Thursday 17 July 2008

It's All About Passion



"My love gave me a passion-flower.
I nursed it well - so brief its hour!
My eyelids ache, my throat is dry:
He told me that it would not die.
My love and I are one, and yet

Full oft my cheeks with tears are wet
-So sweet the night is and the bower!
My love gave me a passion-flower.
So sweet! Hold fast my hands.

Can God Make all this joy revert to sod,
And leave to me but this for dower
-My love gave me a passion-flower."
~Margaret Fuller

I bet I had you going with the title this morning. What I'm actually going to talk about today are Passion Flowers. I know that I had led a somewhat protected life before coming to England. (haha) Moving over here has broadened my experiences and knowledge in a myriad of ways. There are many things I had never seen, tasted or experienced before coming over here. One of them was Passion Flowers.

When Todd and I were living up in Chester, we often took ourselves on walks through the town of an evening . . . and when we did we always passed this house on the corner of one of the streets that had a wall covered with these lovely and most unusual flowers. I didn't know what they were, and in fact had never seen anything like them before. Todd didn't know what they were either. Every time we passed I looked at them and thought to myself . . . one day I will have a garden with some of those in it . . .



It wasn't too long after we had moved down here that we were visiting a new friend and I noticed that he had the same flowers growing along his fence. Finally! Someone who might be able to answer my question about what they were. Passion Flowers was his answer and he very generously gave Todd and I a seed pod to bring home and plant. We saved it all winter and then in the spring judiciously planted it at the back of our garden shed Now, some three years later it is a beautifully big plant and covers the back of our shed and weaves it's lovely tendrils and blossoms around the outside garden.



It's so beautiful to look at and has a tenacity that goes beyond anything we can understand. It has managed to find a crack in the low stone wall that surrounds a small patch behind the shed and it's tendrils and fingers have even found their way through that to the world beyond.



It is a plant that actually comes from South America and was brought over to Europe in the 17th century by Jesuit missionaries. (Just on a side note here . . . it is said that one of my ancestors was one of the last Jesuit missionaries to the Huron Indians . . . now back to our regular programming) They went over there to spread the Christian Message and fell in love with the majesty and beauty God's bountiful creation, the flora and the fauna . . . a multitude of unexpected plants and animals.

No more so was God's handiwork more manifest than in this one particular plant . . . the passion flower vine . . . so called, because it represents Christ's suffering on the cross. It is a climbing vine and probably distantly related to the cucumber. It uses it's tendrils to climb up walls and other plants, which probably came in really handy when it was growing in the Amazon forest as it sought to rise about the canopy of trees and plants towards the sun . . . its flowers are remarkably beautiful.



A typical passion flower has five sepals and five petals. These are said to represent the ten apostles who remained faithful to our Lord. Immediately inside these is a shape found inside no other flower. This corona is formed of two stacked rings of very fine filaments, often brightly coloured like the sepals and petals. This corona is said to represent the crown of thorns worn by our Saviour.

Protruding from the centre of the corona is a small post, upon which rests the ovaries, five stamens and anthers, and three stigmas. The five anthers are said to represent the five wounds in the Saviour's body . . . the three stigmata the nails. The leaves . . . the spear that pierced his side. The tendrils . . . the scourges that whipped his flesh.



It is indeed an extremely beautiful plant and made even more so for the wonderful gift of love that it represents. Beautiful and easy to grow . . . exquisite and exotic . . . it's like having something more precious than even the Da Vinci code right in your back garden . . . (it also produces edible fruit which is said to have a mild lemon flavoured pulp, although in all truth I have never been brave enough to try it for myself!)

In just a few days now we are off to Cumbria, home of the sticky toffee pudding, or so I am told. When we were there a few years ago I tasted this delight for myself and fell in love. A few nights after we arrived I found some lovely little puddings made by the Cartmel Sticky Toffee Pudding shop in a service area nearby where we were staying, and I have to say we ended up having it every night for the whole rest of the time we were there . . it was soooo good!

I have since learned how to make it for myself and I have to say it my version is every bit as good as the one we had up there. Give it a try for yourself and see if I'm not right. It truly is delicious.



*Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake*
Serves 6

A lovely rich date cake . . . covered with a lusciously rich and tasty toffee sauce. This is truly to die for . . . I like to serve it warm and cut into squares covered with oodles of the sauce and with a delicious pitcher of cold double cream on the side for pouring over top. Let's face it . . . when you are already in that deep, what's a few more calories . . .

50g soft butter, plus more for buttering the tin
175g dark brown demerara sugar
200g self raising flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
1 TBS golden syrup
2 TBS black treacle
(you can replace the above with 3 TBS molasses if you can't get the syrup and treacle)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g pitted dried dates, chopped
1 TBS baking soda

FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE:
100g soft light brown sugar
100g butter
200ml double cream

Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Thoroughly butter a 9 inch square tin with a good knob of butter and then dust inside with flour, shaking out any excess.

