Monday, 10 August 2026

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 



Eileen and I have just had the sweetest most relaxing weekend together. We didn't do anything special. We just puttered, did her laundry, cooked a bit, ate some nice food, watched some nice movies, laughed a lot and hung out. A couple of simple ordinary days where we did nothing really but enjoy each others company in the simplest and best of ways.

Her CSS worker will be picking her up at 10:30 this morning to go to the hospital and then bringing her back here afterwards. A relaxing day for her as she recuperates for the rest of the day, night and into tomorrow.

I am praying so hard that the cancer has not spread anywhere else and that it is contained and that they will be able to get it all. I have placed her in the Lord's hands. He knows best. 


spatchcock chicken 


Sunday dinner with the family.  This week Cindy roasted a spatchcocked chicken. It was delicious (as always). We enjoyed it with roasted white and sweet potatoes, and a mix of green and yellow beans. So, very, very good. She had made cinnamon roll apple pies for dessert. They were also delicious.

The best thing of course is spending time together as a family. Getting to see my father, having a few laughs.  Eating some delicious food, etc.

Bailey is right at home there. He's such a cute little guy. My sister really loves him. Dogs are quite different than cats. Dogs really need and love us. Cat's love us, but they don't really need us in the same way that dogs do. They are much more independent. Anyways Bailey is very comfortable there and you can tell he is really happy.

Dad seems to be slowing down a lot. It makes me sad. At least he is comfortable and surrounded by people who love him. We should all be so blessed to end our days in this way. Hopefully we will have him with us for a quite a bit longer. 



David and Christine will be here next week. 😀 We are all looking forward to seeing them. I think he has plans to take Dan up in his friend Phil's plane. Something for Dan to look forward to. I don't expect that I will do much with them, but enjoy their company when they are staying put. Maybe Cindy, Christine and I can do some art together, maybe even with Eileen. We will see.

Yesterday we were talking about the time David electrocuted himself. He was three years old and playing in his bedroom. Back in those days the window screens were made from metal screening and there was a small hole in the screen in his bedroom. He pulled out a piece of the wire and poked it into the socket of his bedroom lamp. Mom was working in the kitchen and heard a loud bang and went running.  Thankfully he did not kill himself, but he was badly burned on his hands, his hair was singed off, his eyebrows, there were burn marks on his bedding and the wall. To be honest, he was never quite the same afterwards. It brought on a few challenges, but he overcame them thankfully.

I love my brother very much and can't wait to see him. It will be nice.




Eileen to a "T."  She is such a gigglemug. She will laugh when she gets up and I tell her this.


 


Cindy is the "crow-whisperer." They come to her when she calls.  They know her and that she comes armed with peanuts. That she would never hurt them. I love this. I love her.





I did not go to church again yesterday.  I wanted to spend the day at home with Eileen.  I watched it online as did she, with her church. We both were content with that.  I haven't been for about a month now, or so. I do need to go and am always content to go. I just wanted to be here with Eileen yesterday more than I wanted to be at church. And I needed to be with Eileen more than I needed to go to church, if that makes sense. I was where I wanted and needed to be. 

Going to church is not a measure of the strength of your faith. It is a natural thing to want to be around others who believe in the same way, but faith resides within . . . whether you go or don't go to church.

Your home can be a church.




I haven't a lot planned for today. It is expected to be a mostly sunny day. I will putter around here. Do a bit of work, wait for Eileen to get back. Pamper her a bit. Tidy up a bit after the weekend. Just lollygaggle here at home.  Those are the best kinds of days I think. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 


☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*It's your road and yours alone,
Others may walk it with you,
But no one can walk it for you.
~Rumi


Chicken and Stuffing Pie


I am sharing and have re-written an older post in The English Kitchen today. Chicken and Stuffing Pie. This is easy and delicious and a great way to re-purpose leftover chicken. The creamed peas and carrots ladled over top are a lovely touch.  This is quite simply a very tasty supper.

I hope you have a beautiful day and a beautiful week. May it be filled with love and light. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!