Thursday 31 July 2008

A Mother's Thoughts On An Early July Morning



"Being a mother at any age is a blessing, but as we age and our children become interesting and productive adults, we really begin to savour the joys of the harvest, the fruit of our labours. How could we have known when they were young and the demands so constant that we would ever have the luxury of simply enjoying their loving companionship."
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

When I was a little girl, all I ever really wanted to do was to grow up and become a mother. Other little girls dreamed of one day being ballerinas and nurses, but I wanted to be Aunt Bea . . . As a teenager, my best friend, Mary, had a baby sister who was only about 2 years old. I used to envy her that. I so very much would have loved for my mom to have had another baby so that I could have taken care of it. I used to love babysitting the little girls that lived across the street from our house. The family had two older girls, but also a baby girl, and I can remember waking the baby up from it's nap on purpose while I was there . . . just so that I could play with her.

I think mothering was in my blood . . .



Nothing on earth could ever match the joy I felt in my heart when I found out I was expecting my oldest child . . . that is, unless you count the other four times I experienced the same thing . . . likewise the joy I felt on the days that each one of my five children were born. Holding those precious little newborns in my arms was a feeling like none other and to this day my heart is overwhelmed with wonderful feelings when I hold a newborn baby in my arms and feel them snuggle in close . . . hear their little newborn baby sighs . . . and smell those little newborn baby smells . . .



I loved my children's growing up years. It was a busy time, and I can honestly say there was never a dull moment! With five busy and very active souls in my care, life was certainly never boring. There were days I would have given anything to have sprouted an extra pair of hands or arms, or even legs . . . not to mention a few extra hours in the day . . .

There were small joys and simple pleasures . . . like first steps and first teeth . . . first days of school . . . bedtime stories and prayers . . . snakes in the basement . . . tree forts in the back garden . . . proud, smiling faces bearing report cards and end of the year certificates . . . school recitals and plays . . . sticky kisses . . . fresh cookies after school and tender hugs . . . giggles and laughter . . .



There was chicken pox . . . scary accidents . . . hospital stays, cuts and bruises . . . broken fingers and arms . . . petty childish arguments . . . homework that didn't get done . . . boys that broke hearts . . . and hearts that got broken . . . plenty of tears and tender teaching moments . . .



On Sunday morning my last fledgling finally leaves the nest for good . . . he has joined the Canadian Air force and is off to boot camp in St Jean, Quebec . . . My heart is filled with many feelings. Remorse that I did not get to finish bringing him up these last few years of his life as a child, and young adult . . . pride at the wonderful, decent young man he has become . . . and the fine soldier I know he will be . . . the fear that only a mother of a soon to be young soldier can't help feeling . . . and the uncertainty of what that future may bring . . . and my heart is full of the love that only a mother can have for her son . . . her baby . . . her boy . . . now a man.



It seems like only yesterday I was slicking down his hair, strapping on his book bag and sending him out the door to catch the bus on his first day of school . . . and now he is going out the door and closing the final chapter on his childhood . . . and soon will be a man . . . nevermore a boy . . .

My goodness . . . I am all choked up here as I re-read my words this morning . . . such is the joy and pain of motherhood, but what a beautifully wonderful pain it is . . . a pain I would not trade for anything in this world . . .

A perfectly scrambled egg is a beauty to behold, and to eat! Here is my fool proof way of making the perfect scrambled eggs and after that a delicious recipe to use them in!



*Perfectly Creamy Scrambled Eggs*
Serves 4

When done right, there is nothing more delicious than scrambled eggs. Soft and trembling on your plate with a few slices of buttered crisp toast they are food for the gods . . .

2 TBS unsalted butter
8 large free range, organic eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

Whisk the eggs together in a medium sized bowl, along with the sea salt and black pepper, until the whites and yolks are completely combined.

Melt one TBS of the butter in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Once the butter begins to foam, tip in the whisked eggs and let sit un-disturbed until they are slightly firm on the bottom and beginning to set around the edges. Immediately begin to stir them with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, with gentle movements, stirring and cooking gently until they are no longer runny, about 2 to 3 minutes. You want them to be slightly moist as they will continue to cook after you remove the pan from the heat. Add the final TBS of butter and stir it into the cooked eggs.

