to mention that Ireland was where a lot of it was filmed and that I wanted to go one day. 

 
I used to be painfully shy at one time.  I cannot believe that I was ever that way. Although I am still not really comfortable or happy in crowds, I am not so shy any more and I do love to talk to people, meet new people, etc. I have more confidence now than I have ever had in my life, and that is a good thing. 


  


Free Prescriptions.  In the UK if you are over the age of 60, you get free prescriptions.  That is a good thing and I am so grateful for that. If I didn't have free prescriptions I don't think I would be able to afford my medications. This is a blessing I will never take for granted.  I think in Wales all prescriptions are free, but I could be wrong. 


Tomorrow is the first day of Spring.  Although the temperatures might deny it, and it might not look quite like Spring is springing when you look out the door, it cannot be denyed. March 20th is the first official day of Spring, and it is all uphill from here.  The days will be getting warmer and brighter.  the bumblebees will soon be bumbling and things will be springing up in the garden.  Of course we still have April showers to get through, but its all onwards and upwards from here tomorrow!♥



  



My mom.  I love my mom so much. She has been such a force for good in my life. I cannot imagine how difficult it is for my sister to be faced with her decline on a daily basis. I am far removed from it.  I can tell each time I call her that she is getting worse and worse, memory/thought process wise. It is very noticeable and I am sure it is very frustrating for her, and a challenge for my sister. It is not easy to deal with people who have dementia and help them to maintain their dignity and pride.  My sister does it admirably.  I wish so much that I could be there doing my part.  All I can do is pray and then call the few times a week that I do.  I try to get mom talking about the past a lot, which she is really good with.  I wish that my cousins and stuff would take it in turn to go and visit her every now and then, just to break up her days somewhat and give her something different to enjoy.  I am so grateful that she has been able to stay in her home, and for my sister's care.  I wish that I could do more to help, both time wise and financially.  Here in the UK my sister would be entitled to a carer's allowance.  In Canada she is entitled to ZIP. Nada.  I know it is a struggle. I wish I could win the lottery or something, then I could help more.   But I am grateful for a sister's love and care, and for my mom still being here I know that both are extra special blessings. 




I know I don't talk about him much, but I am grateful for my dad also. I love this photo of him with my sister, brother and me.  (My sister and I have matching skirts!  Thanks Mom!  She made them.) My father always did extra jobs to bring money into the home, or for spending money for himself which was the same thing because if he was earning his spending money, it wasn't coming out of the family budget. When I was really young, like in this photo, it meant he worked on his days off putting up television antennae for people.  I can remember driving around the community on my bicycle and seeing him up on roof's doing this and feeling really proud that that was my father up there doing that important job.  I love my dad.  Always have. Always will.  I need to try to catch him on the telephone this week.  He is very mobile and is out and about a lot. Its often hard for me to catch him in. 


  


Of all the rooms in the house, I love my bedroom most of all.  



It is exactly the way I like it and want it to be.  I love the furniture. I love the art.  I love the colours.  I just love everything about it.  Part of that is because it isn't cluttered.  I think I would love all of my house if I could get rid of the clutter.  Need to work on that. 



An attitude of gratitude. Every day may not be a good day, but there is something good in every day.  I am a half glass full type of person.  I am grateful for the ability I have to recognise my blessings and embrace them. For my ability to be grateful.  Life is soooooo much better if you can allow yourself to see the grace in it, no matter the circumstances.  I am always cognizant of the fact that things could always be worse, and so I am grateful for whatever whatever . . . . life is good.  Oh yes, I am not perfect. I do have down moments, and you all know that, but I am grateful for the ability to shake it off. 



Little patches of sunlight.  Mitzie knows where to find them.  On the day before this last cold weather system we are now under, it was a gorgeous day and Mitzie was out in the back enjoying every patch of warmth that the sunshine was giving. Todd noticed that the frogs were back spawning in the puddings in the back grassed area.  I expect they have all frozen now and well, it was a waste anyways, because what can spawn from a puddle that will dry up as spring continues.


