Wednesday 9 July 2008

If only . . .



"If the whole world followed you . . . would it be a better place? Would people smile a little bit more and frown a little bit less? Would hearing the sound of children’s laughter at play be more common? Would people cry a little bit less, or only cry about important things?

Would anyone go to bed hungry . . . or cold . . . or wet? Would we all have beds to sleep in and a warm roof over our heads? Would anyone ever have to go to bed afraid or angry?



Would fathers, mothers, and sons and daughters have to go to war? Would children still have to live with the sound of bullets ricocheting off the buildings in the town square, amidst the echoing of air sirens in the distance? Would people’s differences be settled around the kitchen table, over a nice hot cup of cocoa and a slice of homemade cake?



Would people be kinder, gentler, more forgiving . . . would they stop to lend a hand when one was needed, and share all they had with those less fortunate than themselves? Would animals and children ever be abused or neglected or hunted just for the sport . . . for that matter would our elderly ever be abused or neglected, or forgotten?



Would people be thinking more of others and less of themselves? Would we be watching “nice” telly instead of smut, swearing and violence? Would waiters in restaurants be more attentive instead of ignoring you, giving poor service and still expecting a large tip? Would you ever have to worry about the chef spitting into your soup if you sent it back to the kitchen to be warmed up?



Would people and governments be more honest, more caring? Would there be any heart behind a politician’s smile? Would teachers really teach and nurses really nurse? Would people say “Have a nice day” and really mean it? Would yes mean yes and no mean no? Would we all be "playing nice?"



Would mother’s cry over their son’s and daughters? Would daddies never leave? Would people make love, not hate? Would people bow their heads more to pray, and watch out for each other in a kinder gentler way?

If the whole world followed you . . . would it be a better place?"



This was a piece I wrote last year on my old journal. I was up working all night last night and have only been able to sleep for a few hours and so thought I would share this piece with you. I can never really sleep well after being up like that. I suppose it's not really natural to me. I will be really tired tonight though and so probably be in bed quite early. In the meantime I apologize if some of you have already read this piece and for those of you who haven't, I hope you enjoyed it.

I'll share the recipe that I posted with the original piece as well. I am trying to bring some of my better recipes over here to Oak Cottage as well. That way I can have all of my best things in the same place. I doubt Todd and I will be eating anything too fancy today! It will probably be a beans on toast kind of a day . . . but no mind, we can eat them and dream of this . . .

Here’s a lovely supper that is not only easy and quick to make, but delicious and fairly inexpensive as well. I don't know too many people who can't use cheap and cheerful food nowadays!



*Macaroni, Cheese and Pancetta Frittata*
Serves 4

A frittata makes a lovely lunch or a light dinner. I love this version because I love macaroni and cheese anyways, but adding eggs and bacon makes it even moreish!

75g of uncooked macaroni (¾ of a cup)
75g of diced pancetta (3 ounces)
1 fat clove of garlic, finely minced
6 large eggs
75g of Grana Padano Cheese, roughly chopped (3 ounces)
(You can use a good quality Parmesan Reggiano if you can’t get the Padano)
A large handful of fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil on top of the stove and cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain it well and then set it aside to cool a bit.

Heat a 10 inch non-stick oven proof skillet and fry the pancetta in it for a few minutes, until it begins to crisp up. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more without browning it. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them well together. Remove the pancetta from the pan with a slotted spoon. Stir the pancetta into the eggs, along with the macaroni, cheese, basil leaves and a good grinding of black pepper.

Put the skillet with the garlic back onto the stove over a medium heat and once it is heated, tip the egg mixture into the pan. Cook for eight to ten minutes, or until it is almost set.

Heat the grill to medium and slide the pan under it. Grill the frittata for four to five minutes or until completely set and golden brown.

Remove from the grill and let sit in the pan for about 5 minutes. Slide it onto a chopping board and cut into slices to serve.

Serve warm or at room temperature, with a garnish of extra basil leaves and a salad on the side.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Marie, I have always enjoyed your blog so much. I have passed the Arte y Pico Award on to you. Check my blog for the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie
    I loved the piece you wrote. What kind of world would it be if everyone followed Jesus? A wonderful one that's for sure! The fritatta looks delicious. I have got a lot of reading to do to catch up with since I've been away from blogging. Know that I will definitely be reading all your posts but I might not comment on every one. Hope you are having a wonderful day.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a perfect recipe for a week like this! I'll have to try it! I love your inspiring words. If only things were that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Marie. (As always.) :)

    Love the recipe, too! YUM! My family will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I vote that everyone follows you! You are such a dear, that was a lovely post! That frittata looks great, will be trying that as soon as our basil is big enough to pinch some leaves off of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie, really that the world woulkd it be if everyone followed Jesus, would a perfect world I think or much better that the world is now. But really is a hard world, and is fright or a battle all days, to believve and love, to be different and did you know sometimes when the people is nice and warm others think you are strangue????? well this is a world that we live. But we don't let HIM, becauyse we are in love of HIM is all,I told the childs the other day in a conversation, we make the things because we LOVE HIM, not for others things how the hell, or the heaven, is all, we love him and personallity I cant`t live without HIM and stop love HIM. I told you Im a poveretta of God. (S.Francisco Asìsi) Sorry I extende so.
    Your dish look wonderful how the food I like!! a big hug! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lovethis recipe! This would be great for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie - You know I LOVE cheese that look delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I love a frittata at the end of the week when all the leftovers can go into it.
    I tried the blueberry pie yesterday and it was perfect. I didn't have any issues with running or white goo, as the host cook did and it was not too sweet. I cut down on the fat in the dough. I cup for 3 cups flour is just right and is the proportions of my fav dough recipe. I get 3 crust out of it usually. For this one I didn't make a top crust but folded the bottom one up and over the top galette-style. Everyone loved it.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fritatta. You can use practically anything in it and it doesn't cost much to make.
    I don't go on the computer every day but I wouldn't miss a post of yours for all the tea in China!
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful words from your heart!!
    Really worth rereading over and over.
    The recipe looks pretty yummy! I think it's sandwiches on this hot July evening for us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great words of wisdom! Thank you!

    I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite recipe yet! Everything that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful as always, Marie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!