Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Like many of you, I was saddened to learn of Dolly Parton's passing yesterday. Another icon gone.  This was one of the best people. Not only talent-wise but in every other way by all accounts. Never a touch of scandal attached to her name, not that I have ever heard or read. Only good.

I first fell in love with Dolly's music and her voice on a school bus travelling back and forth to Vocational School in the early 1970's, about 1974.  Our bus driver liked country music and it was a long drive there and back. If you did not like country music at the start of the year, you were converted by the end of the year. The song "Jolene" was very popular during that time and I came to love Dolly's voice and her music.  A very talented musician, song-writer, singer, and actress and a beautiful human being from the inside out.

Rest in Peace Dolly. Thank you for all the joy you brought to so many in your lifetime. God speed.



"I am so determined to fall more in love with life. Intentionally romanticizing the walks I am on, the birds chirping, the blooming nature around me, the water in my cup of tea turning from a light peach tone to a dark pink, the poetry I write, the things I am learning, my handwriting dozing off while sitting in front of my window, all of it and more. I have to take a closer look at the little things that make my heart beat faster."
~Teesa Texte

Why do we have to wait until we are old to become wise. Somehow it doesn't seem quite fair. I could have used some of the wisdom I have now way back then. To live my life more intentionally. Life was so busy. I was so busy. It seems that my days whisked by in a flurry of taking care of children, home, etc. and I loved all of it, but I wish that I had taken more time to notice. To breathe in the here and the now.  I can remember being told that it would pass all too quickly and my then full hands would be empty all too soon. I am not making that same mistake in my later years. I am taking time to notice all the tiny blessings woven into my days, that still seem to pass by far too quickly. I have learned to be more intentional about how I live my life, to not take things for granted, to find joy in all of the small things.  Perhaps "that" is why these later years in life have come to be called the "golden" years  . . . 




We have had a lot of rain these past days and the ants which I had mistakenly thought were not going to bother me this year have found their way indoors. I sat in my easy chair yesterday while the cleaners were here, watching them pour in and out from the little ledge which separates the ceramic tiles of my entryway from the panel flooring of the rest of the wee house that I live in.  I have put down some liquid bait traps. But they seem to be venturing further indoors this morning, much to my annoyance. I think I will need to spend some time this morning putting out more baits in more strategic places. Silly me to think I might have gotten away one summer without having been plagued by them.

I wish that they had stayed outside dancing in the rain. Sigh  . . . 


 



"Watch the sunrise at least once a year, put a lot of marshmallows in your hot chocolate, lie on your back and look at the stars, never buy a coffee table you can't put your feet on, never pass up a chance to jump on a trampoline, don't overlook life's small joys while searching for the big ones."
~H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Don't miss the small joys  . . . 
It’s so easy to spend our days chasing the big, shiny moments . . .  the milestones, the breakthroughs, the things we think will finally make life feel complete. But lately I’ve been reminded that the real magic is almost always tucked into the quiet corners of my days. A soft morning light. A cup of herbal tea savoured instead of rushed. Extra marshmallows on my hot chocolate.  A kind word. A moment of stillness where the world feels gentle again. These tiny joys don’t ask for attention, yet they’re the very things that steady us, soften us, and make life feel full. When we stop overlooking them, we realize the small things were never small at all — they were the big things in disguise. 


 

I am in love with . . .
  • Hair festooned with pretty ribbons
  • Dresses with flowers and lace
  • Poetry written on scraps of paper and in notebooks, and memorized
  • Letters in the post and cursive script
  • Pretty pastels and denims
  • The smell of pink grapefruit, sunshine and smiles
  • Laughter with family and friends
  • The glow of moon in the dark night sky
  • Stargazing
  • Watching the hummers at the feeder flit and fly, an aerial battle of dominance
  • Dried flowers between the pages of a much beloved novel
  • The classics and art
  • Classical music and soft curtains dancing away from the window on a breeze
  • Pink and orange skies fading into purple
  • The feel of paper between my fingers
  • The smell of fresh coffee . . .  even if I don't drink it




I call her my furry little "Purrito," a play on the word burrito.  I would just love to gobble her up. The way she lays so relaxed and calm . . .  not a care in the world. So at peace. After the cleaners have left she loves to go and roll all over the clean floors. I don't know why. Sometimes they are not even quite dry, but she rolls on them anyways  . . . I suppose she is putting her scent back. I could just snuffle up her belly when I see her laying like this  . . . 


 


You always know when feeding time is near. My fluffy Lion King. He positions himself within eye shot and he stares, and he stares and he stares  . . .  if I don't move, he will move closer and closer, one small space at a time . . .  until he is right in front of me staring up at me. There really is no need for me to even have a clock to tell the time really. I know from those golden eyes that it is either midday or early evening.

He even tells me when it is time for me to go to bed. He will suddenly appear, moving away from his napping spot under my bed and into the living room . . .  in anticipation of the little treats that I always gift them with before I retire.

Oh how I love them both.

And finally  . . . 

 

Make your life about joy,
Celebrate your big and little
wins. Celebrate your progress.
Grow every day. Let the warmth
of the morning sun kiss you
before you dive into the day
ahead. Find little things to 
smile about. Give hugs often,
compliment others whenever
you can. Get inspired. Read
books that light you up. Nourish
yourself. Go outside and spend
time in nature. Take chances.
Make the art. Watch the sunrise
and the sunset. Climb the
mountain. Life is just too short
and fragile not to live a life
of inviting joy.
~Nikki Warne


Fall in love with your life. Wake up early, buy your favorite coffee, go for walks, eat good food, wear what makes you feel confident, listen to your favorite music. Purposefully create these small moments that make you fall in love with your life.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Some things
are worth the splurge.
Kiernan Shipka 


Herbed Souffle Omelet



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Herbed Souffle Omelet. Simple and delicious. You can make a real meal with this one. Breakfast, brunch or supper. 

I hope you have a beautiful Wednesday. Our niece (my brother's second oldest daughter) is driving down from where she is visiting a friend in Halifax to spend some time with us today. It will be nice to see her.  We are blessed that we have a niece who wants to spend time with us and who is willing to go out of her way to do so.  Happy day all! Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   

2 comments:

  1. Your Purrito is adorable, so is the Lion King. Great names. Another lovely visit with a niece today, enjoy. It is a sunny day, not overly hot. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having lots of family time for sure Linda! Nice and sunny here today! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!