Tuesday 22 July 2008

Tuesday Tuesday . . .



I suppose you all have come here looking for Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler, after all it is Tuesdays With Dorie Day and that is the recipe that Amanda from Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake chose for this week's Dorie challenge. I really would have loved to make it this week, but alas . . . I am up in Cumbria on holiday chasing red squirrels around, dodging rain drops and sitting on the stones of Uther Pendragons castle ruin watching sheep gallivant and frolic around me while I look across the Mallerstang Dale . . . sounds wonderful doesn't it? Trust me when I tell you . . . it is. In the meantime you can check out the Tuesdays With Dorie Blogroll to catch up on all the other delicious cobblers that have been made.

I'll be back next week with a lovely Summer Fruit Gallette as chosen by Michele from Michele In Colorado Springs. I'm already licking my lips!!!

And just so your visit here was not a huge waste of time, I give you . . .




*Blueberry Soured Cream Cake*
Serves 10

Moist yellow cake studded with luscious blueberries . . . all topped with a delicious cream cheese icing and more fresh blueberries. This is a winning cake on all counts!

6 ounces butter, softened
6 ounces caster sugar
3 large eggs
8 ounces self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
142 ml carton of sour cream, divided
3 X 125g punnets of blueberries

FOR THE FROSTING:
200g tub of cream cheese
4 ounces icing sugar
(plus the sour cream that you don't use in the cake)

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/375*F. Butter a 9 inch round deep cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment. Butter the parchment.

Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla into a bowl. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes with an electric beater until it is pale and well mixed. Beat in 4 Tablespoons of sour cream, then carefully fold in half of the blueberries.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan and level it off. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed or a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool in the tin for 1o minutes, then take out of the tin and peel of the parchment paper. Leave to finish cooling on a wire rack.

Beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar and the remaining sour cream until you have a smooth and creamy mixture. Spread over the top of the completely cooled cake. Scatter the remaining half of the blueberries on top.

This cake will keep well in the refrigerator for several days. (If it lasts that long!) Deliciously moreish!



I think I'll go wrestle me a sheep or two . . . just for the exercise like . . .

17 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed moreish! That looks great! Maybe that is what I can do with the blueberries I saved from the catbird! Hope you are having a fantastic vacation! I wouldn't try wrestling the ram tho - he has horns! LOL Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy, that does look delish! But I am more interested in hearing more about your vacation. Hope you are having a blessed time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i was where you are! i've never even been anywhere close to castle ruins. the only castle i've been to is at disneyland:) and thanks for the recipe-i LOVE blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. marie your vacation sounds like a little bit of heaven, and this cake looks like heaven too! i hope your taking pictures to show us when you get back!! i love pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really got to make this cake!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, This is absolutely lovely I love blueberries. And Mom bought the other day and give me freeze blueberries, here are so good I can´t wait to make this. xxGloria
    I hope you have alovely time there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blueberry cake looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to catch up on all my Marie posts. I assumed that you having no internet meant no posts. Silly me. This cake is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I ever get rich, I'm going to come pay you to cook for me. Then I'm going to have to spend 8 hours a day on the treadmill. It will be worth it. Oh it will be worth it.

    And I'm going to buy a castle. With ducks. :)

    I hope you're having a wonderful time! Take photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh Marie, my DH loves blueberry muffins and your cake looks delish, another keeper in my long list.
    You and Todd have a great time on holiday and take lots of pics for us ladies on Zaar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont know how that cake is going to serve 10 people :D It looks so delicious that I'd have a few slices to begin with and ward off any potential scavengers ;) Awesome cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delish! I wish I had seen this yesterday. I made a blueberry almond coffee cake but this looks great! Ok my coffee cake was wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Marie...that cake is heaven...And your vacation sounds like it is too--so glad you're having the best time! Happy Days, sweet friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow i love vacations . though cant go anywhere right now .

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummmmmmmmmmm - I could jump right into that cake. will have to consult your guide for US conversion of measurements. i gotta try this recipe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cookie, I posted some of your blueberry soured cream cake pictures on my blog with a link to you. Hope you don't mind. I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!