 


Daily talks with Eileen.  That's my oldest daughter.  I am so grateful for this girl of  mine who seeks me out on a daily basis and wants to talk with me. We do have fun. We didn't get to talk yesterday. Her husband messaged me to tell me that she has the flu.  I hope she feels better soon.   I suspect that she wrote the message on his tablet for him to send to me once he got to where he could send it.  He doesn't really read or write. I think the longest message I have ever gotten from him personally on there is "Hi Marie."  lol


Hot soup on cold days.  Don't you just love tomato soup?  I could make a meal of a bowl of tomato soup.  Its even better with a grilled cheese on the side for dipping, but even just the bowl of soup is great.

I am tempting fate now.  I best press publish before I lose this again.  I have lost this three times already this morning.  The computer gremlins are playing up!!  I don't know what I will do if my laptop cracks up.  I don't have the ability to get another one!  So lets just close with saying that I am also grateful for each and every one of you.  You who still come to visit me day after day, even after all these years.  I really do appreciate each and every one of you.  It's true!

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
A beautiful face will age,
and a perfect body will change,
but a beautiful soul will 
always be a beautiful soul.
~unknown   •。★★ 。* 。 

Spiritual Enlightenment  


  

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Mosiah 21:28-22:9 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? Why do you think we sometimes have to wait for our righteous desires?  

Thoughts -  I love the example of Limhi's people here. That as they waited for their righteous desire they didnt become immobile. They made and kept promises to serve the Lord and obey His commandments. They were waiting upon two righteous desires. 1. Physical deliverance 2. Spiritual deliverance through ordinances, even though they'd already made covenants. The deliverance from the Lamanites, they counselled together and came up with a plan to get themselves physically to a better place. Spiritual deliverance through covenants and ordinances, they knew they had to wait upon correct authority. I love Ammon's strength of character! How easy would it have been to give these people their righteous desires under incorrect authority, they clearly asked him. But he withstood and taught them about waiting and doing it the right way! This has so many applications but the one I take today is - you can't rush the Lord, His timing and His ways are higher, He sees the bigger picture of my life. So trust. Trust in His power to deliver.
 
Tommorrow's Reading (Day 124) - Mosiah 22:10-23:15 
Question What have you learnt from the reading today? What can these verses teach us about our attitude towards new or returning members? 
 

 
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Asian Slaw.  Crunchy, colourful and filled with lovely Asian flavours.  Healthy too! 
 
I hope your week ahead is filled with an abundance of small and wonderful things!  Don't forget along the way  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
 

and I do too! 
 












12 comments:

  1. Ugh..losing posts..oh lala.. to retype..and get the same spur of the moment feeling!
    I have no idea how it works for carers here.I know we have facilities and people that can go and visit and take care..but live-in? I doubt it.We have Nova here and what a Godsend.It ised to be VON Victorian order of Nurses.They are angels.Angels.
    Your sister is an angel.and if you were here..you would be right there.Life puts us in places....your calls..your dear attentions towards her..all are part of caregiving too:)

    Lovely grateful post Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is so frustrating Monique for sure! My sister and her partner gave up good jobs to go East and care for my parents. Bad job situation down there. My sister's partner has only ever been able to find a job doing manual labor at mininum wage, which is something at least, and my sister has been able to find a part-time bookkeeping job, 15 hours or so a week, but will soon have to give that up she thinks because mom won't be able to be left on her own. In the meantime once her UI ran out, there is no income for her at all,except for the tiny bit she makes at the bookkeeping job. Mom gets quite a hefty pension and so that is considered enough income for the household. In the meantime you have a person with dementia saying, I don't know why I bother to pay for the cable anymore, etc. and the concern over things like that. She thinks she has paid bills and she hasn't, argumentative about that, etc. It costs a lot to keep a house going. My sister is an angel for sure. We could have had in home care, but my mom refused to pay for it at the time. She said she wasn't paying someone to tell her when to take her pills. xoxo