Remove the pan from the heat. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Divide between 4 warmed plates and serve immediately with warm buttered toast.



*Tasty Breakfast Quesadillas with Scrambled Eggs and Crispy Bacon*
Serves 1 (can be multiplied easily)

2 pieces of streaky bacon, fried until crispy and drained well on paper kitchen towelling
2 large, free range organic eggs, scrambled as above
1 ounce grated medium cheddar cheese
1 ounces grated red Leicester cheese
1 large flour tortilla (I like whole wheat ones)
1 tsp of olive oil
fresh Tomato Salsa to serve

Sprinkle the red Leicester cheese on one half of your tortilla. Top with the scrambled egg and bacon. Sprinkle the grated cheddar on top and fold the other half of the tortilla over to cover. Press gently.

Heat the olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet. Add the quesadilla and toast until slightly crisp on one side, before carefully turning it over to toast on the second side, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.

Serve warm, sliced into quarters with some fresh tomato salsa on the side.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, I have found the way to the perfect quesadillas!!! These are positively mouthwatering at any time: day or night. Bookmarked :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would eat that non-stop. In fact, I'm having chicken quesadillas for dinner tonight!

    You know, if you stuffed those suckers with fried potatos, chorizo and salsa, they call them migas down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm sure you are a wonderful mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I really don't like that program you are using. It changes before I really get a good look at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear anonymous, you can get a closer look at any one of the pictures in the slide show by clicking on each one as it appears. This takes you to a full size photograph that you can look at to your hearts content! I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delightful post Marie...you are a dear mom! Your breakfast quesadilla is a terrific idea--must make this weekend! No bacon for me though ;o) Thanks for taking us back to basics with the scrambled egg video & recipe...My sister says I make under-done eggs--not so, perfect eggs! Scrambled sounds good...I could go for some now! So sorry to have missed you on MSN yesterday. I was online for but a little yesterday--my hands are bad this week. Hope we can catch up during the weekend. LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I am sure that your son will do you proud! It is hard to watch them grow up and away, tho! Those eggs look great, mine usually turn out like rubber, although I made a very nice fritatta this weekend. Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this Post Marie!!

    I seriously got teary eyed reading your life with your children as they grew up in your lovely presence. Then I got hungry and wish I had some of those "creamy eggs"..

    You are a pure example of what a Mother should be along with "of course my own Mother and Grandmother;-))

    I love how you have so much passion for children, for your own and others. Thank you for being such a wonderful Person and Friend.

    Love, Jeannene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Marie
    What a lovely post on being a mother. Your children must have all felt so loved!
    You have THE most delicious food here every day. I love quesadillas.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Motherhood is great! I feel the same, hoping your children will grow up faster but also at the same time long for the days of noisy house, babies and toddlers. Feel the empty nest when they are grown and not around often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Marie, I didnt read the recipe I was in tears over the words you wrote about being a mother. I know exactly how you feel. Everyday is an adventure with kids, they truly are teh best things in life. God knew what he was doing when he designed a mothers love. Theres nothing quite like it.

    PS the food did look good.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Marie,
    We are back home in CA now. We had a good trip from Nevada today.

    The car is unloaded but our bags are not unpacked.... and what do I do the first thing..... go to the computer of course

    Can you believe that... I've sat in a car for hours and now I'm sitting at a computer... I'm addicted to you!!!

    I love seeing the pictures you posted of your family today and those you posted of your trip yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

    If I waited up another hour I could probably see your Fri. morn post and be the first to say hello to you.... but I'm too tired... so I will say good night. You will be up soon...so... have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie, Marie..

    Such joy being a mother.. I sure can understand you getting all choked up.. cos I was getting choked up too reading your story.. and thinking of my son.. who will turn 13 soon. He's still innocent and very much a boy and so, I cherish and am holding on to the time I've left before he loses his reaches his teen-hood!

    Thanks Marie for sharing.

    Angela KL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to join the ranks of "motherhood". I pray that I can cherish each stage of life and enjoy the journey of being a mother. Actually, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!