Place the dates in a saucepan with about a cup of water and bring to the boil. take off the heat and allow to sit for a few minutes, then puree in a food processor or blender. Add the baking soda.

Cream the butter and sugar together completely until well mixed. Slowly beat in the golden syrup and treacle (molasses), eggs and the vanilla, mixing in well. Add the flour and mix in. Stir in the date mixture, making sure all are well combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or just until the top is firm to the touch. Don't over bake. You want a moist cake.

To make the sauce, melt the butter and sugar together in a saucepan. Add the cream and bring the mixture to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. You want it somewhat thick, and yet at the same time nice for spooning over the cake.

Serve warm pieces of the cake in bowls with lots of the sauce spooned over top. Pass a jug of cream separately at the table if you dare!

18 comments:

  1. I love passion flowers too!
    I do like your pudding Marie - can you send some over please?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love passion flowers. They are so beautiful and unusual. I also love your pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never seen passion flowers before. Those are the coolest things I've ever seen. They look like something I would have doodled on my math papers in school. (I was never good at math.) I like the story that goes with them too!

    Is Cumbria where the castle and Beatrix Potter lived? You'll have to forgive me, I don't know places in England very well.

    The toffee looks fantastic! It looks like the perfect thing for entertaining folks for the afternoon. We don't have a lot of folks that come over since Ben works all the time, but maybe the Babies and I can enjoy it by ourselves! (For some reason I'm on a baking kick. Poor Ben's getting a tummy. He tried to go jogging yesterday and almost died.)

    Dear Marie, your inspiring words and love and support keep me going. It is because of your friendship that I've got the confidence to pursue these ideas of mine. Without your kind words and encouragement, I wouldn't have had the courage to reach out to people. You've taught me how to be social! :) Otherwise, these plans would all be swimming around in my head and I'd go into another depression because I had no idea where to put them.

    Oh--I'm going a Wild West LFB for the book. :) It's a hoot--they get a new friend!

    Love you! Have fun in Cumbria! I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Passion flowers a beautiful, mystical things...I've not tried growing them before though. It was wonderful to see so many of them in bloom when we were at Sissinghurst! The toffee pudding looks a treat...mmm...Have fun as you make ready for Cumbria--hope you have wonderful sun-filled days there! I'll miss you too...Love you heaps!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers are so lovely. I want some to grow in my garden...one day when I have one, that is!

    Oh, and Marie! You are killing me with that sticky toffee pudding! Another one of your recipes that I am filing away for when I start baking again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are enough reason to come here often, but the recipes!! WOW!! Thanks for sharing. And want to say too, your hubby looks SO happy!! Wonderful that you found each other, even if not when young!! Thanks for sharing that too!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love passion flowers. One of the places across the street they grow in abundance on the fence. We tried transplanting some, not sure if that worked. We will try the seedpods next time! That sticky toffee pudding would be too good for me to pass up! Lovely post, hope you have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John planted me a Passion flower vine. We enjoyed the beautiful flowers and the fruit for several years... but alas some of the little critters we have so abundantly in our garden chewed off the base of the plant and killed the whole giant vine that grew up and covered our patio so beautifully. So sad.. we have not replanted but your post today makes me want to do so.

    That pudding cake looks devine. Wish I could try it but we are off today on a journey that takes us through 6 states and back. We are meeting up with our kids in Utah and then traveling to Wyoming to camp and go white water rafting. We do this every year..... I'm beginning to wonder why...I'm too old for this.... If I live through it all I will be back to visit you as soon as I can. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've missed you... love passion flowers and the pics of the blue scabious from a previous post. Toffee pudding I could eat right now. Hope you're well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not usually one to comment, but Sticky Toffee Pudding...YUM! Its not a desert you see often in America, but I fell in love with it at a restaurant on Grand Cayman Island and eagerly look forward to that desert each time we go to the Island. SO good!! I've never thought to try making it myself for fear I would make myself sick eating far too much at one go...but perhaps I may have to give in and try one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Marie....never attempted to make 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' but may try your recipe.
    One of our stays in Cumbria was at Cartmel, the home of the pudding.You would like to visit the Village shop I'm sure, if you haven't already?
    Aileen....X

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning flower.

    Just checking in. Been missing ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Passion Flowers are so beautiful and interesting.
    And the recipe looks fabulous as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sticky Toffee Pudding! Yum...looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Oh, and the passion flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so moist and good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh-hooray! My husband came home from the market with two bog packages of dried dates-why so many, I'll never know. My sticky pudding recipe is so so at best, so I'm so happy to have yours. Those passion flowers are so pretty and exoctic!
    Have such a wonderful wonderful trip and I'm anxious to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is one of my favorite desserts! mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those passion flower pictures are amazing, Marie.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!