      Delete
  2. There are days that those gremlins visit my computer too. It's getting old and I too would be lost with out it. We have nothing for carers here either. but many do care for family at home. My youngest sister cared for my Mom and Dad for a couple of years before they died. One year after the other. I was working and could only help on weekends. It's a demanding job. Prayers are important and never doubt that you are not doing anything. They help more than most realize. I pray a lot as there is little else I can do in a lot of circumstances. Being thankful for what you have, makes the whole world a lot brighter ! Hope you have a wonderful new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE all do what we can Pam and you are right, prayer is one of the most important things! Love, hugs and blessings to you and many thanks for your prayers, etc. They mean a lot to me! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie...well Mary and I arrived home this morning flying into Heathrow after a 13 hour flight !! It was a long one but I'm thankful to Mary for paying to have us up graded to business class so at least we could lie flat out in our letter ..pods...with some good food...our cruise was fantastic it still feels very surreal to think we have been all around SouthAmerica even Cape Horn I was up on top deck at 7.15 am the sea was as calm as a millpond which was a miracle as we sailed on towards Chile. We had been in the first Ffiords when a strong storm was forecast with eight to ten foot waves...lots of folks were not very ...well....!! It didn't bother Mary and me at all...but the length of the storm meant a delay of 14hours so we had to give our last port of call a miss...so we headed straight to Santiago where we spent one night in a lovely hotel then yesterday it was a coach to the airport for our flight home....sorry I have not had any wifi whilst away except a couple of times when I had to contact Lyn to see how Masy was. ....hope everything has been ok whilst I've been away, glad to read that your heart is ok...just hope Dr can give you something to settle things down a bit ,...take care love to you Todd and Mitzie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a trip Sybil! So happy you had such a great time and arrived home safe and sound. I am sure you must be exhausted. You arrived home in snow though I am sure! Its cold here this morning, but sunny and dry. Bonus! Love and hugs xoxo

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that Sybil enjoyed her trip and is back home..safe and sound.

    Your Mom looks forward to your calls every week. She knows you do what you can for her Marie. Both your parents know that you love them.

    My parents live in their home too and my brother watches over them..cooks dinner..does grocery shopping. If they don't fall asleep..their in kitchen helping.

    They don't drive anymore. My Dad reluctantly just gave it up. I go over there and clean and make things they don't bake anymore and visit..they like helping me..get bored watching tv.

    All 3 of them still bake banana bread..double batch every week. Each has a certain thing they do..it comes together.

    My Dad makes homemade chicken soup every week. Muddy buddies, and fruit salad too. My older sister goes over to see them every week too and brings them goodies. When my Dad doesn't like something he tries to get me to eat more or take it home with me. Lol. My oldest sister is too busy working and helping out her son with cancer..no news is good news on that. My youngest sister is too far away but calls every week. My Mom times her..half an hr..her arms get sore and ears..an hour tops. Lol. That's why I don't call, by then she's sick of that phone. My Dad's hearing isn't the greatest..he won't wear hearing aids.

    I will definitely pray that your daughter Eileen gets rid of the flu fast.
    Have a great day..both of you!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my sister would dare leave my mom near a stove. When I was last home, if I had to go out, I was unplugging it. Too worried she would catch something on fire. It sounds like your parents are well cared for and pretty competent! Will pray for your sister and her son. What a concern. (((hugs)))) Thanks also for your prayers Jan. They mean a lot! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Love and hugs to you also Marie! My brother text me today to tell me he has a bad cold! So I prob will have to do their grocery shopping before the week's up. I might have to go over for a few days making sure he eats..drinks water..oj..cook..if he's too sick to go downstairs. My parents can't go upstairs anymore..stubborn Dad will though. Lol. I ran over their house before when my Mom called me. Car wasn't working..took me 10 mins..walking 15 mins. They left her alone to go to appt..she didn't like it..found my number and called. Now I go over bc she's afraid she might fall if home alone..has frozen shoulders..she sits only when her shows are on. My Dad still does all his bookkeeping too. I know it's hard but what a blessing for them to stay in their home! I will pray for your family too! Thanks also for your prayers!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom will sometimes call me as well if my sister is out and she gets confused about something. It shows that your mum thinks a lot of you and trusts you! Hope your brother gets over his cold soon! I hate having a cold! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Just like I suspected..have to go run errands and do their grocery shopping tomorrow.Lol.I heard we are suppose to have another storm! It's coming our way! It will be the fourth big storm!
    Hope you had a good nights sleep.
    Have a great day both of you!xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!